iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying logs

Started by Bub, March 01, 2014, 08:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bub

How's the best way to get logs I'm just getting started should I buy from loggers tree service or what. Iam wanting to saw ties an grade lumber any info would be mighty helpful this is the last step before firing up an tryin to make money any info or tips?

drobertson

Howdy bub, I'm not sure about your area, as too how many mills are near by, is there a lot of private land being logged, and in general how is the timber economy.  I can say that contacting local loggers would be the first start.
Then having a cash flow to purchase these logs would be necessary.   Having the ability to unload would be at times critical, and in a timely fashion.  Prompt payment is also critical as is moving them as to ensure they (loggers) have an outlet for more income.   Tree service can work and has for me at times, its just risky on metal in the logs as well as most logs are shorter and not as clear.   The only way to find out is to go for it and see where it winds up.  Logs are a premium for big mills and they are hard to beat out.  Local, private land owners are an option.  But they too want speed and cash for the most part.     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

shinnlinger

Are you asking because you are thinking of getting a mill?   If so I highly suggest you figure that out Before you take the plunge.    Free to cheap quality logs and a way to quickly get them and move them around are really an overlooked key component IMO.   
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Bub

I have a mill lt40 hydraulic I farm so I have tractors an such this something want to try to bring more money in 

Red Good

Got a guy cutting down the road about 10 miles from us and have been hearing stories about what the logs are worth . What is a realistic price for a 10 foot 30 inch walnut log ? Or the same size red oak log  ? Just get me in the ballpark . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

muck

@Red
Im in Northern Ca. and a guy has a 20' 28" Black Walnut log he wants 300.00 for it over in Napa. its in Craigslist in the S.F. bay under Black Walnut.

Ron Wenrich

Best way to buy logs on a consistent basis is from loggers.  Choose your logger wisely, as I've seen some dump junk on small mills that they couldn't sell anywhere else.  Tree service cutters aren't loggers.  A lot of times the logs are cut short, since they don't have the equipment to handle big logs.  They won't be trimmed as well.  Also, the quality isn't as good.  You will probably get a bunch of off species.  Loggers would also have a more consistent supply.  Many loggers have self unloading trucks.  Everything drobertson said about pay is spot on.

How much to pay is dependent on the quality of the log.  A veneer quality red oak log goes for $1.50/bf, but a low grade quality log would be 6-10% of that.  The walnut prices are higher, and would generally offer more clear lumber.  Other factors are if they're delivered in or if you have to do the trucking. 

A breakeven log price = lumber value - sawing costs.  That's the price sitting in your yard.  You have to have a decent idea of what your lumber value is going to be and how much your sawing costs are.  If you don't know that, then log price is a just a guess.  One thing is that you'll have to compete with the local log market, so if you can't pay what the neighboring mill is paying, you might starve for logs.

The walnut in Norther CA has about 450-500 bf in it.  It seems like a good price, but it might be in his back yard.  You need to know all the details before you know whether its a good price or not.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

YellowHammer

Buying reliable quantities of high quality logs of different species is something that takes quite a bit of effort for me, and I've had to build "real" business relationships with several local loggers, mills, and even log brokers to consistently get the species I want, when I need it.  I had to prove to them that I wasn't just playing around and they could also rely on me to take delivery on time, and to pay the bills. 

Also, if a logger is cutting a track with no decent oak, then he's not going to leave until he is done just to get a few oak trees for me.  Same thing with mills, they may have a lot of maple on the yard, but if they have a big order, I can only get it when that is filled, which may not be for a few weeks.  So I have to make a few phone calls to see who is in a tract of land that has the species I want, then I can get what I need.

A major key for my business is reliable log suppliers; I can't sell it if I don't have it.

Also, cash talks.

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

Quote from: YellowHammer on March 02, 2014, 08:18:05 AM
Buying reliable quantities of high quality logs of different species is something that takes quite a bit of effort for me, and I've had to build "real" business relationships with several local loggers, mills, and even log brokers to consistently get the species I want, when I need it.  I had to prove to them that I wasn't just playing around and they could also rely on me to take delivery on time, and to pay the bills. 

Also, if a logger is cutting a track with no decent oak, then he's not going to leave until he is done just to get a few oak trees for me.  Same thing with mills, they may have a lot of maple on the yard, but if they have a big order, I can only get it when that is filled, which may not be for a few weeks.  So I have to make a few phone calls to see who is in a tract of land that has the species I want, then I can get what I need.

A major key for my business is reliable log suppliers; I can't sell it if I don't have it.

Also, cash talks.

YH

The same way here. I have had a logger stand here and wait for me to add up the logs BF and pay him right then and there. I think where it was the first time we did business together, he wanted to see how I did things. He liked the way I scaled the logs and what I deduct for sweep and red rot. It was w pine.
Now he just sends logs and I send him a check.
Then you have to go through loggers or people you get logs from, some say one thing and do another. The big thing is to have professional people around you to work with. All the others that talk out of there back side I have no time for  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red oaks lumber

peter
i refer to that area as the tail pipe :D
building good relations with log source (logger) is key.  you may want to pay a visit with your county forester, they have lists of contractors working on county sales. one thing to remember most small mills need loggers way more than loggers need small mills. the best way to keep a good couple of loggers is like peter explained, good scale and prompt pay.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!