iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing with the Corley5

Started by Corley5, June 13, 2004, 05:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Here's a couple pics of today's sawing.  The log on the carriage is 16' bigtooth aspen.  The lumber on the trailer is mostly aspen too but there is some elm and white ash on the bottom of the pile of 1"  We started sawing at 11AM, knocked off for lunch at 12:30PM started sawing again at 2PM and sawed til 5PM.  We had to stop for a bit though because of the heavy rain that went through.  The sawdust needed to be knocked down in the spreader but it was raining too hard to go out of the building.  In the pic of the trailer you can see the water on the ground.  Gotta go back to work tomorrow to rest ;) ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Stump Jumper

Looks like some really nice boards.  Are you stickering them on the trailer? 8) 8)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Corley5

Yup  We sticker em right on the trailer then unload them at home with the forklift.  Beats stacking twice 8) 8) 8)

Corley5

:)
H Farmall belted up and ready to run the edger.

Load after edging.  It's full 8)

Trailer before adding the edged lumber

Dump trailer with edgings.

That's tha last of the 16' foot aspen logs 8) 8) 8).  There's 30 or so 10' and 15 or 20 100" sticks.  I'm gonna like sawing those 8) :).  Long logs get old after a while especially when they're big.

SwampDonkey

Nice operation Corley. You going to use the aspen for roofing? 8)
The neighbor used to use the tractor to mill his feed oats for the cattle. Lotsa kindling this winter from the edgings. :)

I should send ya down some 30 inch aspen to saw. ;D  I know its hard to swallow, that there are aspen that size. I'll just have to snap a pic of a stand of'em. Better take the yard stick along for scale, slightly bigger than the classroom rulers. ;)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

I had one 16' that was 28" on the small and several in the 24 to 26" class.  Way to heavy to roll around on the carriage with a cant hook especially when there are knots involved.

SwampDonkey

I know what ya mean, that aspen is DanG heavy when green.  Those are some mighty fine sized trees you have.  That 100 inch stock you have, was it cut for a pulpmill? Cause that is the length they take here for aspen pulp.

The trees I mentioned are limb free for a few feet cause they're not open grown.They're growing in among hardwood and have outlived the balsam fir in the stand. They are taller than the hardwood or they'de be fertilizer by now (24 meters). We cut the hardwood pulpwood out of the stand 3 years ago. The owner wanted these big aspen left because he was thinking of making parkland out of the area for PR reasons (about 1000 acres). I strongly suspect they are like culverts inside because even the big hardwood here are hollow or starting to mineralize. I remember alot of aspen this size over the years going to the mill as oversized and you could see alot of rot in the load.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

Big tooth aspen growing in hardwoods around here is usually good.  If it has "eggs" growing on it they will have a white punky rot in them.  These logs were cut a year ago as saw logs and we're just now getting to them.  I think they've soaked up moisture as heavy they are ;D.  100" is just what you cut an 8' log.

Unloading with the Oliver 552 forklift

What we've sawed so far.  The 2X10s will be headers, 2X4s purlins, and the 1X sheathing for the Corley's new home a 75'X36' pole barn.

SwampDonkey

Yup, false tinder conk (eggs) comin out of the rotten branches, good sign of punk.  The size of these aspen really surprise me, since they are trembling or quaking aspen instead. ::) These were of fire origin, I think a big fire ravaged the hillsides of the upper Tobique Valley, but not on top of the ridges where the hardwoods are mostly. When we get severe fire on ridges here the aspen is usually punky or target cankered. Didn't see any target in this stand though. The good stuff we can sell for veneer with a 10 inch top minimum.

Yup, I guess the 100 inch is just a coincidence.  ;)

That lumber will make a dandy barn for sure.

Corley5

Load of slabs from todays sawing.

Loading logs to saw tomorrow

Two hours of sawing mostly 10' logs.

Had a good afternoon of sawing.  We really enjoyed sawing ten foot logs after all the 16 footers we've been sawing and it wasn't too hot either.  These logs just plain sawed better too.  I was having trouble with the saw wanting to lead out on the long ones but had NO problems at all even on twelves.  Very enjoyable day.

SwampDonkey

Nice job Corley, looks like nice lumber.  :) Now, show us what ya picked up at the auction. ;) :D

Corley5

Red Pine log on the carriage.  Kinda ugly looking but....

After a slab and an edger board

Ready to make boards

After a slab and a couple 1X12s

Stack of boards from log not including ones that need to be edged

Two evenings worth of sawing. About 4 hours.

