iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a log slabbed

Started by Girk, March 02, 2014, 03:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Girk

I have a silver maple log that I would like to get slabbed.  The problem is I live in south central Kansas, and I don't know of any mills here that can slab a log this size.  The width is about 72 inches at the widest.  I've worked with the Kansas Forest Service and they don't know of anyone.  Who out there could slab this, and how far would I need to go to find someone to do this?  Thanks.

m wood

holy smokes girk!!  That being said, I bet there's a slabber or two that can solve your problem.  How near they are to you is a seperate issue.  You'll start getting some answers soon I'll reckon.
Good luck and welcom to the forum.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

terrifictimbersllc

No idea.  I've cut these up to 60", silver maple isn't that difficult to saw but the heartwood can be very hard requiring fresh sharp chains as needed.   Yours is one for a 6' Lucas slabber, I'd start with Lucas Australia, Bailey's or the Left Coast guys to find the nearest one of those.  If you can tolerate shaving down to 60", you'll open up more options with owners of standard Lucas and Peterson slabbers, or at 67" a Wood-Mizer 1000 could do it,  if you want to tote it to the nearest one of those.   Granberg or Bailey's might also be a lead to someone who put together a wide chainsaw driven mill. 

Curious if you poked around in that crotch with a rod to find out if it's sound.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Nomad

Good luck with it!  I'd really like to see how this plays out.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Girk

The wood is sound, which is a bit surprising for silver maple, at least in our area.  Here is a picture of the butt end, which shows a crack, but it is very solid. 

Girk

Okay, let me try the pic again.

drobertson

big'un! this will be fun to watch in the progression.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

SPD748

Oh what a beautiful kitchen table that beast would make! I can't help with the slabber search however I'll be watching the progress.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

kelLOGg

:o Scott Smith, do you do Kansas? :o
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

thecfarm

Girk,welcome to the forum. Glad to see the ends sealed. That thing is HUGE!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

StimW

Curious what your plans are for the slabs when you get them?
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

47sawdust

The split might go all the way through.In that case it might be easier to split it and saw it on a large bandmill.Always good to have a project.Good luck.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Magicman

What is the diameter of the main log?  That 60" slabber 60 miles away may be your best option.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mikeb1079

i know it's not an "ideal" solution...but if you ripped it thru the crack you could have the two halves milled.  if it were carefully done you could glue the two matching halves back together and you'd probably be the only one to ever know that there's a seam there.  would be easier to move, dry, and machine as well.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Part_Timer

OH my OH my!!!!  If I had a slabber I'd travel to KS just to try it out on that one!!!!!  It should be beautiful!!!!!!
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Seaman

Let's see, dollar a mile each way, plus milling time, probably still be worth it. ;)

You could turn it 90 deg, so one fork is up. You don't get crotch slabs, but you usually get a lot more curl in the wood . You end up with some round edge slabs, but they are still marketable as coffee or end tables.
I would trim the wings just enough, and saw it like it lays.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Girk

The circumference of the butt end is 175".  Since it came from my parents' house, there is a nostalgia factor that may trump economic good sense -- I guess that's why I would really like to get it slabbed.  I'm sure I will find some way to use it once slabbed, though at this point I don't have specific plans.  I'll wait and see what it looks like once it's opened up.   I have a farm dump truck, so I can get it to a slabber, assuming the weight isn't too much.  For additional perspective, I've added a picture of the tree trunk before it was taken down.  There are two smaller crotch pieces (30-36") on the top part of the trunk shown in this picture that I also want to slab.

GF

Since its that close to the house, curious what the chances are that is may have metal in it.  It would make some nice large slabs.

JohnM

Girk, welcome to the forum!  That thing is amazing!  First thing I thought when I saw the "stump" picture was 'Oy that poor foundation!', I have to assume there's some damage there.  As GF says, I'm sure there's some metal in it but short of a couple of anvils I'd think it's still worth slabbing.  Looking forward to the progress. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Ocklawahaboy

I bet there were some tense moments as some of those limbs were removed from over the house.  I think everyone in the family needs a matching coffee table. 

two-legged-sawmill

Hello Girk, Welcome to the Forum, thats a nice problem you have. I am sure if word gets around enough there will be someone that step-up and do it!
     If it was a few years ago I would volenteer, I still have my Homlite 9-23
saw with a 7 foot Cannon Bar and 1/2" pitch chain. Biggest and most powfull one man saw back then. Very carefully a man can turn out nice slabs free hand.
I will be surprised if some young man doesn't step-up and do that.The slabs will not be as smooth as slabber or a band mill but very useable, Many Guys that split their over size logs can do it! Seen the pictures here on the Forum.
     This is a good challenge. Dansr
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

Girk

Never say never, but I doubt the log has metal in it.  My folks had that lot when the tree was a sapling, built the house around it.  I remember a bird feeder from a branch, and that's it.  No steps to a tree house, ever.  So I'm not too worried about metal.

5quarter

Great "log"!
   On two separate occasions, I found huge silver maple trunks at the log dump like the one you have. both had clusters of blister figure showing under the bark. I cut out the best sections with my chainsaw and took the chunks back to the mill and sawed them up. really great stuff.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

JohnM

Quote from: Girk on March 03, 2014, 08:46:40 PM
Never say never, but I doubt the log has metal in it.  My folks had that lot when the tree was a sapling, built the house around it.  I remember a bird feeder from a branch, and that's it.  No steps to a tree house, ever.  So I'm not too worried about metal.
Girk, that's great that you know the whole history on that tree.  Good luck with it, hope you find someone to help ASAP.  Maybe an ad in Craigslist would help?  (Screen potential 'millers' carefully!! ;D)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Thank You Sponsors!