iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a permanent log length firewood buyer

Started by logman81, February 28, 2014, 09:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Han a guy that owns a large kiln dried firewood operation call me yesterday looking for a good source of firewood logs. He was looking for a logger to fill his 2500 cord a year order. He had heard that I sell tree length firewood and that I was a producer of good firewood grade logs. Him and I both agreed on a price and I'm now his soul supplier. He has his own log truck and will pick up all my firewood logs from every job I have. I may have to up grade to a grapple skidder and hire a second guy to cut for me, still on the fence about the upgrade. But I do know of a two owner  ' 86 deere grapple skidder that's close to me that is reportedly in very good shape for little money.
Precision Firewood & Logging

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

Have you seen his operation I am curious as to his set-up.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

logman81

I know where his place is I driven by it many times. From talking with him he a multitek processor and a kiln for drying the firewood he is one of only two in the state that has one.

r.man

I was wondering how he loads the kiln and how much he does at a time.

r.man

Also forgot to ask, is a grapple skidder faster and does it have a cable on it as well?

Dave Shepard

How are you going to bunch the firewood for the grapple?  A couple of days ago I tried to get two logs close enough together to get them both in the grapple and I was so frustrated I wished I had a cable skidder.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

logman81

Rman I'm not sure how he loads it or how much at one time . Yes a grapple skidder is much faster, most have both grapple and cable. It's all about technique I know a few tricks with a grapple skidder to handle firewood logs.

Ken

2500 cords on top of your logs and other products is a huge amount of work for a one man show.  Be careful not to commit yourself to more than you can comfortably do as not following through on contracts can be damaging to a reputation.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

logman81

Ya I know it is a lot , I told him I would do my best to supply it. I'm probably going to have to a cutter and up grade to a grapple skidder but I'm not rushing into a decision on that yet.

timberlinetree

That is a lot of wood good for you. Might need a timco feller buncher to go along with the grapple and loader/slasher. Good thing with all this cold and high fuel prices demand will be there.good luck with the new venture! :)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

NWP

Will firewood logs pay for putting more people/equipment on?  I know the more stumpage you cut to get those firewood logs, the more grade logs you'll also get too. Just curious.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

logman81

I think it would, I would still just have one skidder . I would sell the cable skidder and get a grapple skidder. And either cut myself or hire one guy to cut while I run the skidder. I will be getting $80 per cord picked up on my landings.

thechknhwk

I'm not a logger or a bigtime firewood processor, but that doesn't seem to leave much meat on the bone for the buyer.  We can get 20 cord loads of firewood logs (oak, maple and ash) delivered for 1700.  Perhaps firewood prices are better in your area.

logman81

Hey doesn't matter to me as long as he's paying my price. Me said he's getting $300 cord for the certified kiln dried firewood.

thechknhwk

That's awesome then, hope it all works out well for you.

logman81

Can't see how it won't as long as I can produce and he keeps buying it should work out.

OntarioAl

Logman81
I would ramp  up my cutting power and slashing power before I upgraded to a grapple skidder. A 230 cable machine can easily pull 20 cords a day  after day if the wood Is there to skid.
Experienced fallers are scarce as hen's teeth it would be easier to train a skidder operator and do the falling yourself. When I was  logging full time I would do all the felling (I could control the quantity and quality of the wood) Then the two of us would merchandise at the landing. I eventually built a tag along slasher and feed it with a Drott 35 it allowed me to slash and sort at night and weather conditions when cutting and skidding was not possible.
Just a couple of suggestions
good luck with your growing operation.
Al
Al Raman

logman81

You have a good point, I'll have to do some thinking. It's hard to ignore a fair price on a machine that is more modern and newer and it would be nice the get away from pulling cable.

brendonv

Sounds cool.

I wouldn't buy more equipment because someone said they are going to do something. Why not test him out to see how he rolls.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Corley5

Is there a written contract involved?  I'd be concerned about adding/upgrading equipment and the buyer backing out.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

r.man

I think it would be a good idea to have everything written down and both parties sign with copies that they have read understood and will try to live up to the expectations but in general a contract is hard and expensive to enforce, especially if one of the people is the type to break a contract. If both parties are honourable however it does help to have everything in writing so memories aren't strained.

logman81

You all have good points. The idea behind the possible equipment change is not influenced by the firewood buyer. I am a strong believer in getting everything in writing.

lynde37avery

logman81, is this guys name Ed by chance? if it is. i bought my franklin log skidder from him. traded my yanmar farm tractor. if thats him. hes from pomfret CT. had jd, and 2 cat grapples too. or last i knew he did couple thousand cords of wood. could be different guy im sure. just i aint heard of many guys do that much cord wood. good luck, thats a lot of wood. i have trouble getting out 100 cords and 100 thou ft of logs lol. show pics of the grapples :)
Detroit WHAT?

logman81

Nope different guy, ya it's a lot of wood. I've been selling it to other guys as of right now as he hasn't come to get any yet. Doesn't really matter to me the wood is flying out of the landing, I'm having to turn people away because I'm not sure if I'll have enough wood. Ya I'm going to call on the skidder and see what the deal is. If it's a good machine I'm putting the timberjack up for sale. It's such a good price to ignore this machines usually sell for twice as much as he's asking.

logman81

Well it turns out this guy is not truth talker, he doesn't seem to be following through. It's ok though I have had plenty of other guys buying my firewood. I didn't realize how big of a demand for log length firewood their was in my area. So I'm defiantly going to fined me a small log trailer and deliver log length to people.

thecfarm

I have mentioned about hauling tree lenght to 2-3 truckers. They was not impressed with my great idea.  ;D  But they would of hauled it to home owners home if I asked them to. As they said,tight turns,than they complain about the damage to thier lawn and think I will pay for it.  ::) Than going acrossed a tar driveway when it's up in the 90's is not pretty sometimes.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brendonv

Whats log length a cord in your area going for, logman?

www.VorioTree.com

logman81

I'm getting $80 per cord cord for the tops and  $95 for pole wood. It's flying of my landing like you wouldn't believe!

logman81

found this for sale just what I need!

brendonv

Thanks.  Ive been selling residential tree waste for 85/ cd.  Sell my trailer full as 2 cd +.  People love it.

www.VorioTree.com

logman81

Farmer Todd

Was that your old tree farmer working on tripps corner rd in Exeter. I like cable skidders the best  but grapple at great for short pulls and odd things. Think I know the wood dealer. Name starts with b$&&&!

logman81

Yes farmer Todd the c5 tree farmer was mine. No longer have it, I have a nice 230d now that I bough from a guy in Coventry. Yes his name starts with a B. I see your in Exeter.

wills swamp

wills swamp custom sawing-2002 wood-mizer lt40/hydraulic/d33,nyle L53 kiln,case 1845sp,massey203/loader/farmi winch,john deere 450c crawler/loader,husqvana saws,logrite tools

logman81

Thank You Sponsors!