iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guidance need for dehumidification kiln

Started by Raym, March 02, 2014, 05:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raym

Here is where I stand. I have built a 22 x 18 building that I cut in a basement with 10" poured concrete walls. There is a 9' opening on the rear with 2 framed doors hinged on the sides. The basement will be my drying chamber and has 4" framed walls on the side with 4" closed foam insulation sprayed. I am using a nyle l200m (with a powered vent) unit with an additional heat source from a hardy outside wood furnace.

My question is am I on the right track and am I missing anything?
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Escavader

Any circulation fans for a kiln that large?how many board feet in your kiln
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Having a light or two in the chamber can be helpful.  Moisture proof hardware is wise.

You do not indicate the type of door, but make sure you have a knob on the inside.

The condensate from the dehumidifier needs a drain.

You may want a hole in the wall to run wires, such as for temperature measurement, power for the DH if it is inside, etc.  Fill the hole with foam and then you can add wires if needed.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Raym

Escavader-yes there are 2 circulation fans  and I should be able to get close to 4000bf loaded at a time.

Gene, thanks, I didn't think about the lights. The doors are 2x framed and insulated. Since the outside grade is above the chamber slab floor, I was considering installing the nyle unit on a platform so that the condense line can drain outside. The platform would only need to be 24" off the floor.

I wish the weather would break so I can finish....I have a load of white pine a customer has delivered.
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Escavader

Use a thought out baffle system so you force the air through the pack blocking air going around sides,over the top 0r even under neath .if you are dbl stacking place a baffle board so air can't go between every little thing you do helps  I dry 8 million feet of white pine a year and I know hot temps with poor air flow makes white pine brown stain
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

GAB

Raym:
Approx. 4 years ago I spoke with a Mr. Lewis representing the Nyle Corporation and I believe he told me that for a kiln to dry lumber longer than 16 feet that they recommend 3 circulating fans.  So, I suggest that you call them and discuss this issue with them, before you spoil or degrade a load needlessly.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Escavader

Our Nyles kilns have 4  approx 52 inch fans at1750 rpm each we dry 16 ft lumber approx 15000 bf in each mabey we have more because we blow through  more lumber  we stack 3 units high and 5 units deep 
Alan Bickford

Thank You Sponsors!