iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First glue-up pics

Started by Seaman, March 01, 2014, 09:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

We had a little trouble getting edges good enough to glue, but we managed. In the future, we will try SCSmith idea of using a router to dress both edges at the same time.
I wanted to keep these, but the wood owner wanted them back! THE NERVE !

We will be doing a lot of this to get value added items from our smaller slabs.
Here is a few pics, and one while sanding

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

21incher

Wow they are beautiful. Is that some kind of rotary planner for flattening the slabs that is shown in the 4th picture?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Holmes

Excellent job on the glue ups they look great. Is that a Lucas planer set up?
Think like a farmer.

SwampDonkey

Very nice glue up and nice wood to. Whatcha gonna make out of that heavy stuff? You southern boys like to build thick heavy furniture. My aching back. ;D :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Did you use any biscuits or dowels?....or just glue and pressure?
Looks nice and heavy.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

QuoteIs that some kind of rotary planner for flattening the slabs that is shown in the 4th picture?

Looks like the Sanding attachment.
http://www.lucasmill.com/Default.aspx?tabid=267

I'm guessing he's got a planer blade as well, then go to the sander to take out the slight marks the planer leaves.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

drobertson

Outstanding!  very creative on the pieces, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

isawlogs

Ian, I am sure that its the sanding attachement, I am going by the fact that he mentions a pic about sanding them  ;) ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Seaman

Right you are, that is the sanding attachment. I did not take any pics while planing for some reason.

David, I only used glue and clamps, cause everyone tells me the glue joint is stronger than the wood. We will see.
I am told the biscuits are to line up the top edge, but since I am planing AFTER gluing, line up is not as critical.
This is all in the learning faze for me, we may get a good laugh later.

I hope to do a lot more of this, so I need to work out a good method. 
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Magicman

Yes, biscuits do line up the top edge, but I also feel like they are sorta like adding wire to concrete.  I use either dowels or biscuits to all joints, but that is just me.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

I only use the biscuits if line up is necessary I haven't used a dowel in ages, I do use the kreg tool more often then not. Glue today is stronger then the wood we have to work with, if you have a nice face to glue and clamps to hold for the time specified by the glue, your all good.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

A testament to how strong glue is, I have a 12" wide maple bench seat, glued up edge joint only, that rocks on a curve while weaving, and that is as solid as if it grew from the tree that way. No sign of separation or cupping. That rocking seat gets a good work out. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

giant splinter

that is some nice work, looks like the children where helping also. ;D
roll with it

WDH

Frank, those look very nice.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

That is a nice picture of the kids helping out. Nice looking wood too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!