iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Directional Falling

Started by Offthebeatenpath, March 03, 2014, 12:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Offthebeatenpath

When selectively thinning a tract of land while trying to minimize residual stand damage, directional falling in tight corridors is essential.  Often I can't get my skidder to the tree so I use wedges.  When that's not possible I sometimes set up a few trees and use one to push another.  I know a lot of other folks do this, but I figured I'd post a quick video of it.  The trees were notched and wedges were set before the mechanized nudge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xt_slAHuL4

Also, here is a photo sequence of falling a tree against a lean with wedges.  Don't worry, the tree wasn't leaning back as far as it looks in the photos...

Anybody else have photos, videos, tips or tricks or anecdotes about directional falling?
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

MEloggah

While making a living cutting timber by hand I've never found time to fart around taking "selfies" while working. :) the only thing I want to see is big checks twice a week!!!

I cut a lot last march with a guy, he is pretty new to logging but was wanting to learn. ::) (he never did get with the show) but at the end of the day he always would be takin pics on his phone of my woodpile and of trucks leaving....no wonder he would be gone forever on the skidder between hitches. Busy havin a photo shoot.

Btw, I can't make your video play??

OneWithWood

Thanks for the video and pics.
I really appreciate the members who take the time to share their knowledge with us on the forum.  We recognize that you go the extra mile and slow production just to share. It is what separates this forum from so many others.
Thanks again  8) 8) 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

clww

Great video and photos. :)
Thank you for sharing the knowledge.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Offthebeatenpath

MELoggah-

A big part of my business- and logging is a small part of my overall business- is education and training.  What you may see as "farting around" and taking "selfies" (although all the photos were taken by others) is a way to demonstrate best logging practices.  It helps me get niche jobs with discerning landowners. Self promotion and client education are great ways to earn business.

If you have time to comment in the middle of the day on the forum, you probably have time to take a photo or two.  It might even help you get a job down the line, especially if your work sites look neat and clean.

Anyone else having trouble viewing the video?
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

thecfarm

Video is fine on this end. keep up the good work. It does pay off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

Vid works for me.  Thanks for sharing OTBP!
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

MEloggah

You don't need pics to get work. Word of mouth does it all.

Thanks for worrying about what we're doing lol moving skidder to a # route lot actually and tightening chains. smiley_beertoast

Btw, Do the land owners like those tall stumps?

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

loggah

I did a bunch of that for certification years ago when i was on the N.H. timber harvesters council. That was the only time i used open face notches, on a big tree when you cut a open face notch ,you would have time to drink a cup of coffee, or smoke a cigarette!!!!! if i drank coffee,or smoked ;D ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Offthebeatenpath

MeLoggah,

We all love working in the woods, and there are a bunch of ways to go about it.

I get the sense that you're taking a tone with me, and I don't really know why. I'm not really interested in having a silly back and forth. I apologize for insinuating that you have enough time on your hands to take photos, and are therefore not working. I'm sure you're very busy.  I'm also pretty sure most people here on this forum work pretty darn hard and honestly.

I'm not sure what you meant by the high stumps- for the job in the photo, there was a specified 6" max stump height that was checked out by a forester after cutting.

rvolek

Vid and pics were good!! Thanks for taking the time and sharing.
74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

stoneeaglefarm

sounds like the guy in maine has a hair about something, Good video, good stumps, Been a single operator  for 28 years and I think smaller good clean jobs and shorter pulls are better than production, Taking pictures and showing short videos in my opinion shows a love of the job and the wanting to reach  out for those that may have never done the several tree felling , I love when it comes togather. Nice 440d, I have a 440c thats like a family member to me. Stay safe and lets hope we all have a great quick mud season and good markets this coming year.

stoneeaglefarm

Hey Loggah, I sat on the NH Timber council for 5 years, Was there when we started up the professional loggers program in 1995, How long did you stay.

Woodboogah

Thanks for posting the video.  I work small lot (except the one I am on now) and I would agree with you.  Landowners always ask to see previous jobs especially if they are on edge about cutting their lot.  I am happy to show them in person and pictures I have taken if they do not want to trek through the woods.  They seems to appreciate it.  I do get most of my business from word of mouth, the pictures are just nice to be able to show those who want to see and for down the road when  I want to look back on what I have done.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

sprucebunny

Thanks for posting the pics and video.
I've got lots of places where dropping one tree is a struggle because of it's close neighbors. Dropping a couple at once might be just the thing.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offthebeatenpath

Loggah,

I agree with you about the open face notch taking a bit more cutting time, but I'm used to it.  My bigger saw usually does pretty well.  I figured with your collection of saws that you'd have some old beast that could tear through the grain of a 36" inch hard pine in milliseconds regardless of the cut angle and depth- of course carrying said beast to the site and hefting it to the tree might be a different story...

danabg

You want to be careful having more than one tree sawed up at once,that's how accidents can happen.I honestly don't think its a good idea to be doing that very often,it only takes one mistake to cause a world of hurt.I got nailed by a 35 foot fir that was hung up in a yellow birch I was cutting,don't remember a whole lot about what happened,I was lucky just a few stiches and sore as hell for a few days.Not trying to tell anyone how to do their job,just thought I'd put a warning in there.

Jeff

Quote from: MEloggah on March 03, 2014, 01:34:54 PM
While making a living cutting timber by hand I've never found time to fart around taking "selfies" while working. :) the only thing I want to see is big checks twice a week!!!

I cut a lot last march with a guy, he is pretty new to logging but was wanting to learn. ::) (he never did get with the show) but at the end of the day he always would be takin pics on his phone of my woodpile and of trucks leaving....no wonder he would be gone forever on the skidder between hitches. Busy havin a photo shoot.

Btw, I can't make your video play??

Maybe you are being punished for your remarks. If not, you still may be. I'm thinking strongly about it.

Offthebeatenpath, Thank YOU for taking the time to add to the knowledge here. I and the other members that understand what this forum is all about greatly appreciate it.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

MEloggah

Lol yeh think strongly! Just don't hurt herself. I don't post or visit this site much anyways,Too many "legends". I'm out.

John Mc

I was a little worried that this thread was going to turn into a "macho-fest".  I should have known that sort of thing would get headed off before it had a chance to get going.

Thanks Jeff, and all who contribute to making this site a welcoming and open place.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jeff

The small minded man with the big mouth earned himself a permanent ban.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

There's probably a good reason why he didn't list his age.

Paul_H

Quote from: MEloggah on March 16, 2013, 09:43:16 AM
not quite 30.........5th generation.....wouldnt want to do anything but log, conventionally.

Offthebeatenpath,

I'm glad for the pics too and it really doesn't take long to put a few together.Loggers don't take coffee breaks and lunches are 20 min at best so 3-4 minutes to take a few pics to share with others isn't a big deal.
Thanks to all you guys posting of your time in the bush.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Rick Alger

Nice video.

You asked about tips. When I was running a machine, I would choke and cable all the trees in the "domino" line before they went down.  I would also back into the driver tree instead of using the blade. That way the arch was already in position to reel the hitch  in. Also if a tree got  hung up it wouldn't be that way for long.

Thank You Sponsors!