iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skid steer tire chains

Started by Fedge, March 04, 2014, 09:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fedge

I know that a lot of you don't like skid steers for use in the woods, but its what I got, and it serves me well for many different purposes. We actually have two units, a tracked machine and a wheeled machine. We prefer to use the tracked machine, especially when we have deep snow like this year. I've got an incline that's covered in ice and the tracked machine struggles to get up it without sliding. I purchased a set on chains for the wheeled machine, hoping that it will help get up the hill. Does it make more sense to put them on the front tires or on the rear? We use a Iron and Oak log grapple on the machine. Thanks for your input!

Geoff   
A smart man knows a lot, a smarter man knows what he doesn't know.

Ford_man

I would put chains on all 4 wheels splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley

chevytaHOE5674

When I ran just two chains on my skid steer I ran them on the rear wheels, because when I was pushing snow or manure the front tires were off the ground so the backs were doing all the work. Now I run chains on all 4 and it works much better for everything.

If you are skidding with the front and reversing I would think that you would be transferring weight to the front tires so your chains would probably be best suited there.

BargeMonkey

We run them on the fronts. Had a set of tracks and wasnt impressed, went back to chains and then bought a track machine also.

Offthebeatenpath

Have you tried putting carbide studs in the tracked machine?  That worked great for me a few years ago when my tracks were in better shape than they are now.  They're easy to install and remove and help out a bunch on ice for a minimal investment.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Fedge

@Offthebeatenpath,

I haven't tried that studding the tracks but the thought had passed my mind. How good of shape do you think the tracks need to be in. Ours look pretty rough for the # of hours the machine has. The previous owner poured slabs and it looks like the gravel was tough on them. About how much did it cost to stud them on your machine? Thanks!

Geoff

Birchwood Logging

I use to run logering over the tire tracks on my 232 cat they done real well in muddy conditions but in deep snow it would pack snow in the cleats other than that they done real well lasted around 1000 hrs 
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

Corley5

I run chains on the back tires of my Bobcat 753.  I can't run them on the front because there's not enough clearance between the tires and the loader arms.  Otherwise I'd have them on all four  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offthebeatenpath

Geoff,

My ASV had probably about 1200 or so hours on the tracks when I studded them.  I'm at over 2000 now and they won't last much longer, although I'm happy with their longevity.

I'm not sure if there's really a criteria for when they'll start spitting the studs out- more of a gut check. When the tracks get raggedy and split, the studs probably won't hold for long.  That said, I could have gotten much longer studs than I did which would have helped.  They come in a bunch of sizes.  You can stud your tires too.

I think I dropped a couple hundred bucks all said and done.  There are a few manufacturers- Bair Claws, Grip studs and others.  A quick google will point you the right direction.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

ehp

I'm running chains on my front tires and they sure help alot , I have yet to get stuck this winter

Upnorth

V-Bar ice chains work great on frozen ground. I use one set only, on the front. I put them on the front only because it's quick, no jack needed, and easy to reinstall if one gets loose. They are better on the back however as you always have weight there, as opposed to scraping driveways with down pressure.

Make sure you let all the air out of the tires, install the chains snug and fill the tires to 50 psi or so. Chains won't slip at all.

I push snow with my Bobcat S185, and with the chains on, I can push snow until it comes over the cab.
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

Bobus2003

I ran them on all 4 tires of my skid Steer

MikeZ

Bought these a few years back from Eel River Steel Works in N Manchester In. Makes my JD 260 a literal bull dozer. Love it in the woods. Tears the heck out of dirt and sod though. Will slip sideways on ice if not flat. Very heavy mat'l. Bars are 1/2 X 4 I think with a slight bend in the middle( not flat) welded to 1/2" grade 70 chain. As they stretch you take out a chain link.

MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

plasticweld

I used a skid steer for years. I used a 20 ton Hydraulic which in the front that when right on the forks and also a trailer that you could load . I bought these tracks on ebay for $250 then weld up the centers where they rode on the tires with rebar. they were worn and slipped which why I got them cheap. I then added the X on the top of the track so they would not slide side ways and have good bit. I made enough to by my first skidder using this. Tires on the skid steer got put on back wards to allow enough room for the tracks. I had tried chains on all for wheels but, they fell off once in awhile and I still had problems making a mess in the landing from turning around so often

plasticweld

Fedge

Plasticweld,

Is that trailer hitched to the skidsteer? If so, I love to see more pictures of how you rigged that up. I've thought about doing that but never put much time or effort into how to make it work.

Ed

Quote from: Corley5 on March 04, 2014, 06:25:30 PM
I run chains on the back tires of my Bobcat 753.  I can't run them on the front because there's not enough clearance between the tires and the loader arms.  Otherwise I'd have them on all four  :)

Try shimming the front boom stop.  ;)

Ed

BargeMonkey

plasticweld

Here is the best picture I could find of the back. You can not see it clearly but there is a square receiver for a trailer hitch near the bottom of the rack. If I skidded wood with it had to be flush when not in use. I could raise or lower the trailer hitch by raising or lowering the bucket. For trees that were just hooked to the back of the machine I could back up to the log. lift the front end of the skid steer with the buck which lowered the back bumper. Hook up my wood and then raise the bucket to drive and this would pick up the wood so it did not drag on the ground. The 5,000 pound winch was used to get smaller logs to the back. The big winch on the front was always in place so I could always get the rig out when it loaded with logs. not un common to have more than 20 logs on the trailer

plasticweld

HousewrightVA

Never wanted a New Holland till I saw that set up.
NICE
skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

BargeMonkey

Quote from: HousewrightVA on March 07, 2014, 06:25:29 PM
Never wanted a New Holland till I saw that set up.
NICE

Thats the only brand of skidsteer or farm tractor they should make . 8)  Go blue or go home.

barbender

I run chains on my skid steer in the winter, I run them on the front if I am using my grapple attachment and on the back when pushing snow. If I wasn't cheap, I would put them on all 4 wheels ::) I run OTT tracks most of the time in the summer, the tires spin inside of them at the slightest hint of snow though. Plasticweld, I'd considered welding rebar inside of them for the tire to bite on, I'm glad to hear it works ;) That is a truly innovative set up you had.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!