iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A really great philosophy of life

Started by Ernie, February 27, 2014, 05:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles roll
ed into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.. The students responded with a unanimous 'yes.'

The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand.The students laughed..

'Now,' said the professor as the laughter subsided, 'I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things—-your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions—-and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.. The sand is everything else—-the small stuff.

'If you put the sand into the jar first,' he continued, 'there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

Spend time with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and mow the lawn.

Take care of the golf balls first—-the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented. The professor smiled and said, 'I'm glad you asked.' The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

JohnM

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

m wood

I've heard versions of this philosophy story...Yours is the best version ever, thanks Ernie.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

wwsjr

Thanks for posting, my first time to see this. Great.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Magicman

Stop and take some time to smell the roses....or daffodils.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

Thanks Earnie I may not have any money but I think I am the richest  man in the world good wife warm house freezer full of meat and I wake up every day
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Cedarman

Quote from: goose63 on February 28, 2014, 06:56:40 PM
Thanks Earnie I may not have any money but I think I am the richest  man in the world good wife warm house freezer full of meat and I wake up every day
Looks like a fine collection of golf balls to me. :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

JJ

There is whole motivational class based on Stephen R. Covey's book 7 Habits of Highly Effective People based on this simple concept.
I have taken this one week class, and though the concept is very simple, it takes a paradigm shift to effectively apply. 

JJ

AK Newbie

Life is short...and even though its been said many times, the most important thing you can give to the people in your life is your time... Great philosophy! Thanks for sharing!
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Thank You Sponsors!