Sawdust production for the evening

chet

I got to get me one of dem new fangled self-unloading saw

dust kickers.  8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

SwampDonkey

Now there's another example of multi-use equipment. Them manure spreaders make good saw dusters Chet. Now, who does the shoveling into the spreader? or is it conveyored? Judging from the two camel humps on the spreader, must be conveyor. ;D

Stump Jumper

is that the new permenent mich. trailerplate you got there ???
i just got a new plate for my dads triaxel trailer 200$ :o i think it will pay off in the long run :-/
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Frickman

There's nothing prettier than circle mill running. Way to go Corley! I use the new-fangled sawdust spreader when I bed the loafing shed in the barn. Just back it in and turn it on. Alot easier than a shovel.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Corley5

We spread the sawdust across a hayfield or on a woodlot trail.  Just depends on the mood ;)  Grandpa used to back it into his barns too.  We've got 6" elevator under the mill for sawdust removal.  It's be real pain in the butt to try to keep up with a shovel.  Yes that's the new Mi permanent trailer plate.  I think they're a good deal too if the owner plans on keeping the trailer for while.  Not so if it's a short term ownership.  I'm just about done sawing for a while.  I've got 3 twenty foot red pines yet to saw and a pile of edgings to do.  Had a bad time with a 20 footer the other night.  It had a BUNCH of stress in it.  I was sawing from the small end and at the 12' mark it'd bind the saw BAD.  I got it cut to an 8" cant to cut into 2X8s and you could see the twist in it laying on the carriage.  I hope I didn't take the tension out of my saw doing it.  It got warmer than it should have :(

Corley5

Yup I did it.  I got the saw a bit too hot sawing those long red pines and it won't saw now.  I tried to saw some yellow birch today and there wasn't anyway it would.  The saw just wouldn't stay up and heated fast.  It's in the back of my truck now.  I'm going to call in late in the morning so I can take it to the saw shop in Grayling and get it hammered back into shape.  Jeff had me hoping that maybe it was going to be OK after our visit Saturday but I warmed it a bit too much.  I really need to get my other insert tooth saw hammered too so I've got a back up.

These are what did the saw in

Sawdust elevator

Ollie steered real easy with this load.  Twelve foot red pine 1X with a few 10 footers on top.

Piles of lumber for the mills new home.  We've added some more since these were taken.  Yes we are going to cover them.  We'll screw some old metal roofing to the tops of the piles.

D._Frederick

Corley,

How hot does it take to loose the blade tension, was the blade flopping real bad? Is it a real old blade that does not have the alloys in the steel that the new blades now have?

Most of the old mills around here had provisions for putting water on the blade, if the log looked like it would cause problems, the sawyer would turn the water on and start sawing.

slowzuki

About spreading sawdust on hayfields, I've read it can rob nitrogen from the soil during the intial decomposing, supposedly best to partially compost first or let some animals "enrich" it first.  Urine has nitrogen in it they say, I assume its the amonia.
Ken

Corley5

I've seen saws flop worse than this one did but it got pretty loose.  After trying to saw the birch log I felt the saw and it was pretty warm.  Not hot enough to cause a burn but pretty warm.  As for age of the saw I have no idea.  It's a 50" style 3 that's been around the mill for a long time.  I don't know that adding water would have done any good on these logs.  The saw wanted to follow the stress twist in the log.  I sharpened the saw after the first cut on the first log when I saw there was going to be a problem but it didn't make a difference.  I've heard that sawdust will tie up N during breakdown but it will release it and more when it's complete.  Spreading it on alfalfa or clovers seems to work well for me.

slowzuki

Hmm, I'll have to try it once the mill is running!

Quote I've heard that sawdust will tie up N during breakdown but it will release it and more when it's complete.  Spreading it on alfalfa or clovers seems to work well for me.

everett

Corley5
     YUP, thats my idea of a saw mill. I know they waste alot of wood but thats the way it is . NICE Farmall H. Grandad had one.
       What do you run the mill with?
       My brother runs his with a 220 Cummins.
       Nice job with the lumber.
       I live in Monroe Mi but my heart is in Kalkaska
       Good luck with your blade
             Everett

Corley5

I run the old girl with a G403 Minneapolis Moline gasoline power unit.  Just put the blade back on after having it hammered and it  saws good.  It's a bit wobbly and after talking to Jeff B at the picnic I'm going to try turning it 180 degrees and tightening it back up.  They do make a lot of sawdust ;D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!