iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Head block rebuild

Started by Mill Therapy, March 04, 2014, 02:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mill Therapy

New to the forum, been watching for years.

I have a band mill and have recently purchased an old circle mill which I will be rebuilding. I actually have two carriages, one is a Corley 395 (36" head block)  the other is a Corley but smaller (32" headblock). I would like to use 4 head blocks on my carriage which means I need to mix and match the head blocks.

The question is, is there a way to extend the gearing in the head block on the smaller one to make it extend to the larger or will I have to operate it using the smaller dimension. My thinking is for 90% of my milling the larger headblocks can be used, for longer logs (16') and usually therefore smaller diameter logs, the smaller headblock at the far end can be used. But that would require the different head blocks to be separated during different operations.

Thoughts?

Magicman

Since you have been "watching for years" then you know that I am of no help with your question, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mill Therapy.   :)

Now how about adding your home location to your profile which will help others with answering questions.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chopperdr47

I dont know that I could be of much help but I have a Frick that I recently rebuilt the head blocks on.

I once had someone tell me "don't tell me it can't be done, tell me how much it will cost". I'm sure that there is a way to do what you want but will it be cost effective. You should still be able to handle a substantial log using the smaller dimension.
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

bandmiller2

MT, it depends on what diameter logs your planning to mill. Unless your into large diameter logs the 32" opening should work, remember you can roll a larger log on and reduce it with your first slab cut. What diameter saw do you have that's what usally limits the log diameter. I would not be afrade to go with the 32" opening so long as the hight of the headblocks is the same or shimmed level. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dgdrls

Welcome MT,

If I understand you want to make a hybrid carriage with both 32 and 36" head-blocks??
or run both on the same track?

Best
DGDrls

Mill Therapy

yes, I want to make a hybrid carriage but can I modify the 32" headblocks to act as a 36" opening. On occasion I do mill a large diameter log, so I simply don't want to burn a bridge and not be able to handle a large diameter. The circle blade is 54" which is just about at the limit of a 36" log.

I just want to keep as many options opened as I rebuild this.

thecfarm

Mill Therapy,I like that name. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build. I would enjoying seeing pictures of your mill and I know others would too. It's also good to look back in a few years and see all your hard work come together in a nice,working sawmill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shelbycharger400

Its all about $  or tools you have available

york

Hi,follow this link,maybe he has a HB he could sell you,may save you a lot of wear and tear.....

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,68177.0.html
Albert

Thank You Sponsors!