iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moose Attacks a Snowmobiler

Started by pappy19, February 28, 2014, 04:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy19

This is an interesting video from a snowmobiler with a helmet cam that ran into a cow moose on a snomobile trail. When I worked for the Forest Service in Island Park, Idaho, next to Yellowstone NP, we would run into moose on the trail all the time. Never had one attack us but we also tried to go off trail to avoid them. They love the packed snomobile trails as they don't sink, so they want to protect their territory. Anyway, you'll see what happens.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=27e_1393617162
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

DeepCreek

I will refrain from commenting on whether or not he should have shot the moose or done something else.   :-\

But I will say that mooseburger is some of the best eating there is.  Yum.   ;D

terry f

Some people shouldn't have guns or snowmobiles, no common sense.

Chuck White

Many people have been killed by moose, sometimes the the moose provokes the confrontation, sometime the human does!

I do believe that when the moose virtually climbed onto the snowmobile, then went away, he would return with a vengence!

I also think the situation would have turned around if the guy had taken his coat or something similar and waved it at the moose, the moose would have taken it as a larger critter than itself!

Moose don't have to many natural enemies!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pappy19

Moose populations in Idaho, Wyoming and Montana have declined dramatically since the introduction of the wolf. Moose are very easy prey for a wolf compared to a buffalo or elk which takes alot of wrk to run them down. Moose tend to run up creeks until they are chased out into the deep snow, then it's over.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Shotgun

Quote from: terry f on February 28, 2014, 06:01:31 PM
   Some people shouldn't have guns or snowmobiles, no common sense.

How would you have handled it, terry?
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

terry f

On a snowmobile that can do 50 plus MPH, avoided it in the first and second place, in other words, used common sense. I think if he didn't have the gun, he would have avoided it.

pappy19

Quote from: terry f on February 28, 2014, 09:13:42 PM
     On a snowmobile that can do 50 plus MPH, avoided it in the first and second place, in other words, used common sense. I think if he didn't have the gun, he would have avoided it.

Exactly.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

doctorb

All in all not too pretty. 

Don't approach wildlife that can hurt you.  Deer, Moose have difficult times in winter with deep snow, and will be reluctant to leave a location that makes their lives a little easier.  I am sure the driver felt he had to do what he did, but a little prudence early in the situation might have prevented the need to kill the moose.  He wouldn't have driven up to a grizzly (I know they're hibernating in winter, it's just a comparison).  He underestimated the moose's reaction.  I hope that the video serves to help other outdoorsmen avoid a scenario like that.  I see the self-defense aspect of the video, but I view the actions of the driver as provoking the animal, heightening the likelihood of an altercation.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WDH

Sad.  I wished that I had not watched it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The guy could have at least cleaned his kill for food.....but just to shoot, kill and drive off?  ::)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

justallan1

I think he unintentionally provoked the moose to defend itself. If for whatever reason he couldn't leave the trail, he surely could have stayed back and it would have gotten out of the way. I'd say bad thinking on his part.
I run across wild game quite often on my job and every time the animal wants to be elsewhere, although I was once attacked by a pine cone. :D

Allan

Chuck White

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 28, 2014, 11:13:16 PM
The guy could have at least cleaned his kill for food.....but just to shoot, kill and drive off?  ::)

I'm sure the incident was reported to authorities!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DeepCreek

Quote from: Chuck White on March 01, 2014, 08:21:04 AM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 28, 2014, 11:13:16 PM

I'm sure the incident was reported to authorities!

If it wasn't, they sure know about it now.

Texas Ranger

I could not see it, said private.  Guess I was lucky.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DeepCreek

Quote from: Texas Ranger on March 01, 2014, 09:10:04 AM
I could not see it, said private.  Guess I was lucky.

Apparently the snowmobiler is feeling some heat from posting video of the incident to youtube and has (belatedly) marked it private.  Oh, well.   ::)

pappy19

On another site regarding this video, the Wyoming Game & Fish is wanting any information on the perp so they can arrest him. I expect someone will tell.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Paul_H

Quote from: terry f on February 28, 2014, 09:13:42 PM

A single track with another sled right behind,trees with wells on either side.Running 50mph at a moose wouldn't help much. He was hit once with hooves the size of frying pans connected to a half ton of muscle and then tried to warn it off.
I'd have done the same thing.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

pine

Video seems to be no longer available. 
Moose can be very territorial and when meeting them you need to be very wary.  Avoidance is a good idea.
Up much further north where moose encounters are more common folks know and respect them but still every so often accidents occur.  I hope the authorities investigate the incident carefully.

Wick

Does a snowmobile have reverse? If so I would have backed away. Never ridden one. There has to be a way to go around as well, even if you had to make a different trail. He did try to scare it away, though...tough situation. I think I would have tried harder to avoid it, but after being attacked it would be on.

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/articles/3711-video-moose-attacks-man-while-snowmobiling#sthash.lQzOI3o2.dpbs

Here is another link for those interested.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Paul_H

Avoidance is key but not always possible.There is nowhere to hide on a sled.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Chuck White

Quote from: Paul_H on March 01, 2014, 11:57:15 AM
Avoidance is key but not always possible.There is nowhere to hide on a sled.

I agree!

I also feel that if he had taken his snowmobile off-trail that he would have bogged down and gotten stuck.

At that time he would have been at the mercy of the moose, so I feel he was justified in shooting!

Not nice to watch, but I think he was lucky he had the helmet cam on.  Doesn't leave any doubt as to what happened!

Wick

I've never driven a snowmobile, so wasn't sure. Is there a snow depth limit for them? I was thinking a big 4 wheeler on tracks, maybe not as much manuverability. So what do they do, make the trail when there is little snow on the ground?  :-\
What about reverse?
Timber Harvester 30HT25

terry f

Most new snowmobiles have reverse, and could easily gone off trail around the moose. If he bogged down ten feet off the trail, I doubt the moose would have went to the deep snow to get him. The moose was just trying to survive the winter, hate to see it inconvenience the rider like that. I was surprised that the moose went down as fast as it did, and I hope he went back and put it out of its misery.

Thank You Sponsors!