iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is 4/4 bdft the same amount in SQ ft?

Started by strunk57, February 26, 2014, 06:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strunk57

I know it sounds crazy, I have tried looking it up but cant get an exact answer.

I do the math and it seems to me that it is the same, say an 1x8x8 has 5.33 bdft, is it the same in sq ft?

I have a customer that wants paneling for his bathroom, he wants it all in 1x8. I am racking my brain trying to figure this out along with everything else going on, I know someone here will know.
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Dave Shepard

Yes, it is essentially the same thing. In reality, 4/4 is from 1.000" to 1.249" thick, so a 4/4 board could be almost 25% more in volume than a true 1" board.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 26, 2014, 06:23:57 PM
Yes, it is essentially the same thing. In reality, 4/4 is from 1.000" to 1.249" thick, so a 4/4 board could be almost 25% more in volume than a true 1" board.

What?  say_what
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

redbeard

Length feet x width inches ÷ 12 = square feet.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Dave Shepard

Well, what would you call a 1 1/8" board? Four and a half quarter? :D

Basically, in order to qualify as 5/4, a board must actually be five quarters of an inch, or 1.250". If it isn't 1.250", then it gets bumped down to the next quarter size. So, a 1.249" thick board is only 4/4.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

strunk, all I can add is this, ask and be sure of the end product, then saw it from there. It sounds like he wants and needs 1" boards.  I saw 1-1/16" in these situations.  this does seem heavier than needed, but meets the needs. Many folks are use to uneven board thickness, and go from there in regards to green, rough sawn lumber.   Things change when things are right.  If you can saw to a given thickness, express this and go from there.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

strunk57

Thanks redbeard I've looked at 2 or 3 different methods and something that simple just clicked.

And I didn't know that about 4/4 but as always I'm gaining knowledge Everytime I log in
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Dave Shepard

ETA: this is in response to Peter's last post.

Right, but when using the quarter scale, everything has to get grouped into a quarter, 1.125"  or 1 1/8" is still just 4/4. If you are simply going by measure, then you call it whatever it is. Using the quarter scale may be more relevant if you are using some sort of grading and tally system. For instance when we had some lumber sorted that we were wholesaling to a kiln, the grader didn't measure the exact width or thickness of the board, it was a sort of averaging situation. The scale stick had different markings and it was tallied as whatever set of marks it landed on or between.

Peter Drouin

I'm just saying when a customer wants 10,000 bf cut at 1 1/8 I can't count it as 1" wood. And the only time BF and sq foot are the same is if it's all 1" wood. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

I'm not saying you should count it at 1". That's why you wouldn't use the 4/4 system to get an accurate tally. If you have any other topics you would like me to complicate, I'll be here for another hour and fourteen minutes. Or is that really just an hour? :D

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

cutterboy

Strunk, I hope you are not getting confused by all this talk of board thickness. To answer your question.... Yes, a board foot is a square foot one inch thick. So, a board 8' by 8" by one inch thick is 5.33 bf which is 5.33 square feet.   Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: cutterboy on February 26, 2014, 07:40:43 PM
Strunk, I hope you are not getting confused by all this talk of board thickness. To answer your question.... Yes, a board foot is a square foot one inch thick. So, a board 8' by 8" by one inch thick is 5.33 bf which is 5.33 square feet.   Cutter

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

mesquite buckeye

And just to make it more fun a softwood planed 1" board is 3/4" thick and a planed hardwood board is 13/16" thick. Isn't this fun????? ???

;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on February 26, 2014, 08:01:42 PM
And just to make it more fun a softwood planed 1" board is 3/4" thick and a planed hardwood board is 13/16" thick. Isn't this fun????? ???

;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

VictorH

3/4 for softwoods and 13/16 for hardwood -  I did not know this!!  Thanks -  btw WHY?  ;D

red oaks lumber

rough lumber b.f. is the same as sq.ft. when you take that 1x8 and make paneling now your sq.ft. will be less than the b.f.
example 1x8 r.sawn is 5.33 b.f.  make 7" coverage paneling you have a 3/8 lenght tounge but, dosent add to the overall width so the sq.ft. is 4.66
a 1000 b.f. of 1x8's made in  paneling will cover 871 sq.ft.
so if you are just suppling him the r.sawn material if he gives you the sq.ft. he wants to cover you can figure out how many 1x8's he needs :)
1 1/8 thick material still gets scaled at 4/4
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

5quarter

Somewhere, Tom has a brilliant post explaining how, when and why the quarter and inch measurements are used...just can't seem to put my finger on it at the moment. as an aside, I use the quarter scale as a sawing scale only.

