iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Marcia's firewood finds

Started by timberlinetree, March 02, 2014, 06:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

Here's some wood that Marcia and I thought were really cool.

Yes I'm a lucky guy
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

logman81

That is cool, I like working with wood you never know what your going to fined.
Precision Firewood & Logging

DeepCreek

Quote from: timberlinetree on March 02, 2014, 06:36:01 AM

Yes I'm a lucky guy

You sure are. That's a nice looking piece of machinery you have.  8)

Oh, wait. . . . . . . . Never mind.   :-[ :-[ :-[   

:D ;D :D

mesquite buckeye

Treat her right and she will keep right on smiling. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Decked

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on March 02, 2014, 11:00:49 AM
Treat her right and she will keep right on smiling. ;D

That goes for Marcia, too  ;D

shelbycharger400

whats with that tree looking deal in the wood? Were sitting here eyeballing it trying to figure it out,  Your logo?

David-L

Hope a forester chimes in. These little marks I believe are made buy some little black hardshell beetle. I see it in soft maple only and was wondering what they are? also did anyone see the blip on the 2nd page of the Northern logger and how new studys show that the Red maple is a bigger host tree than the Sugar maple for the AL Beetle. That might be a better scenario in some cases for sugar producers and are ( ACER SACHRUMS ).

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

logman81

Red maple you say! That's just wonderful that's our state tree and we have a lot of it.
Precision Firewood & Logging

David-L

Logman , sorry to put it like that. I love red Maples, drys quick and is a good mix in firewood deliveries. the color is none better in the fall. This was a read from the most recent Northern logger, and I was suprised as I have heard nothing about this news. Was in Rhodey over the weekend and did some back roads in Exeter and enjoyed the scenery.
                                          David l

mesquite buckeye

Here is some shingle oak firewood my sister got out of her woods. ;D

Special iron discount. :) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ohio_Bill

I'm 63 years old and have been in the woods for the biggest part of my life.  Every time a piece of firewood is split or a log sawed into a board it's still like opening up a Christmas present.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

LeeB

So, is it called shingle oak because it already has nails, just split and it's ready to go?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

timberlinetree

Thanks so much everyone  :) The little tree marking is made from a bug that infects red maple. The leopard looking wood is black birch. Wish this stuff paid higher because of the character of the wood! Instead its going to pulp, pellets, and firewood... If you know of anyone looking to do some projects pm me.

Here is bug infested red maple from the butt end...

BargeMonkey

We save any of the odd or special looking stuff from the mill or processor. Big demand from guys doing taxidermy or some of the craft people making bowls. We manufacture grade stakes from the lowgrade, had a pile of DRY 2x2 stock 12"-18" long we couldnt give away, figured someone would make spindles or crafts. Went in the OWB. Decent demand down here for reject pine / hemlock boards for "Ducks Unlimited".

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: LeeB on March 04, 2014, 04:22:22 AM
So, is it called shingle oak because it already has nails, just split and it's ready to go?

Woven wire fence.

Shingle oak splits easily and is apparently moderately rot resistant. They used to use it to make shingles for buildings.

colincb183

Columbian timber beetle does that to the red maple

David-L

Colincb183, columbian timber beetle. Thank You.

David L

timberlinetree

Cleaning out my godfather's basement - this was bought when they built the house in 1971 and never used! At 79¢ and a 3 hour burn time plus the multicolored flames, would have been quite the groovy time  8)

luvmexfood

Growing up in the coal fields of Southwest Va. it was amazing to see some of the fossils in the coal that came out of the mines. Perfectly formed fern leaves and stems that had been eons in the making. And the miners were not even looking for them. They would just sometimes spot them.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!