iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harvester GPS

Started by deastman, March 02, 2014, 03:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deastman

Loooking for info about the GPS systems that are used in harvesters,  brands, cost and how well they work. Have heard about them and that they do work well but I've never seen or used one. Any of you have experience with them? Are there different brands that are better than others?
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

1270d

we looked at john deere"s gps add on.  Its called timber navi, and would have cost around 4k if I remember correctly. 
What will you use it for?  If its for interfacing with a forester's gps, just buy the same unit as they use (probably a handheld) and trade memory cards.  there is a crew doing that up here.  forester gives them a card with all the job boundaries etc already loaded in.  I'm pretty sure they are using a Garmin, not sure what model.

snowstorm

i bought a new handheld gps from delorme  it comes with maps for all of the us. it works better than the garmin i have. it came with cds for your computer. if you walk the lot and put the gps # in for each corner you can draw it out on your computer and it will give you the acreage

SPForesrty

We use GPS in our 1270E that runs off arcview software.  The company we harvest for supplies the shape files for our blocks and we just download the files. The map toggles on when we start to travel and off when we use functions on the harvester head.  Or we can do it ourselves.   Wouldn't want to run without it now. Especially helpful around buffers and block boundries .  Very inexpensive if your have the arcview software, I think the gps receiver cost 40 bucks and a tech guy set it up in 20 minutes.  Could also display on a separate monitor.  I think a 8-10 inch display was a few hundred dollars.   

1270d

does it run on the deere gps?  I m interested in more info on your setup SP as I'd like a similar setup.  we do quite a bit of running around chasing small, scattered patches of timber, seems like it would be very helpful having it all mapped into the onboard computer.  Although the company we're cutting for recently switched away from arcview.  not sure what their program is now.

SPForesrty

We don't use the deere gps. Ours is a small gps that you can buy from an electronics store that plugs into the usb port in the harvester.  On the E series there are 4 usb ports in the storage compartment under the right side window.  I am not that familiar with the sync or set up of the systems, I had someone do it for me.  We were going to use another system that was quite expensive but after talking to a tech guy he said since we have a PC based computer in the machine already we could get everything we needed with the $40 gps (and of course arcview).  I was going to look into Deeres Timber Nav but have been using this for six months and it has worked well.   

Thank You Sponsors!