iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl RMHS harvester chain

Started by 1270d, March 01, 2014, 10:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

Anyone tried it?  Im going to try to get a couple loops, one of the euro forums seems to have a lot of guys using it.  Ive only used Oregon 18hx so far.

treeslayer2003

I didn't know they made it. let me know what ya think.
what about those funny name bars......they black, IDK the name. igusund?

BargeMonkey

Ive used Stihl harvester chain in .404 .063 and found it was 2x better than the oregon equivalent. It tends to stretch a bit more, but would take the dirt and frozen stuff a little better. Im trying to find some in 18h now, Oregon did away with .063 bars,

snowstorm

i have been using it for 2 yrs. i like it. the local stihl chain saw dealer stocks it for me

1270d

Its not uncommon to have brand new 18hx chains break, or break after a couple sharpenings.  Hoping stihl might not be that way.

I did try the iggesund bars.  They re very flexible but the Oregon chains I use were narrower than the rails.  This caused them to get a huge burr very quick.  My other complaint was that they don't seem to be exactly the same shape when you flip them.  When they mounted with the writing visible everything is fine, when reversed they would hit on the head frame ruining the chain.

NWP

I've had good luck with 18x Oregon chains not breaking but I had trouble with 16x chains breaking.

I tried an Iggesund bar. It seemed to do ok until it was worn a little. I probably had the same issue of the chain being a little narrower than the bar rails too.

I'd like to try the Stihl chain to see how it does.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Ken

We have been using Oregon bars and chains but the dealer did not have any Oregon a couple weeks back so I got some Stihl chains.  2 of them broke before even sharpening and the dealer told me that was quite common for them as he replaced them.  I did however notice that they cut better than the Oregon out of the box and seemed to hold their edge longer. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

snowstorm

i have had some of the rakers break off. one almost new broke most of them . the dealer replaced it. i also tried the sthil bars. no spring to them. bend them just a little try to straighten them and they break. i like the iggesund bars. the only trouble i had was the rails spread after a lot of use. a hammer and vice took care of that. and the oil hole where it goes into the rail is smaller than some

snowstorm

the sthil chain cuts really good when new. the hard part is to grind a used one to cut like a new one. it will cut good but not quite like a new one

snowstorm

Quote from: 1270d on March 01, 2014, 10:55:34 PM
Anyone tried it?  Im going to try to get a couple loops, one of the euro forums seems to have a lot of guys using it.  Ive only used Oregon 18hx so far.
euro forums??? fill me in

1270d

I dont like the black color of the Iggesund either, tough to see sometimes. 

Maybe the factory grinds chain with a double angle wheel, like square grind almost looks like.

I usually stop using a chain after 5 or 6 repairs, they are about 3/4 used up by then.  Its been a long time since I've worn out a chain.

treeslayer2003

so the stihl chain is not semi chisel like 18x?
I seem to have more trouble bending bars than any thing, I guess because sometimes I won't run the bell for almost a year. outta practice. I did find the .80 much more durable than .63. 3/4 prolly more so but I doubt the little deutz would pull it.

snowstorm

i built a press to straighten my bars. now i dont bend very many of them.

Thank You Sponsors!