Red oaks...good catch. I forgot all about paneling and flooring.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

LeeB

As mentioned before, ask the customer what he actually needs and saw from there.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

strunk57

Thanks everybody for the responses, I am gonna figure what he needs to cover his walls, then come back to this thread for more info on scaling 4/4.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

There are traditions within our industry that help us at times and confuse at other times.  For example, softwoods are sold on the basis of their nominal footage (a 2x8 is actually 1.5" x 7.25", but the bf is based on 2x8 and not the actual size), plus if under 1.000" when planed, it is still counted as a full 1". This has been adopted by the Bureau of Weights and Measures in all 50 states and in Canada too.  With softwoods, the bf is reported to two decimal points.  Many times softwoods are sold by the piece count.

For hardwoods, it is more complicated, as the thickness is the last full quarter inch, as mentioned in previous postings.  The length is the actual length to the last full foot...no fractions.  The width is the actual width including fractions.  But, unlike softwoods, hardwoods are given only to the full bf...no fractions.  This measurement system is tied very, very closely to the grading process for lumber, so that is why it is widely used and has not changed. 

What this all means is that for green or air dried hardwood lumber, not planed, a piece that is 6 BF can be as small as 1.00" thick, 5-1/2" wide and 12.0 feet long (5.5 square feet).  The largest 6 BF piece would be 1.24" thick, 6-1/2" wide and 12.9 feet long (6.99 square feet).  (This does not mean that if someone wants you to saw 1-1/16 lumber you will charge the same sawing fee ($/bf) as with 1-1/8", or that for logs with 10" of over length would not factor in to the sawing price, as they are 9% longer, causing more wear and tear and shorter blade life, Etc.

As "unfair" as this system may seem (over 100 years old), it is used today because
1.  It is an integral part of hardwood lumber grading rules
2.  this was adopted by the National weights and Measures many years ago. 
3.  Tally sticks use it.  Note that With hardwoods, many people use a tally stick, marked in BF for measuring BF.   This uses the above procedures also.

If buyer and seller agree, you can certainly modify the rules.

Note that if you had nine pieces that were 6"x12', the thickness multiplier is applied to the sum of these nine and not to each piece...so, nine 5/4x6x12 are (5/4) x 9 (6 x 12 / 12) = (5/4) x 54 = 67 or 68 BF.  Sometimes, the width (inches) times length(feet) / 12 is called the surface measure (SM).  The SM is a critical number when grading.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 26, 2014, 07:22:01 PM
I'm just saying when a customer wants 10,000 bf cut at 1 1/8 I can't count it as 1" wood. And the only time BF and sq foot are the same is if it's all 1" wood. :)

If someone ordered 10,000 of wood and wanted it 1 1/8" thick I'd charge him for 1 1/8" thick lumber. I would not be giving him 1/8" of an inch every board. That lumber adds up to a lot of money given away.

Do you sell by the log volume? or do you sell by the lumber scale? They can be two totally different amounts due to over run.

I sell by lumber volume.
If my skill or my saw can produce lumber accurately to gain lumber over the log volume estimated scale then I should get paid for that. Not give it away.

When I saw a customer's logs(softwood) I cut to the sizes he wants. 4/4 scale gives me 1 1/16" boards. I let that go as 1" boards.
When I saw a customer's logs(hardwood) I cut to the sizes he wants my hardwood scale gives me 1 1/8" boards as I have been told that this is the industry standard. I charge for 1 1/8" boards. after 9 boards tallied at 1" but cut at 1 1/8" you have given him a whole board. eight 1/8" gains = 1" board the 9th 1/8 cuts it free from the log.

I do this and it works for me. Your system may work for you, but you could be giving wood away.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on February 27, 2014, 12:55:33 PM
There are traditions within our industry that help us at times and confuse at other times.  For example, softwoods are sold on the basis of their nominal footage (a 2x8 is actually 1.5" x 7.5"........
Actually a 2X8 is 1.5" X 7.25".

