iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT35 Debarker

Started by SawyerBrown, March 01, 2014, 10:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

Wonder if anybody else is frustrated with the debarker on the LT35? 

On Monday I was sawing a big (32"+) log, and the debarker kept getting hung up.  Ended up with my broom handle in one hand pushing the debarker out until the saw got rolling, and hoping that I didn't hit another narrow spot and have to do it again.  It's like there's not enough spring action to get it out of the way before entering the log.  Doesn't appear to be much adjustment.  It seems like it just doesn't have enough range of motion ...
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

thechknhwk

Exactly why mine is gone.  I should have got the fine adjust outriggers it would have been way more helpful...

orion388

yes had the same issue....

What I did to solve the issue was really quite simple. The "stop" at the end. Took my sawsall and cut roughly 1/4" off of it at the same angle which gained a bunch more range of movement. Really seems to let it get out where it needs to be when you are sawing the big stuff. Hope this helps. Can take a pic if you need to see what I'm talking about.

John
LT35HD, Kubota L4330, Stihl 361, 026, Massey Fersuson 55, Ventrac, Grasshopper, Small dumptruck and a huge yearning for knowledge from this forum.

drobertson

I don't have that mill, but it sounds like the fix is an easy one that orion described.  I have to think having this option is pretty important one.  Hope you get it working like you need,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

MotorSeven

This is my next mill...I'd like to see what WM has to say about it and are they aware of the issue?
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

hunz

As soon as mine comes in, in April, I will get a video of it up. I know they added the power in and out however, I am unsure if the range of motion issue was addressed.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Wellmud

I do believe Woodmizer is aware of its downfall as when I was at their open house last month they said that they were re-working the design of it.
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

thechknhwk

I'm sure they'll send me a free one to demo :D

SawyerBrown

hwk, put me down for a test unit as well!   ;D

John, I think you're cutting the stop up at the pivot where the travel pin goes through, right?  If that worked for you with no ill effects , then I'm going to give it a try as well.  Thanks!!

Pete
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

orion388

Quote from: SawyerBrown on March 02, 2014, 07:04:23 PM
hwk, put me down for a test unit as well!   ;D

John, I think you're cutting the stop up at the pivot where the travel pin goes through, right?  If that worked for you with no ill effects , then I'm going to give it a try as well.  Thanks!!

Pete

that is correct.. Trimmed about 1/4" off it at the same angle
LT35HD, Kubota L4330, Stihl 361, 026, Massey Fersuson 55, Ventrac, Grasshopper, Small dumptruck and a huge yearning for knowledge from this forum.

reswire

I was looking at a lt 35hd awhile back.  Seemed like a great saw, and I'm sure it is. I'm just curious what the largest slab you can cut on that mill.  How wide is it from roller guide, to roller guide?  The price on the mill was really good, still thinking,,,,
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

SawyerBrown

reswire, guide to guide is right at 24", if I remember correctly.  However, there's about a 2" gap between the stationary guide and the stops, so effectively you can cut a 22" swath with the movable guide all the way out (unless you notch the cant a little bit so it sets over the stops ... which I have done before).

WM advertises 32" log capacity, and that is pretty close.  I sawed a pignut hickory a week ago that was even a little bigger, and had to do just a little trimming with hatchet and chainsaw to make it work.  Just for fun (I love geometry), I sat down with pencil and paper and tried to figure out the biggest THEORETICAL log you could saw, and if you hang the log over the stops so the mast just clears going by (about 6" past the stops), and take the saw all the way up (just over 32"), one could just get to 36" if you were willing to waste some of the outside by "bibbying" (basically rotating less than 90-deg angles and peeling it like a potato).  But that's if everything is exactly perfect ...

Sure that's more than you wanted to know, but still have a little coffee left to finish before heading out to the shop   :D

But yes it's a great little saw.  Except for debarker discussion above, I love the mill and I love the company.  It has my "two thumbs up".

reswire

I sold my old mill yesterday, and I believe I'm head'in to the Woodmizer dealer for a new saw.  It's just so much money to spend, I don't want to get the wrong model for me.  I've looked into Baker sawmills, but their large gas mill doesn't have a setworks available, unless you go to the diesel model which is about 41k,,, just a little more than I can budget.  Woodmizer seems like the better choice for me, I like the idea of the support system, having a team of mechanics at my beck and call.    :D  Sometimes we just need that level of support. 
The lt40 hydraulic seems like the one Ill buy.  Every time I go on the website, I click on all the add-ons I want, and before you know it I'm over budget!!  I'm going to keep looking used, but it doesn't seem to be too many out there unless the orange paint turns to gold. >:( ;D   I guess I'll just bite the bullet and go broke.
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

SawyerBrown

That was my dilemma as well.  At the time, it was about another $5k for the 40, and I wasn't sure it would ever pay for itself.  The LT35 has done just fine, although in hindsight I might have bought the LT40.  I don't think you can go wrong with either mill. 

Good luck, keep us posted on your decision!

millwright

I modified the arm so that the debarker will swing up and slightly back . This was done by cutting the arm and welding a hinge to it, then I attached a lever hooked to a light  chain to pull it up. It stays out of the way when I don't need it.

Thank You Sponsors!