iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherry Log

Started by scleigh, March 02, 2014, 12:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scleigh

I had a cherry log that I had been holding onto and decided to saw it today. Amazing how crooked a log can really be once you get it on the mill. Got 6 nice boards and 2 flitches with some clear pieces. Does cherry grow straight anywhere?

Also hit metal for the first time today. Just grazed the corner of the backstop on two separate occasions; of course with a new blade each time.

drobertson

Very rich color in that one!  I have seen some pretty straight logs, only after they were bucked to length ;D
the bigger the dia. it seems they get better, I guess that is kinda a no brainer,   back stops are blade killers,
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Cherry is very shade intolerant.  If a cherry is an understory tree here in the South, it will seek the light and curve and twist its way to the most sunlight.  That is why we have such crooked cherry in the South.  Where cherry is a dominant tree in the canopy, like in West Virginia and Pennsylvania for example, they grow very nice and straight.  It is all about sunlight.  Sunlight grows leaves and leaves grow wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

orion388

Thank you WDH for that simple but profound answer. Answers why my few cherrys look like they do !

John
LT35HD, Kubota L4330, Stihl 361, 026, Massey Fersuson 55, Ventrac, Grasshopper, Small dumptruck and a huge yearning for knowledge from this forum.

WDH

At least here in Georgia, cherry is usually found in the fence rows (birds) or it is an understory tree and generally crooked. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

...and then sometimes you just get lucky, even here in Georgia...

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WDH

Paul, your mountain cherries are surely not fence row trees  ;D. 

(I am jealous  :)).

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

Your lumber will make a nice woodworking project, scleigh.    Sorry about the (two) metallic lessons.   :-\

Sometimes a customer calls with many Cherry logs.

This job was nothing but Cherry.

Some of which were very nice.

That made some nice whacks of lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shelbycharger400

magic...    im supprised ya havent put forks on the deere.  moving logs with a bucket is a pain with chains.

low_48

All that sapwood, and knots, is going to make that cherry a challenge to dry for high yield.  Go really slow at the start!

Magicman

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on March 02, 2014, 10:29:01 AM
magic...    im supprised ya havent put forks on the deere.
Alas, the Deere belonged to the customer.  I can only wish.

We were using the end tongs.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerBrown

Wow, nice cherry, Mtn Man and MM!  The patterns in yours, MM, are extraordinary!  What do you think those dark streaks are coming from periodically from the top through the sapwood in the second picture?

Cherry is some of my favorite wood to work with (as a woodworker) -- relatively easy to machine, beautiful colors, ....  By the way, in all the projects I've ever worked in cherry, I've never stained ... always left it it's natural color.  It darkens anyway with sunlight and age.  I'm so jealous ...
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Magicman

Some sorta mineral stains I guess.

That log was curly all of the way through.  :)

SawyerBrown

That is just gorgeous, gorgeous wood ... Mmm, mmm, mmm.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

WDH

Southern cherry usually has a lot of pitch pockets that cause the dark flecks and streaks.  Northern cherry does not have as many of them.  That is one reason that Northern (Yankee) cherry is preferred by furniture manufacturers. 

cutterboy

Quote from: scleigh on March 02, 2014, 12:51:46 AM
Does cherry grow straight anywhere?

Not on my farm. I have a number of cherry trees but I haven't found a straight one yet. :-\
BTW, nice looking boards.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Peter Drouin

Yankee cherry I like that  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

cutterboy

Quote from: WDH on March 02, 2014, 07:22:35 PM
Southern cherry usually has a lot of pitch pockets that cause the dark flecks and streaks.  Northern cherry does not have as many of them.  That is one reason that Northern (Yankee) cherry is preferred by furniture manufacturers.

Just as you say WDH, most of my (Yankee) cherry is free of pitch pockets but I sawed one tree that was loaded with them. I was worried the lumber wouldn't sell. Well, a guy looked them over and loved them. He bought every board. Just goes to show you that there is a customer for every board.     Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

The beauty is absolutely in the eye of the beholder and the project that he has in mind.  scleigh's bookmatched boards as pictured in the OP will make a stunning project.  Lumber from crooked and funky logs is something that you can not buy in any lumber yard or store, which gives them their own unique personality.   :)

Okrafarmer

And you can make rocking horses, rocking chairs, and other curved items out of the cherry around here. It will dry in all sorts of amazing shapes.  :(
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

mometal77

Nice looking bunch of big cherry trees.  Here when they widened the road into Lynden,Wa those old black walnut trees did not have a chance nor did they use them for firewood. Never seen such a waste in my life of  such old trees. I do wish those kind of cherry trees got that big here they rarely get upto a foot in diameter around me.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Part_Timer

Very nice stuff y'all are sawing.  I like the smell of it when milling and drying.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

WDH

I, too, prefer the cherry with the pitch pockets and dark streaks.  Gives it that hand-made character.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on March 02, 2014, 07:22:35 PM

Someone musta forgot to tell my Southern Cherry about the dark flecks and streaks ???

;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!