Nominal Vs. Actual:  2 x 4, 1.5" x 3.5". 2 x 6, 1.5" x 5.5". 2 x 8, 1.5" x 7.25". 2 x 10, 1.5" x 9.25". 2 x 12, 1.5" x 11.25".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

jim ,
  why would i sell on log volume?i saw about 30% over scale so ,the little thicker board really isnt a big deal. my self i would be embarrassed to charge some one on 1/8 " :( but, to each his own.
gene,
99% of the people on this forum  don't apply to "the rules" all you did was add alot of confusion to an already confusing topic for alot of people. imho. :)

red oaks lumber

another reason to saw alittle thicker, when it comes to planing for a product if the board is thin in spots because you were trying to save wood that board now became junk. there isnt a mill that saws perfect every board, none.

drobertson

It seems this post has drifted a bit. 1" is 1'" usually +1/8 inch in one inch lumber, green.  for custom cuts, it really depends on what is required.  At times folks need advice, and can be adjusted as needed for the job.
When selling whole sale flooring grade things change, as to required thicknesses, and the grade is as it is.
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Quote from: red oaks lumber on February 27, 2014, 06:15:33 PM
jim ,
  why would i sell on log volume?i saw about 30% over scale so ,the little thicker board really isnt a big deal. my self i would be embarrassed to charge some one on 1/8 " :( but, to each his own.
gene,
99% of the people on this forum  don't apply to "the rules" all you did was add alot of confusion to an already confusing topic for alot of people. imho. :)

Quote from: red oaks lumber on February 27, 2014, 06:26:52 PM
another reason to saw alittle thicker, when it comes to planing for a product if the board is thin in spots because you were trying to save wood that board now became junk. there isnt a mill that saws perfect every board, none.

When I saw lumber I try not to leave wane on it. If I do then most customers won't buy it. Or if it is thick and thin they don't want it. I don't plane wood. Red oak you sell finished flooring ? [And is a good set up] Is it less than an 1"? Do you charge for an 1"? Or charge for less than an 1" if your flooring is say 3/4"? Do you charge for 3/4 ?
I don't know what you do . Maybe you can help me  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

red oaks lumber

yes i sell finished products ie. flooring. when i determine a price, it starts with my wood cost based in 4/4 scale  b.f. i sell all wall and floor coverings by the sq.ft. so its very important to understand the conversion factor from b.f. to sq.ft.
if buying logs and i pay .60 b.f. for that log, no matter what i choose to saw from it, the cost is .60 b.f. so a 1x8 8' r.sawn is 5.33 b.f. the wood cost is $3.198. now we take that same board and make 7" cover floor  the sq.ft. is 4.66 the wood cost is .686 cents  per sq.ft. just by changing numbers your wood cost has gone up.if you don't understand how to price between b.f. to sq.ft at some point it will cost you alot of money.
over the years i have found it better for my operation to saw oversize, with that i can afford to saw faster  and push harder because there is a size buffer. so at the end of the day its cheaper for us to put a little more size on a board and make it up with productiuon than maybe squezzing 1 more maginal board but, taking alot more time sawing.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

5quarter

Never thought I'd say it, but I guess I'm a one percenter... :D :D. Excellent post Gene.

Red Oaks...I saw heavy too for about the same reasons. even minor drying defects can put a board in the cull stack if its sawn too thin.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Ron Wenrich

I have always sawn lumber and blocking over thickness by 1/8".  The reason being that a rejected tie or load of blocking results in a huge loss that is hard to be made up.  I've had pallet stock buyers check 3½x6 and are known to reject if they are even a hair under.  I also add a little to the pallet stock, as quite often they end up with an extra board.  I get a better price, and never have a problem selling, even during down markets.  Sort of like buying insurance.

Tie buyers often want 1/4" overage.  That's due to some mills not being too good in their sizing.  Ties are run through a sizing machine to maintain consistency in a finished product.  I only cut 1/8" over and never had any problems due to my consistency.  I guess I get a savings there.

All hardwood lumber is sawn on the 1/8".  Most buyers demand it.  I hate seeing a board rejected due to thickness.  Since I am sawing my blocking a little heavy, my 6" boards give a little cushion on the scale side.  No downgrading due to being under 6".  That can really add up in a year's time.  Understanding lumber grading is something anyone working with hardwoods should know. 

You give the buyer what he wants, or better.  I always have had markets for my material, no matter market conditions.  When markets dip, I usually pick up buyers and keep them when markets get better.  Guess I'm old school.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

strunk57

I love how this thread has turned out, again I have learned a lot more than I knew before. I never had a clue about the standard measuring system. Now I do.

