iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas Mill 1030

Started by Mountain Sawyer, February 27, 2014, 06:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountain Sawyer

My new Lucas Mill 1030 will be here on march 4th, im so excited i cant wait. Thanks to all those sawyers out there that gave me so much info to help me better to make my choice. Ill send pics when i get it.
Always enjoy the outdoors that God has made

Gasawyer

Good luck with your 1030! Have fun!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Mountain Sawyer

dgdrls

Congrats  ;)   look forward to seeing some pics.

DGDrls

thecfarm

That is not too far away either!! What's the plan for the lumber and the mill too?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

Congrats, MS!  You're gonna love it!  I'd like to upgrade to the 10 but I guess I should make some money with my 8 first...at least that's what my wife says! ;) ;D

Remember: pics or it's not true. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Mountain Sawyer

well at this point im 4 months 13 1/2 day scheduled out my first saw job is 85.000 bdft sawing 2x6 out of there chestnut oak logs, so im going to saw here at the farm for a couple days on some of my logs to test the mill then its on to work sawing for my customers i go. i have sawed useing several other band mills but have never used a swing mill but i have watched so many video's i fill like ive sawed on one for yrs lol, im just really ready to start sawing with it.

ET

Heh MS! Congrats on your new 10-30. I got my 10-30 2 years ago this coming May 1st, I know how you feel. Its hard work but love every aspect of sawing. Just a few things to set up to make sure everything goes smooth.  Place your end frames inside the decals, this will reduce your horizontal bounce. Make sure your rails are perfectly horizontal. Never cut more than 5" horizontally in one pass. Make sure you use anti-sieze on your sawblade bolts. You wont need water lubricant unless cutting resinous wood which sticks to the blade. Keep your teeth sharp, it dont take but a few seconds to do. Metal detect or you will regret it, unless all you cut is virgin wood.

There are a few tricks but you will learn them as you go. Never never force the sawhead. Light to medium pressure is all thats needed, otherwise something is pinched. Be careful vertically cutting small to medium logs because they get terribly unstable past the halfway point.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck; Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Nomad

Congrats on your new mill!  If you haven't already seen this post, Sigidi gives some good advice about how he holds logs in portable and more stationary settings.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,60546.msg886829.html#msg886829
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Mountain Sawyer

Hi ET what some great info there i sure would like to have you phone # having the ability to chat with someone that has this same sawmill is just awesome and im sure im going to face a few things im not sure about and having someone to speak with is conforting. Thanks for the advice and for your post.

ET

Hey PM, I just sent you a PM. Getting ready to do a little ice fishing for some gills today. -12F is a little cold for sawing. Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

ET

Sorry, meant to say "Hey MS".  Little rushed today, and Im old enough to make mistakes, but still doin it!

Mountain Sawyer

hey good luck fishing and -12 is to cold for work but we all will work thru it for fun stuff lol

sigidi

Hey Mountain sawyer, I know how excited you are mate, those fews days will seem to take forever ;D

If I can help out anytime, not saying I'll have all the answers but feel free to hit me up. Also check out the "Lucas Mill Q's" thread lots of tips and hints have been put in there over time  ;)

Have a heap of fun mate  8)
Always willing to help - Allan

JohnM

Quote from: sigidi on February 28, 2014, 04:44:13 PM
If I can help out anytime, not saying I'll have all the answers but feel free to hit me up.
Sig's being modest, if he doesn't have the answers it's only because we haven't thought of the questions. ;) ;D :D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

I am happy for you and will be looking forward to seeing pictures of your successful and satisfying sawing.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mountain Sawyer

Thanks John and your right sigidi knows his stuff and also thanks magicman and ill post some pics very soon i hope, and to all you guys thanks again this isnt near as scarey knowing i have you guys here to get me through any issues that might or will surely arise.

ET

It's my turn to chime in and back up Sigidi's skill on the Lucas. He has really got me out of a few tight spots.  Plus MM has done it all!  Im a real novice compared to those 2 veteran sawyers.

sigidi

Geese!! Ease up you blokes!!!! gotta still be able to get through the door at the end of the day  ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

raptorman01

Hey, Mnt Sawyer, little birdie told me that your mill had come in and you had a rather large job lined up, time for some pics!!!!!!! saw mill and logs shots!!!!!! good luck....
1900's Frick 01, Norwood LM2000, F250 P.S.,F350 P.S., CAT D3B, New Holland T5050 FEL, TN75 FEL, 5030 FEL, Stihl 034,310,210. etc. all thanks to the Lord and lots of hard work...

Mountain Sawyer

Hey raptorman01 you must be close to me, what little birdy was that. And yes its in and we are sawing ill be sending some pics mabe later today. Every muscle in my body hurts  we have put in 12 hrs a day the last two days and im draging just a bit but im sure enjoying myself. how do you like your band mill and are you staying busy. hope all is well.

Mountain Sawyer

i cant seem to get photos loaded it doesnt want to let me do it. Is there some special way i have to load pics

Nomad

Look at this.  It'll get you started in the right direction.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Seaman

Happy for ya! What part of Va? I might have to come see this.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Mountain Sawyer

Thanks Seaman my son is a marine as well, oorah. im in nicklesville va next to kingsport tn and your welcome here anytime.You can stay a day or two and we will have some good cookout on the grill steaks when you come

Thank You Sponsors!