iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody got new ideas for deer burger?

Started by Planman1954, February 26, 2014, 08:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman1954

I thought I'd ask if anyone has any GOOD recipes for deer burger. I've got a ton of it left, and feeling a little burnt out on my same old uses for it. Chime in if you have some GOOD uses for it! Thanks.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

pabst79

Two of favorites of my family,1.)  mixing red beans and rice with fried burger and putting it in soft tortillas, sometimes we mix in shrimp too, add sour cream and its pretty tasty. 2.) 1 pound burger,1 can diced tomato,1 bag shredded cheese, 1 jar of con queso dip. Makes a great chip dip or sometimes I will just eat a bowl of it for lunch!  :)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Ken

I take my deer burger to a friend who mixes it with some beef/pork fat, spices, etc and makes sausages for me.  Deer burger on its own is not appealing to me any more.  Moose burger on the other hand is my "go to" burger.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

yukon cornelius

we have several we like. I mix it half and half with breakfast sausage. I also make Italian sausage with it. our favorite is bacon cheeseburger quesadillas.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

We take Deer Burgers and mix in Green Peppers and Onions. A few dashes of Wostershire, some steak seasoning, make a BIG patty and put them in a smoker with Apple Wood. Makes a great Hamburger Steak.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SLawyer Dave

I've always just used it anywhere and everywhere I would use hamburger.  If you want to make patties with venison burger, then you will need to add some fat to it for the meat to stick together.  I'm making spaghetti tonight, and I used half and half store bought hamburger and sausage from the last wild boar I killed.  If I had some venison burger around, I would have used that instead of the hamburger, (my wife doesn't like just using sausage as it makes it too spicy for her taste). 

My advice, start looking online or through some cookbooks for recipes calling for hamburger.  If something catches your fancy, then make it with the venison burger instead.  Should be great.  =)

LeeB

Send it to me. Is that new?  :D I usually make sausage from mine or tamales.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Corley5

Friend and neighbor that processes deer for us makes really good venison summer sausage that I'm not tired ofeating and am just about out of.  Time to take him another 15lbs of V. burger  8)  He also makes pepperoni and we're going to split a batch of that.  His spice mixes come in amounts for fifteen lbs of meat.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Planman1954

Thanks for all the input! I've mixed the venison with store bought sausage before...that is a good way to go. As to making sausage, does anyone have a simple recipe that tells me what to add to say, one pound of burger to achieve breakfast sausage? Or maybe is there a store bought spice mix I should get...
Keep the recipes and ideas coming!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

Hamburger (Deerburger) soup. You brown a pound of venison burger in a pot. When browned pour in a 64 ounce bottle of V8 vegetable juice and a pound bag of frozen mixed vegetables. Let simmer for a couple of minutes and serve. It is basically a 5 minute soup that we cook when camping and kids love it. If you are going to make sausage I like to add some fatty pork when grinding to keep it from drying out and basically sage, black pepper, and some salt.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Rockn H

Here's a breakfast sausage that we like.  We save our "bacon drippings" for flavoring some dishes and use a little to fry the deer sausage in also.  If you like it really hot, just add an extra table spoon of red pepper and leave it in the deep freeze for a few months. :o

5 lbs of ground deer meat
2 table spoons of red pepper
3 table spoons of salt
1 table spoon of sage
3 table spoons of black pepper
1 tabel spoon of powdered garlic

Leigh Family Farm

my wife recently used bear meat to make a real tasty lasagna. You just have add an extra can of tomato sauce because game meat tends to be drier than beef. You could use the deer meat instead of bear.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

coxy

I use leggs sausage mix but always use more pork  60p 40v comes out good  I hate meatloaf but will eat a ton if its deer meat  ;D

Dodgy Loner

I use ground deer for anything but burgers. I like real beef for my burgers.

We mostly use it for chili, lasagna, and Mexican (tacos, burritos, quesadillas). The only one on the list that we use a recipe for is lasagna, and my wife is the keeper of that recipe. I have also used it for shepherd's pie that was really good, but we don't make that often because my wife doesn't like it.

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Planman1954

Thanks for all the replies! Please keep the RECIPES coming.  Also, where do I find the additive spice product to add to deer burger to make sausage? Thanks.

LeeB

http://www.lemproducts.com/category/216

LEM has good products and are great people to work with. I prefer to use my own seasoning mix. The commecial mixex have a commercial taste to me. A good book for Sausage making is Home Sausage Making, which you can also get from them along with several other titles. Check them out. Really good people and great service, much akin to what we know and love from many of the sponsers on here.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

petefrom bearswamp

I make pepperoni and finished a batch yesterday

1-1/2 lb burger
1-1/2 TBSP Mortons tender quick salt (this can be hard to find but Mortons site has a retailer locator)
1-1/2 TBSP Fennell
1 TBSP Red pepper flakes, or more if you like hotter
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Chili powder
Mix ingredients well roll into 2 inch sticks, leave uncovered in frige for 24 hrs.
bake on broiler pan @ 300 degrees for 1/2 to 1 hr.

Rolling by hand makes sticks that resemble dog doo, so I use my wife's Kitchen Aid with a stuffer attachment and collagen casings.
I have also tweaked this recipe over the years and you can too.
Also I always make at least a double batch and freeze what we dont eat right away.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

pine

Have always like venison in Lasagna.  Gives it a great flavor.  Spaghetti sauce is another great thing to make with venison.

Planman1954

pappy19

Here's a favorite at our house for deer and elk burger.

Pappy's Idaho Trail Beans

2 Lbs. Good quality ground meat (venison, elk, beef, etc)
¼ cup Crisco if meat is very lean
1 large onion chopped fine
2 cloves garlic smushed and chopped (more if you like)
1 Tblsp. Rosemary (crush with fingers)
1 Tblsp. Thyme
1 Tblesp. Sage
1 Teasp. Ground cumin
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tblesp. Red pepper flakes (optional)
1 Teasp. Black pepper
1 – 2 bay leaves
Salt to taste
2 medium ham hocks, A big ham bone with meat left on it,  or ½ lb. of bacon cut in small pieces
4--5 cups cleaned pinto beans
Water to cover (use good water)

In a large Dutch oven, like a number 9 or 10 Griswold Dutch Oven (with or without legs as I use a number 10 w/o legs and put it in my kitchen oven to cook), cook ground meat with onions and garlic.

When meat is mostly cooked, add other dry ingredients and mix well. Then add pinto beans, ham hocks and water to cover. If using bacon, do not cook the bacon, add raw pieces now. Add the bay leaves last.

Cover with lid and cook in the oven at 300 for 3-4 hours. Check beans every 30-40 minutes and add water as needed.  Don't let the beans get dry.

Generally, when the ham hocks are falling apart, the beans will be done too. When everything is done, pull out the ham bones, skin and fat as desired and mix the ham meat in with the beans and ground meat.

A bowl of this topped with fresh chopped spring onions along with some good skillet made corn bread or biscuits is about as good as it gets. Enjoy!!
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

m wood

Planman1954.  Breakfast sausage.  First I mix my ven with cheap ground pork about 70v/30p.  Second grind I add in:  (real easy and can be found anywhere...but dont ask me how much of anything cuz I'm a dash of this and a fistfull of that kind of a guy).

simple.

Mccormicks Carribean Jerk Seasoning
Italian seasoning
Sea salt

Blew us away it tasted just like breakfast sausage.  Accidents have their way I guess
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Planman1954

Sounds good m wood...simple...I'm gonna do it!
Pappy: Gonna save yours to my favorites!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!