36 coupe

Quote from: red oaks lumber on February 27, 2014, 06:26:52 PM
Ive planed a lot of lumber since 1980.Rough lumber under an inch never comes clean.2 of my friends cant read fractions on a rule.The four quarters system must come from the time when many people could not read or write.It would be easy to understand  4 quarters in measuring lumber.There are boards in my old barn with footage marked in roman numerals.If you are running a band mill dont saw to 7/8 unless you are sawing rough siding.Wide boards that are cupped should be ripped in half if you want both sides to come clean.No need for confusion on lumber measurement.If you insist on getting paid extra for 1 and 1/8 boards just raise the board foot price.

Cedarman

There must be a meeting of minds between buyer and seller.  If you are selling commercially, then I suggest taking a week long lumber grading short course.  If you are going to be in the hardwood sawing business, it will be some of the best time and money spent.  I did it 30 years ago and I can tell you I got an education!!
There are commercial standards that set the target.  But every buyer may have special needs that if you work with them you get rewarded with better price or more orders.  Have the conversation with your buyer.  Get to know them and how their business runs.
When I first started the cedar business we only sawed 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 posts for a company.  They didn't want to buy lumber.  I took a trip to their operations and saw that they used lots of lumber.  They said they bought lumber before and it didn't meet their specs.  I asked to give it a try.  They accepted.  After the first truck load, their response was, you saw it, we'll buy it.  Get busy.  We were the only mill to take the trouble to meet their needs.

Custom sawing is a whole different ball game. One example should suffice.  We get calls for 2x4's.  What the customer actually may want can vary from 2 1/8" x 4 1/8" down to 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" and everything in between depending on what they are doing with the wood.  We also have to ask if the boards need to be planed.  Sometimes  not all 4 sides need to be planed.  Just depends on what the customer asks for.
Once you know what the customer asks for then you can figure what you need to saw to make it happen.  That is when you calculate price based on the cost of sawing the logs and the volume of wood it takes to supply the order.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

Quote from: Cedarman on February 28, 2014, 07:48:54 AMThey said they bought lumber before and it didn't meet their specs.  I asked to give it a try. 
That mentality also has to be overcome when custom sawing.  So many "peckerwood sawyers" were turning out "peckerwood lumber".  Dull blades and misaligned sawmills turning out inconsistent lumber will cast a shadow of doubt that has to be overcome with potential customers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: 36 coupe on February 28, 2014, 07:39:37 AM
There are boards in my old barn with footage marked in roman numerals..

That has to do with where the boards and timbers are placed, not with the footage.  My uncle's barn dated back to the 1830s, and that's how his was put together. 

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Way back in time, the sawmill had a dial with numbers on it that was linked to the carriage.  It was called a back stand calculator.  It indicated the position of the carriage knees in 1/4" increments (in more modern time, 1/8") from the saw blade.  But, here is the key: The carriage was moved in and out mechanically...each ratchet of the set works was 1/4"...so the mechanical movement or back stand indicator was 1/4" increments.  Why this started, I do not know, but once it started, we find that lumber was naturally sold based on 1/4" thicknesses.  The movement of the carriage without ratchets is around 65-75 years ago, but older carriages continued the 1/4" movement.

Regarding possible confusion in the earlier posting, hopefully the softwood discussion is clear, as it is straight forward.  Plus, many people sell and price by the piece anyway, so footage is not an issue for lumber.  A good example is in the posting about cedar posts.

I would think that many people, more than 1%, would use a tally stick for measuring hardwood lumber! as it is so easy and fast too.  The tally stick uses the math procedure outlined in the posting, but it has the answers all worked out, so the math does not need to be done by the person doing the measurement.

One comment about thickness...typically, 8/4 lumber sells for 2.25 times more than 4/4...that is, twice the volume is worth more than twice the price (grade is the same).  But, as so well pointed out already, the customer's needs are a key in all cases.  Anything you can do to make your lumber more valuable to the customer...measurement, thickness, a sense of wane, etc..., the better it will be for you and your customer.  It is because of this customized market that we can sometimes ignore past traditions and all benefit.

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

red oaks lumber

if you don't grade your lumber how can you grade saw and use a tally stick? or sell using the nhla rules?i live in a 4 sided planing world so any wood that is not cut the same size i have very little patience for :(

Magicman

One other issue is market.  Agreed, 8/4 lumber may sell for more than twice what 4/4 sells for but with the available market, you may be able to actually sell four times the amount of 4/4.  The catch in this situation is having the inventory or output to satisfy both markets.  Sometimes you can not have cake plus ice cream.  You gotta be willing to settle for just cake.

