iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Info on 1986 deere 540d grapple skidders

Started by logman81, March 05, 2014, 07:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Just wanted to here about them, if they are a good machine. I found a two owner one that still has the original tire and are at 50 % tread and is ready to go, what's your thoughts? The price seems very fair to me.
Precision Firewood & Logging

MJD

If it has a power shift they can be lots of $$$ to fix, I heard when they are working they are great though.

logman81

I'm not sure if it is power shift, probably is. I didn't know they made a 540 grapple I thought they were all 548's?

duckslayingpro

They did make regular 540's with a grapple. Have seen many 540B's with grapple. Very good machines.

BargeMonkey

Aftermarket grapple or a deere factory machine ? The D series machines are good, my 440D has 11.8K hours, and my cousins 540D has well over 20K.

logman81

I'm pretty sure it's a factory grapple. It has 10k original hours, has the original tires with 50% tread and is a two owner machine.

BargeMonkey

10k hours is 2nd-3rd set of tires for an 18.4-23.1 size tire. Make sure the rollers work on the fairlead- if it has a winch. Its a handy sized machine, 4-276T deere engine, starts great in the cold and doesnt eat alot of fuel. Price ?

logman81

I don't know if the tires are truly original probably not. I think most came with a winch. I would like to get away from the Detroits. Mine is a pain to start when cold and it's noisy. I've ran a 548g before and rely liked it, you can do more things with a grapple skidder I think. Don't get me wrong I like my jack but it's no grapple skidder.

logman81

What's the difference between the B and D?

MJD

I think B is just older, they went a b c d through the years.My 79 was a 440c.

nhlogga

Quote from: logman81 on March 05, 2014, 05:08:16 PM
What's the difference between the B and D?

I believe the difference is in the hydraulic system. What the difference is I am not sure of.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

nhlogga

The 548D is a great machine. Does it have a winch? Tire chains? What size tires?
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

nhlogga

Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 05, 2014, 12:53:25 PM
Aftermarket grapple or a deere factory machine ? The D series machines are good, my 440D has 11.8K hours, and my cousins 540D has well over 20K.

Post up a pic if ya got one and we can tell ya if it's a factory grapple. Back then there were quite a few 540's with aftermarket grapples on them.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

logman81

I don't have a pic I haven't called yet I just wanted to know if it was worth calling on it. It's a 1986 model year. Probably has the 23's on it. I think it could be a good up grade from my 230 timberjack but I'm not sure.

BargeMonkey

If you go to "deere.com" you can download almost any machine brochure and deere's forestry equipment line history. Im 99% sure it went B then D for the 548's. I wouldnt buy a grapple skidder with 18.4x26 tires, just to tippy. What kinda price ? You can have a G-G2 for 35k + - which is by far a better machine. The 3225 winches are ok, but youve gotta stay on top of them. Deere messed mine up rebuilding it 2 years ago, took it back again, they ate the bill.
Look it over, watch it start cold. Check the transmission out, thats the expensive stuff on them. Unless it was super clean, and had decent pins I wouldnt spend more than 20+ - on it, Lakeshore had a super clean one with brand new rubber and centers for 30k.

nhlogga

Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

nhlogga

Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

logman81

Sounds good maybe I'll take a look at it then, price he's asking is less then 20 k.

BargeMonkey

Check around the fuel tank, and the rear u-joints. Alot of guys could'nt be bothered to crawl under and grease them, kinda a pain to get just right. Other than that there's still parts and everything out there for them. Lakeshore has one right now with 23.1 and good shape for 25k, I usually base prices off him or a few other dealers, hes treated me right. Woodland equipment is another dealer for parts and service who's great. Check the steering valve for leaks, a friends 440C had a bad orbitol ? Valve and it was messy and costly.

logman81

Thanks bargemonkey I appreciate your input. If it is in good shape it would be a very good deal way under what it's worth. I've been talking with a friend that has a. 548d and he loves it. It has the power shift trans and winch very similar to this one. I think it may be worth calling and take a look at it.

deere540

I ran a 540D cable skidder years ago.  Nice machine, very maneuverable, 8 spd powershift transmission, sipped fuel.  The transmissions are very reliable if they have not been beat.  If they have, they are VERY expensive to fix.  Charge pumps, clutch packs, and planetary packs are complex and expensive to fix.  I like the JD540 that I have very much.  It's as reliable as a claw hammer and starts very well in the cold weather, but parts are expensive and the machine is not easy to work on.  Look it over real good, if it's been taken care of it's worth the money.

logman81

Thanks deere540 I'm going call on it and see what the scoop is.

thecfarm

Would it look like this?

When the logger came back the second time to cut for me,he brought this while he was here. Needed it for some of the steep areas. His forwarder did not like the stepp parts. He only had it for a little while.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

No that is a newer model, the model I'm talking about is a 540D with a open cab.

barbender

What, do you have to have a different machine for every lot you cut, Logman? ;D I'm just ribbing you, a grapple with a winch would be nice, but with all the thinning you I think you'll find it less manueverable. Now a 440 with a grapple/winch set up would be nice,  it that is a rare animal.
Too many irons in the fire

logman81

Lol! No the reason for the up grade is the fact that I just got a huge tree length firewood order , a permanent buyer for the firewood logs 2500 cords a year is what he sells. He wants me to be his supplier for it. I'm just sick of pulling cable through the brush and two feet of snow. It isn't making things productive. Plus this guy wants little $ for this skidder why not up grade! Given that it's in good shape and works good. Plus I'm getting sick of the detroits!

BargeMonkey

Thats a good pile of wood, yeah you maybe better off. I recently bought a grapple and cant wait to see the difference. Just watch putting all your eggs in one basket, I see alot of used processors with 500hrs because guys run into trouble.

brendonv

I harvest firewood with a 548g.  Has grapple and winch.  I cant imagine doing firewood with a cable.  I can grab down to about 4", bunch about ten of them and down to the landing. :D
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

logman81

Yes it would be a lot easier with a grapple . I cut both logs and firewood and it would be nice to have a grapple to sort them out.

Farmer Todd

How did that 540 look ?  I like the looks of your jack and might be in the market for one. 

logman81

I haven't had a chance to go look at it yet I've been flat out pulling tops out to fill firewood orders.

Thank You Sponsors!