iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame Play Structure

Started by Red Pill, March 02, 2014, 08:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Pill

I've been thinking of building a timber frame play fort/swing for my grandson. He's not quite yet 1, so I have some time.  :D Do you know of any plans, drawings, or ideas for such a thing? I'm absolutely new to timber framing. I'm interested in different methods, including timberframe hybrids. For such a structure would dimensional 4x4's be large enough? I'm really just thinking out loud here, looking for advice.

VictorH

Not sure I've ever seen any plans for a timber frame playset - find a nice set for typical wood construction and adapt them to your needs.  4x4 will probably prove too small as your tenons would normally only be 1 inch thick if using full 4" thick material and 7/8" if using lumberyard  4x4 which will actually be 3.5x3.5.

bmike

I built one for my sister's kids years ago (2000?). I used 6x material - 6x6 and 6x8 for the main pieces. Smaller for handrails and ladders. It had a platform, tower, slide, ladders, cantilever be for a rope to climb, and space for 2 swings. We used white oak as I was also cutting a screened porch for my parents house at the time. They even took it with them when they moved.

I'd have to look for an image or a sketch.
Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC
www.mikebeganyi.com

witterbound

They built one at the guild's western conference about 5 years ago.  I remember thinking it seemed pretty massive for a backyard.

Jim_Rogers

I think there is some type of kid's climbing thing in the guild 14 plan book.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Red Pill

dukndog

Red Pill,

I will check tonight and see if there is one in the book. If so, I'll let you know so you can order one from the Timber Framer's Guild website.

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

bigshow

I was going to build one for my kids, but as I learned from watching the neighbor kids and other friends who have fancy playsets - their kids never use them  (my neighbor has called me and asked if I was interested in letting my kids use it so at least someone would).  I was 'this' close to building one, but driving my kids a short distance to a playground makes it an event and the kids play for hours.  My kids spend more time improving coordination and strength on nearish-by playground equipment than by having one available in the backyard.  Just food for thought before the time and expense is done to see it never used.  Playsets seem to be status symbols more than bettering children's health and happiness.  Of course, there are always exceptions.  Just notes from a rural timberframing dad, with a 4 and 2 year old, who is eager to do the next timberframing project - but has wisely passed on this one.
I never try anything, I just do it.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: bigshow on March 06, 2014, 12:02:41 PM
I was going to build one for my kids, but as I learned from watching the neighbor kids and other friends who have fancy playsets - their kids never use them
<<snip>>
Good point, I see that around here all the time.  Kind of like building a play structure for a cat - looks really cool but they never use it!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

bmike

The trick is to make it open ended, and not too specific about what you can do with the thing.

Room to attach a rope and climb? Place to hang a sheet to make a tent? Platform to use as a space station, launch tower, castle, jumping platform, etc? Add in a rock climbing wall, rope, swings, ladders or toe holds, and the kids will figure it out.

If not, its way cheaper just to get some cardboard boxes and leave em on the tree lawn.

;)
Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC
www.mikebeganyi.com

LeeB

card board box = anything toy
My kids loved a big box better than any store bought toy.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

dukndog

Red Pill,

In the book  "14 Small Timber Frames", there is a plan for a kids climbing stand. That's all I could find.
I agree with the cardboard boxes!!! Helps their imagination create whatever they want!!

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Red Pill

Thanks for the help, folks. We'll see what unfolds.

Thank You Sponsors!