Cedarman

Find a hardwood grading manual.  It can make your head spin.  Once your head quits spinning check out the grading for walnut.  It will spin again.
But, there is rhyme and reason for the rules.  The most important for me was to learn FAS, 1Face, and #1common.
Does this complicate it more?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Magicman...Right on target.  Oftentimes, when thinking about producing 8/4, it is best to be certain that the grade will be high...such certainty is hard to have when just looking at a log while sawing.  The truth is that lower grade 8/4 has a poor market--slow sales and low prices.  Even experience isn't perfect, so there is a risk with manufacturing thicker lumber.  (Stated another way, I would rather have a No.1 common 4/4 and a No.2 Common 4/4 instead of one no. 2 Common 8/4.). Yep...it is all about markets and sales.

The next issue of Sawmill & Woodlot has a good article on marketing for the small mill.

drobertson

I just love when a thread goes off, and when it does it brings many factors and great points in regards to lumber, sawing and grading.  the, main question still is does 4/4 lumber amount to sq/ft.    yes, 

red oaks lumber

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Everybody made some good points!

While I am at least somewhat familiar with the NHLA rules (basic), I do not use them. For one thing, I sell a lot of live edge lumber and special pieces. For more conventional lumber, I do not grade, but sell it all the same price, with the exception that excessively defective lumber (that which will not work for most reasonable uses) is discounted. I also allow for discounting prices for a quick sale.

I have been cutting all my 4/4 wood at 1". My Woodmizer's scale seems to only allow one inch for 4/4, and 1/8 for the kerf. I wish they had set it up to leave 1/8 inch extra. To easy to make an error.

I sell my red cedar on the same rules as my hardwood, but pine I sell more like industrial lumber. I always check with the customer what they mean if they say 2X4, 2X6, etc. Most times they will opt for 1.5X3.5, 1.5X5.5, etc. when I explain they will save money per stick.

I also don't worry if I do end up giving them a little extra wood. I simply charge enough per bf to make up for it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ron Wenrich

Depends on who you sell to.  If you're talking about the hobby guy that uses a small amount of lumber, then your system works.  Most times, the hobby guy doesn't know anything about lumber grades.  If your talking about a guy that does restoration work, for example, your system might work because he knows what specifically he needs.

But, if you are selling to a cabinet shop or a wholesaler, they do understand grade and they buy by grade.  Your system doesn't work, and limits your markets.  If you don't need them as a market source, then you're okay.  Sometimes cash flow trumps price. 

In addition to 8/4, I've sawn 10/4, 12/4, and 16/4 grade.  The heavier stuff is usually tulip poplar.  It isn't very often that I would get a piece that was below grade.  Sawing hardwood grade is all about risk.  If you saw too heavily into a face, you risk a lower quality board since grade is determined by the poorest face (except for F1F).   Log species, position of log in the tree, and local growing conditions will often determine how heavily you can cut into the log.  It's riskier to try to cut 8/4 from black oak than it is to cut from red oak, for example.  Its riskier to cut 8/4 in a second cut log.   

36 coupe

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 26, 2014, 06:27:08 PM

What?  say_what
Still trying to figure that one

strunk57

Cedarman mentionEd a week long lumber grading coarse, I am very interested in doing something like that. Does anyone know when, where and what the cost of something like this is?

36 coupe

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on February 28, 2014, 09:04:33 AM
Quote from: 36 coupe on February 28, 2014, 07:39:37 AM
There are boards in my old barn with footage marked in roman numerals..

That has to do with where the boards and timbers are placed, not with the footage.  My uncle's barn dated back to the 1830s, and that's how his was put together.
Disagree, there are boards on the side of the barn that measure exactly as marked.My barn dates to 1806.Roman numerals are easy to scribe.The boards are from an up and down sawmill.I find no marks on timbers.all were axe cut on site.

