iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A (half) a day with Raider Bill

Started by wildbill, March 02, 2014, 10:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildbill

Yesterday my dad came over so he could use his table saw.  i stole it when i wore mine out.  After we got his project glued up we hopped in his truck (my passenger door doesnt work...still) and headed to home depot.  The employees found the saw and brought it up front.  When it came time to pay the old man said he was going to pull the truck around (dang).  We came back to the house where he made fun of my flat tired wheel barrow (and then laughed at the slight chaos of putting air in the tire).  We were finally able to get the box out of the truck.  We spent a couple hours assembling.  when it was time for him to go home all that was left was the power switch and adjustments.

I cut some scrap pine, plywood and white oak into small pieces just to play around.  Then some maple for pens my neighbor asked for.  Today i will probably make a new crosscut sled.  Since im going from a small contractors saw to a bigger boy table saw none of my homemade jigs and sleds fit.

Was a good day spent with the old man.

The reasoning behind this table saw:
1. lifetime warranty
2. weight (270lbs)  i hated chasing my little contractors saws around the shop when i cut hardwood
3. in my price range.  the other brands saws that compared to this one were lighter and 1 year warranty
Raider Bill's favorite son

thecfarm

Enjoy your time with your Father. Enjoy your new saw too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Nice saw! sounds like a great day with Dad!  He may be over to see you again,(and use the saw) ;D
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

wildbill

as such a good day with the old goat I'm going to spend this afternoon/evening at his place.

the free meal has nothing to do with me going over there...really

julio

If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

wildbill

not sure yet.

its rare that dinner over there is bad though

thechknhwk

My dad has that same saw and he likes it plenty.  He said I could have it for my shop when I get a bigger setup, but I ended up finding a delta unisaw that the owner is storing til spring for me.

Magicman

I like Ridgid tools.   :)

Making a half day into a whole day with your Dad is a good thing.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Good times with folks make for good days.  I hope you enjoy your new saw.  Jmoore has had a rigid saw that is similar to yours for a while and he has turned out some phenomenal projects on it. 

Today, Jmoore and I used an old Craftsman table saw (bench saw) that belonged to my Granddaddy.  I realized that I had not used that saw since my oldest daughter was about two years old, she is now 19.  My dad said that it must be about 65 years old.  It is amazing to me that he was able to turn out the quality of work with that saw that he did considering the slop in the fence, the relatively low powered motor and the small table.
Caveman
Caveman

WDH

Nice saw. 

Now you have to come get some pecan  :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wildbill

Quote from: WDH on March 02, 2014, 07:52:32 PM
Nice saw. 

Now you have to come get some pecan  :D :D.

i think i said at least 3 times this evening that he has to drive to TN next time so that on the way back he can visit you...and to bring his wallet.  i think he is convinced on driving, not sure on the buying part though :)

Texas Ranger

Give him a wack of sweetgum and pecan.  Keep him busy for a while 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

If he does not have any money, all he gets is sweetgum.  I pay people to take the sweetgum  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

julio

you gave him enough pecan the last time we was together. 8)
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

Don_Papenburg

Not to butt in butt, If you pay people to take the sweet gum ,just pay him in walnut to take that old sweetgum.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Magicman

Give Sweetgum, pay with Walnut, and tip with Cherry.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Raider Bill

The peecan Danny gave me is used to make smoke ;) ;) well most of it is the rest Wildbill snatched up for projects.

We again discussed getting a sawmill but still the same problems stop us.

Looks like I'm driving to Tenn again in the beginning of April so will have a chance to stop at Danny's Hardwood and Great Guy supply.

Spending time with my number 1 and favorite Son is always a day well spent. 8)

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

wildbill

Since we are on the topic of pecan...

how much am iI going to regret putting a piece of it on the lathe?  Dad lost a candle base and wants a new one.

I'm a little worried about doing anything with the pecan since you pro's have such nice things to say about it

Mooseherder

Pecan turns with no problems on the lathe.  I made a handle for a wood turning tool with a piece from Danny.
Could be our peecohns are related. ;)
It's purty and still works.

Dave Shepard

That thing looks like a tire iron. What do you have to do, subdue it before you can turn it? :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Mooseherder

Necessity is the mother of invention. ;)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I have a pry bar like that but it has a plastic handle.   :-\

WDH

Pecan handles are tougher than plastic ones  :).

Magicman

LeeB

The bowl in the lower right of the picture is pecan. Keep your tools sharp. They will dull quickly.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

During my woodworking years, Pecan was my favorite species to work with.  I bought a truckload of 1" lumber that had been sawn from a very large tree.  I always told my customers that they were getting a rare treasure because the lumber was beautiful with the natural black ambrosia beetle holes.  Some wanted additional pieces later, but the lumber was gone.  Pecan is not always bad  smiley_devil

WDH

There are several immutable truths in the Universe.

1).  What goes up, must come down - Gravity
2).  All things tend toward disorder - 2nd Law of Thermodynamics
3).  Pecan limbs fall

Magicman

Oh don't mention them.  There are twelve Pecan trees in the front and back yards at the Cabin.  Many more in the area that we mow.  My second most hated thing has gotta be Pecan limbs.  Not too far behind the limbs are the trees themselves.  Only six out of the twelve are nut producers.  The others just provide shade.....and limbs.   :-\

WDH

I see that you understand  :D. 

The finished wood is beautiful.  It is just all the other parts of the process that are the  smiley_devil.  Being a hickory goes that  :).

Thank You Sponsors!