iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

signs of a tough winter

Started by red oaks lumber, February 28, 2014, 08:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red oaks lumber

the lastest burglar to strike in the area , people stealing firewood right from piles in peoples yards when they go to work. i have heard of 4 differant homes that had firewood stolen.
with propane to high, extreme cold this winter and epic snow depths sadly i can see why this is happening. has anyone else heard of such activites in your areas?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

coxy

funny you say this today a guy stopped by my landing and asked if he could get some wood I told him take all you want good and bad he look around and said don't you have anything small with out knots  :-\ looked at him and said well for free you don't get much give me 100-150 bucks and ill pull you out a skid or two he goes if I have to pay ill go some place else    the nerve of some people i said a few not so kind words and walked away ;D

timberlinetree

I keep seeing lots of people buying 5 gals of diesel not sure what they are putting it in but I think their homes. :-\.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

goose63

No stealing going on around here and I am not selling to much at $125 a cord don't know what's going on
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Firewoodjoe

$125 for full cord? That's cheap

thecfarm

No problems around here that I know of. But that don't mean much either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

Haven't heard of anybody stealing cut up firewood. But yesterday I went out to check on a logging job I have running and noticed on the side of a backroad somebody had been cutting a few trees right along the shoulder. Looks like they dropped them right into the roadway, bucked and loaded them up. At least they were kind enough to put the brush off in the ditch.

Corley5

The woodrats are always active at this time of year stealing standing dead wood roadside.  I haven't heard of any being stolen from someone's pile.  I have to break down my self serve campfire wood by the middle of October or the thieves clean me out.  I'm sure it's someone local that watches and knows when my parents and grandma have left for the winter.  I've foiled them the last couple years  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

snowstorm

Quote from: timberlinetree on March 01, 2014, 06:42:16 AM
I keep seeing lots of people buying 5 gals of diesel not sure what they are putting it in but I think their homes. :-\.
a friend of mine works for a heating oil dealer. the company just got sold to one of the big players. he said now if someone runs out of oil on a weekend they charge $175 to come plus they have to buy a 100gal

47sawdust

Lots of low income folks in my town buy 5-10 gallons of diesel for home heating on a regular  basis.I think their just never far enough ahead to afford home delivery.
We also had some firewood theft going on.Peckerheads!
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

red oaks lumber

my son told me today that around the area , 100# propane tanks are being stolen from ice shacks at an alarming rate, hum wonder why? :D

dave_dj1

No thefts here that I know of. I stopped at a log job not far from the house to ask about firewood and the guy told me he didn't know that there were so many people in this small town, he thinks almost all of them have stopped and asked! LOL He said no, they are doing all pulp and chipping all the tops, that pile is huge as they haven't brought the chipper in yet. What a waste!
dave

Bert

I know the slab pile at my mill is disappearing. Used to be 2 rows about 150' long and 8 foot high of slabs. I'm down to about 50' left. We were stockpiling to haul to the mulch plant in early spring. We sell a few loads to firewood to friends but its going faster than any of them will take. Funny how people never show up when your around. As soon as the ground thaws, a couple posts and a gate are going in.
Saw you tomorrow!

Jhenderson

Dave.  It's not a waste. He's getting more for his pulp and chips than you or your neighbors would pay him. I've been through it too many times. Folks think they are doing me a favor, offering peanuts for my labor.

r.man

How much would you have to give for slabs to compete with a chipping/mulching operation? Are slabs a viable option for someone wanting to process firewood?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

21incher

I live down the road from a pallet factory and every couple of years buy a load of slabs from them to use when the weather is not to cold or for starting fires. They deliver a 20 yard 10 wheeler over filled with debarked and cut to 16 inch hardwood for about $300.00. It is around 18 face cords when stacked.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sprucebunny

Sign of a tough winter ? > The snow is deeper than the remains of my last pallet of firewood !

With more snow happening today, I might need to drive stakes around the corners so I can find the measly little pile again  :D

But, no worries. If I run the radiant floor for 3 hours=3 gallons it will keep the house warm enough for 2+ days.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Peter Drouin

Saw on TV a man 3 towns over had 7 cords gone. that's 4'x4'x8'x 7  :o
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red oaks lumber

wow ..thats an ambitious fellow :D

SwampDonkey

Mines all where it belongs, out of sight and stacked and dry beside my wood burning appliances. Eliminates temptation of trouble seekers. And much nicer when the appliance needs recharging. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WmFritz

Quote from: sprucebunny on March 12, 2014, 12:26:24 PM

But, no worries. If I run the radiant floor for 3 hours=3 gallons it will keep the house warm enough for 2+ days.

Just curious... is the 3 gallons oil or propane? Either way that's efficient heating!

Back in January, I've heard that folks were hauling 100# propane cylinders to the filling station, because it was cheaper than having it delivered. Problem was, they were only getting 3 days out of a tank. That's 23 gallons and about $80.00 every three days. By February, firewood hit $90-100 a face cord. The last couple weeks, we've had a wood pellet shortage in Northern Michigan. Here it is March 12 and it's going down to -11°f tonight.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sprucebunny

Bill, it's oil. I have a 6" slab downstairs. Three hours heats it to around 73 degrees from about 62 . During average outside temps ( above 10 at night) it will keep the whole house, 1000 sq. feet upstairs and the same size slab downstairs, at bearable temps for a couple days.
Usually I have a woodstove going and use a furnace fan to circulate air thru the whole house which keeps the slab from losing heat as fast. I keep stuff up off the slab on dollies.
Most of the winter, I run the furnace for a couple hours every 4 days unless it's really cold. ( or I'm out of wood...)
I say three gallons because the burner says it burns .9 gallon an hour.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Bill do they make pellets up your way? The local mill here makes pellets and seems a lot of people going that way. But a pellet stove is only good for houses that have an open concept. The old farm houses are not that easy to heat on pellet stoves. They do have pellets furnaces now and I know of one fellow with one, but don't know how much pellets it consumes or how well it heats. I had heard 6 bags (40 lbs each), which doesn't sound right to me. A regular wood furnace doesn't burn that much, not mine. That's like 3 large wheel barrels of wood. My wheel barrel is a good big one and I'd only burn one of them all day and into the night on them cold nights.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WmFritz

Yup SD, I know of two pellet manufacturers within 30 miles (48 km) of me. One has been running for a few years now. The other started up last year. 

I've got a pellet stove in the cabin. It's rated at 50,000 btu's  and burns a 40# bag in about 18 hours running wide open.

It took me 6 stores in 3 counties to find pellets today.
I can make you sweet deal on a nice, slightly used pellet stove.  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SwampDonkey

I would think the pellets would be more available than regular seasoned firewood. Try and get good seasoned firewood in the dead of winter around here.

My brother is putting in a pellet stove in his old house, but he's also got the wood furnace for the cold months. Mid Dec-Mid March.

Thank You Sponsors!