iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Long time reader-first time poster

Started by forester2009, March 05, 2014, 07:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forester2009

Just thought I'd say Hi.  Been a long time reader of the forum for years but this is my first post ever.  My name is Mark and I'm from western PA.  This long winter has me itch-en to start milling again.
2006 WoodMizer lt70 Cat diesel Command Control,  Corley Two Blade edger, Case W7 wheelloader,  Old Hmc Debarker,  Cat Genset

Jeff

Welcome to this side of the Forestry Forum Mark. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ga Mtn Man

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.  Do you mill for others or just for yourself?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

forester2009

Thanks Jeff.  It feels good. For those that are wondering i'm running an Lt70 and case wheel loader, and  hopefully adding an edger soon.
2006 WoodMizer lt70 Cat diesel Command Control,  Corley Two Blade edger, Case W7 wheelloader,  Old Hmc Debarker,  Cat Genset

thecfarm

forester2009,welcome to the forum. That is quite the mill you have. Been sawing long? Must be stationary?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red oaks lumber

welcome f2009
sounds like a nice stable of equipment already :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

petty cash

Welcome to the forum Mark. Lots of productive ideas coming from these folks, as you already know.

forester2009

I am stationary, thinking about switching it over to electric.  I cut mostly low grade logs for ties, pallet cants, and pallet lumber.  Its only a part time gig at the moment hopefully it will be full time by the end of the year.

Ohio_Bill

Welcome   Mark, The LT70 is a serious Mill.  I saw a lot of low grade  and ties myself .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

forester2009

Ohio-Bill I enjoy following your post as well as all the other posts.  Did you get hammered with snow on monday?  I live just north of Pittsburgh and we didnt get a thing.

Ohio_Bill

Yep We got nailed Sunday  night and Monday Morning .  School was closed Monday and Tuesday .  Starting to melt today , but along way from gone .  I sawed today but was afraid to move the log truck . Tomorrow  we need to deliver some 18 ft 2 by 12 ,s   to Marietta  so hope the truck will make it out  .
Bill
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Magicman

Wow forester2009, you have been around for a while, so I will say Hello and Welcome to posting.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Possum Creek

Welcome to the forum, what kind of production do you get with the LT70? if you don't mind me asking.

forester2009

I have only had the mill for a year decent logs i can do about 5 and hour.  still need to add some equipment to really get it moving.  I dont have an edger so that really slows things down.

YellowHammer

Welcome. Good to have you join in.  I have to ask about your handle, did you become a professional Forester in 2009?
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

forester2009

Well thats the year I graduated college with a degree in forest science.  At this point in time I do not practice forestry as job.

Ohio_Bill

Forester2009, do you sell to Koppers?  They are who get my ties when I'm not sawing for the oil and gas people. I don't have an edger either, work a lot by myself and have never been sure it would help. Someday I hope to have one, just not sure when.
Bill

forester2009

Ohio-bill.  I sell to stella-jones.

bandmiller2

Welcome Mark, If you can get three phase reasonable by all means switch. I ran a LT-70 electric for a couple of years, scads of power , quiet, no fumes and sure easy to start in the cold. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Mark do you sharpen and set your own bands.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mark!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SawyerBrown

Welcome forester2009!  That's one serious mill!  Glad you finally came out of hiding, looking forward to you sharing what you know
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

5quarter

Forester2009...Glad to see you jumping in.  8) 8) I like your thread title...I sometimes have the bad habit of being a long time poster, first time reader.  ;) :D :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

forester2009

Well I just bought a sharpener and setter at auction.  But for the time being I send my blades out.

Bert

Welcome Forester2009! I'm on the opposite end of the Steel City from you.
Saw you tomorrow!

Thank You Sponsors!