Peter Drouin

Ron, most times, there's no money in the whole sale market unless you have a high production set up. I do one with the crane matts and it works for me because it's big wood. What I do is ask the customer what he wants, then price it that way.
I sell the pine 1", Hardwood, 1 1/8". I don't get much demand for 5/4, sometimes 2" and I cut it 2 1/8"
I cut all my framing lumber full size. When customers comes to a [saw mill] they expect full size stuff. Around here no one asks for dressed lumber.
I can't tell you how many times a customer says now that's a 2x4 or 2x10 or whatever all full size and 99% of the time it's like that.
With all of this getting the logs is the hard part. With the way things are we lost a lot of loggers and I have to compete with the mills here that cut from 100,000 to 200,000 bf a day  ::) theres your wholesale market.
But I'm happy the sun is out and 28° and I have a yard full of hemlock  and the pine is coming  8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

LeeB

Quote from: 36 coupe on March 01, 2014, 06:34:51 AM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 26, 2014, 06:27:08 PM

What?  say_what
Still trying to figure that one

1"+25%=1.25", therefore a board that is 1.249" thick is very nearly 25% thicker than a 1" board. 25% thicker means 25% more volume.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Does sq ft = BF for 4/4?  The simple answer is

For softwoods, the two are almost never equal as the BF uses nominal sizes while sq ft uses actual sizes.  But sometimes, but not often, the two sizes are the same size, as Peter just mentioned.

For hardwoods, the two are equal...if the square footage is not in fractions but rounded to the whole number, and if the square footage does not use the over length but uses the last full foot...except if the square footage deducts for air space that we would have with a beaver tail end or similar wane issue).

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

So, what is the thickness of a piece of lumber that has wane?  Do I measure the thickness away from the wane?  Obviously, yes.  How about a thin end (beaver tail for example)?  Obviously, ignore the tail.  So what if some of the piece is over 1-1/4" thick and thinner spots are 1-1/8"?  Or what if the area near a knot is under 1.00" thick? 

For softwoods, there can be small areas of thinness...the rules state how much.  For construction grades, the main idea is to have a reasonably large nailing surface on the edges.  Of course, the customer "rules."

For hardwoods, the rule states that in most cases the thickness of the piece is based on the thickness of the region used to establish the grade.  Thinness outside the grading region is acceptable.  Of course, the customer may not like this and so it is not a good thing then.  Further, if the difference between the thinnest spot and the thickest spot within the grading region is too much, then the piece is given the additional title of "miscut."

Of course, a large mill cannot customize every piece.  So, standards or rules were developed so that both buyer and seller are "on the same page."  In fact, this customization is one key item that makes small mills better than the big mills.

Cedarman

Quote from: strunk57 on March 01, 2014, 06:52:19 AM
Cedarman mentionEd a week long lumber grading coarse, I am very interested in doing something like that. Does anyone know when, where and what the cost of something like this is?
Check with NHLA for when courses are offered and where.  I know there is one in Memphis TN the first part of April.  I took mine in Indiana.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Lots of grading classes for hardwoods are through university extension, state forestry outreach and lumber associations.  We have one this summer in Antigo, WI at the North Central Tech College.

Magicman

It is amazing how our lumber perception and markets differ from locale to locale.  I am not talking about the math, but the products that our customers want.

Peter's framing lumber market is almost always "full size".  Mine is almost never full size.  He, Okra, ROL, Ron, Cedarman, WDH, and others are in business because they listen to and satisfy their customer's needs.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on March 01, 2014, 06:02:01 AM
Depends on who you sell to.  If you're talking about the hobby guy that uses a small amount of lumber, then your system works.  Most times, the hobby guy doesn't know anything about lumber grades.  If your talking about a guy that does restoration work, for example, your system might work because he knows what specifically he needs.

But, if you are selling to a cabinet shop or a wholesaler, they do understand grade and they buy by grade.  Your system doesn't work, and limits your markets.  If you don't need them as a market source, then you're okay.  Sometimes cash flow trumps price. 

You are right, Ron. I do not sell any wholesale at this time. If I do start selling wholesale, it will probably begin with pallet and ties, which have their own requirements. I sell all my lumber retail right now, and am not efficient enough yet to do wholesale. If and when I become efficient enough, you better believe I'll pay a whole lot more attention to grade. I have studied through the grade book, but would need a review before depending on it. Around here it's easy to get a fair amount of FAS / 1Face poplar, but most other species it is harder to get a lot of it. #1 Common and below would be most of it for the oak and other species, I'm afraid. My nearest grade lumber buyer I'm aware of only takes red oak and poplar at this time. I think I'll need a newer sawmill before I can safely cut wholesale grade.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on March 01, 2014, 09:27:34 AM
It is amazing how our lumber perception and markets differ from locale to locale.  I am not talking about the math, but the products that our customers want.

Peter's framing lumber market is almost always "full size".  Mine is almost never full size.  Okra, ROL, Ron, Cedarman, WDH, and others are in business because they listen to and satisfy their customer's needs.

We have a big snow load up here  :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!