iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking into a log trailer.

Started by BargeMonkey, March 03, 2014, 03:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Wondering what you guys are running for trailers, ive started looking and trying to decide between a 3 axle slasher trailer or a "battlewagon" multi purpose trailer. The battle wagon trailer looks handy, but I dont believe I can go into finch pryn with it. Im not a big pulp guy and not looking to step into that market. Wondering what you guys are getting in bdft or cord/ tons on your trailers.

Maine logger88

My father has a 3 axle Evans he can haul around 8000bdft of pine logs and still have room and about 35 ton of pulp.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Southside

Holy, what does a 1000 bd feet of white pine weigh?  Down this way the wood alone would be over 96,000 lbs. :o
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Maine logger88

White pine around here is around 8800 to the thousand
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

BargeMonkey

The hot set-up around here for logs/pulp is 2 drive axles and 2 drops plus a heavy front on the truck, with a 2 axle wagon/pup trailer. The guy who hauls my pulp is LEGAL for 128-134k something right in there, his highway use tax is up there pretty good. In NY, if the log truck sees less than 6000 miles per year I pay nothing. Ive seen a few slasher trailers around but they are all 4-5 tier and 3 axle. Its a vicious cycle, now my tractor is a little small, so buy a bigger newer tractor, then a bigger dump trailer and lowboy. It doesnt end. Lol. The killer is the comp, why do I wanna go lay out another million plus, fight fuel costs and try to retain good help which is almost impossible. Years ago when I was a kid we where quite a bit bigger, and then downsized for a while, in the last 10 yrs we have started to get big again and all you do is chase jobs, guys and parts sometimes. I feel bad for some of these bigger guys up north, when IP quits taking wood, I had 30 load sitting there and it was 1 load a week for a while.

Southside

Barge Monkey,

I hear you loud and clear, 10 years or so back we grew into a full fledged shaving and packing mill to get better revenue for our pulp, had 5 semi's on the road, 25 or so employees all together, all I did each week was try to figure out how to make it all work, chase receivables, deal with unemployment claims, find new employees, and deal with getting everything fixed that guys broke.  24/7 6 days a week and 12 hours on Sunday, $75K in insurance annually, and I would have to see if I could get paid at the end of each week.  Even had one of the good for nothing guys we hired steal my pickup and burn it for something to do.  (he fled clear to an island after he got wind we knew who it was). 

Now it's just me, and I can pay myself twice what I did back then every week.  Had a friend in the finance world call the other day and tell me he had some investors who would be interested in buying into a logging company, buy more equipment, hire a crew, have me run it - I was tempted for a few days, then realized I would be just another guy chasing jobs all over the place racing to the bottom.  Its nice when a mill calls you and asks if you can bring in another load before morning as they want to finish off a big order of 16' pine, rather than do what IP did to you.  Heck - they even let me use their loader to unload if I get there after hours 8)

I figure if I keep repairing my older equipment it will get to the point that I will never wear it out and not have anywhere near the debit service to deal with we used to have.  Just my $0.02
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BargeMonkey

We basically refuse 99% of people looking for work, because like you said its not worth the drama or downtime. Yeah I think myself or 1 guy and call it a day. If it breaks it will be from me, not some idiot who could care less.

Timberjack_395XP

Battlewagons are great all around trailers. they've been made by steve burnett for a long time until tornado awhile back wiped out his shop in pekin in. If remember right they are getting around 4500ft on the step deck one but haven't heard in awhile

Thank You Sponsors!