The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: my old 660 franklin  (Read 2708 times)

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
Re: my old 660 franklin
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 02:48:39 am »
 Yeah the rear would pivot instead of the front end like a deere or jack. Kinda unique, I was impressed with mine, just keep them greased well. We work woodlots around here that are rocky, rugged steep stuff and the 405 I had would eat my 440D alive. The only thing was once you had a decent drag behind you, and you ever hung the hitch up the cab was the pivot at that point, I learned that one day kinda quick.

Offline Firewoodjoe

• I'm new!
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 05:18:16 am »
Ran a 518 cat that was the same way. I didn't like it. Pull good as long as it was pointed straight

Offline loggah

• Senior Member x2
  • Just hangin' around :)
    • Johnson Hollow Sawing and Shingle Making
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 07:17:49 am »
The 660 was a bit longer then the 170 with heavier axles 20 studs on the hubs.With the grapple and winch and big rubber ,and the 7/8" pedno diamond chains it was close to 15 tons, had a 177 HP 5.9 cummins in it . The guys i sold it to cleaned it up and put a coat of Franklin green on it and it looked like a new machine. I ran it a bit part time after they bought it. When the front end comes up quickly you dont know which way the cab will go,resulting in banged up shoulders!!! ;D but it took a lot to get the front up !!! i only flopped it on its side once i had a big oak in the grapple and was pulling uphill and turning both uphill tires got on a rock and stump at the same time and flop,but with the grapple on a tree it kept it from going all the way over !!!! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 12:07:58 pm »
 I had a younger guy last summer running mine, I would hook and top for 2 skidders while they buried the landing loader. Told him, dont take 6-8 good trees and turn a sharp down hill corner, well guess what...  I turn around and you could just about walk under the front end, but the cab lays off to the right side and its steep anyway, making it look even worse. After he got her back on the ground and checked his shorts he got the idea. That was his last week cutting wood. I asked him what he was going to do when It got real rough....lol

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 03:34:47 pm »
Nice looking skidder,Go Big or Go Home.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 06:03:55 pm »
Hmm...I never considered that, I never got the front end off the ground with mine, I haven't used it enough.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline loggerboy9325

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 09:13:10 pm »
I think franklins ride like Cadillacs such a good machine ashame they went out of business