The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: winter is starting to get the best of me  (Read 3707 times)

Online Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
Re: winter is starting to get the best of me
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 09:30:33 pm »
It's gotten the best out of me.  We're still working but production is way down.  The forwarder has to follow pretty close in the harvester's tracks or it will founder.  It's needed a tug a couple times.  We cut yesterday but it was too cold to run the timber machines today so we did a little firewood.  Tomorrow the forecast is a high of two with winds to 30mph and wind chills of 30 below.  We're taking the day off.  Supposed to warm up to 10 Friday so I guess we'll hit the woods again.  I was hoping to have a good couple weeks before the frost laws are put on.  Maybe we will.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 09:54:04 pm »
Have an active timber sale going right now and they are making very slow progress because of the deep snow with the tracked CTL machine and the 6wd forwarder. The other day we found a dozen or so BE hard maple logs some of which are veneer quality that I had marked and the processor operator didn't feel comfortable cutting them, so I made plans for this afternoon to go out and hand cut them.

I worked just the afternoon and I am dead. The snow was at least waist deep and if not deeper in spots (one spot measured 63" deep). Snow is so sugary that even with my snowshoes on I still sunk past my knees. Then having to shovel around the stumps to get down to ground level was a killer. Two of the trees were on a nasty hillside that the forwarder couldn't get to because of the sugar snow, I dragged some chains to them and he pulled them up where he could reach.

Got home and did my farm chores and now I feel like I got ran over by a truck, and then he threw it in reverse and hit me again.

Offline timberlinetree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 04:07:48 am »
I was in the same boat as Ed K. Monday the swamp I have been working in unfroze. Kept falling through the snow into ankle deep water. My feet wet and boots covered with ice. And now a breakdown. Ugh!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Offline Firewoodjoe

• I'm new!
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 04:48:47 am »
Yeah it's getting old that's for sure. Trimming bushy beach in 2-3 foot snow is impossible. We work every day no matter what so we'll see how today goes. Already looks nasty and it's early. 4:40am

Offline David-L

• Senior Member x2
  • present and accounted for.
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 06:03:54 am »
0 degrees, can't get the trucker to come, needing a paycheck, lost my axe, windy last couple of days, winching trees over to keep them out of the wetland. If the trucker does not come today the logs are going to a buddy who just started a job 7 miles away. No complaints on the equipment end, the block heater was the best $50 dollar investment so far this winter. Now I can have some cheese with my wine!!! Ground is froze up good and I should be able to go for awhile yet. Spring is on it's way though.

David l

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Offline 240b

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 07:02:24 am »
glad to know I not alone in my misery…   guess Ill head out and see what I can break today..

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 09:50:20 am »
I whipped out about the middle of January,  Ive waded the snow a number of times trying to buy more timber only to have the landowners tell me I was the only bid they received and was going to rebid it after the snows gone, it got me upset a little but there the owners  :-\. Talking to log buyers production is way down this winter and spring there log yards won't be full for the up coming summer. Seems like getting firewood in every day keeps me busy the wind blows and sucks the wood right up the smoke stack  ::).
Bill

Offline Woodboogah

• Blue Ribbon Outdoors
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 01:03:53 pm »
Production for me is really slow. Today cutting24" dbh pine and can only skid one at a time better then getting nothing out though.  Real waste of fuel it seems.  Better then breaking something trying to get to much uphill. More snow at the beginning of the week it looks like. I did see a small bear track today which seems early
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Online Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • My homepage
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 01:27:54 pm »
I have to make two trips for each tree. One for the butt, which is either 30' or 33', depending on what I'm making out of it, and then I go back for the top, usually another 40' or so. Tried to take one tree in two pieces yesterday, but it was just too much.

A smaller butt log:

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline stoneeaglefarm

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 03:09:55 pm »
snow is like 3 feet of sand, Skidder having a tough time, and its cold, But, We still go out and get our wood, This kind of winter lets ya know how insane you are to keep going, Kinda makes ya realize how much you are different than the 9-5 worker, Load light and pack them trials when we lose some snow with some warm weather we will be skidding like we are bob sledding. Stay safe out there if your hand chopping, Not much room to run.

Offline lumberjack48

• Senior Member x2
  • 36 yrs ago, cutting Ash saw logs
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2014, 03:11:43 pm »
Up here in the land of 10,000 swamps this is the kind of winter every logger prays for. In this kind of weather we were on the job and hour or two before day light getting the equipment running. I've seen it drop ten degree's when the sun started to peek over the trees. My S8 IH had a propane tank heater,it started with the push of the starter button. The C5-D TF had spit swappers, i usually didn't use then. I'd give the TF'er a pull with the S8, the main thing when pulling is the batteries have to have power. Third gear, low range, getter rolling, the same time you start to let the clutch out you have to push the starter button. Once it started turning over i'd give it a shot of starting fluid, sh'd pop right off. The 450 JD feller buncher started with a shot of starting fluid. We always tried to have a warming shack, to coffee up in and plan the days battle strategy.We were full time loggers, meaning this is our only income. So the longer it stayed cold, meant the longer we stayed in the swamp. We stayed until we stated falling though, push it right to the max. The main rode stays froze a long time, i remember yarding out with the Mack, it looked like  a lake, a wave in front of the truck. Where we came off the swamp on to high ground is where it got muddy. We hauled a load of sawdust everyday with the gravel truck and dumped it on this spot. When we got done here, we tried to have a block of selective cut pine to move in to. This was all planed 6 months to a year head of time so we wouldn't have any down time. Back in the 70's when the weather chased us out of the swamp it was time to start peeling pulp. I could make money peeling, but like anything there are tricks to get volume. The wife and me could peel 20 cds a day. With a saw and peeling iron and lots of sandwich's a guy could make real good money.peeling Aspen. I've peeled Jackpine, Birch, Balsam, Spruce and of coarse Aspen, Poplar, they also bought peeled Tamarack. All four of my children peeled pulp. The way it started out i fell the trees in the woods for them to peel. I seen right away how dangerous this was, try to keep track of five people, in imposable. So i got the skidder, i laid our four stringers about 15 feet apart.I fell and skidded the trees out to where i laid the stringers. This got the kids and trees out of the woods. And also got the trees off the ground making it a lot easier peeling. I paid them 40 cents a tree. I had to watch the one boy, he counted the tree when he started peeling it, then when he got done peeling it he counted it again. :D Peeling usually started about April, 20 and lasted to July,1, we peeled about 1200 cds.

I'd better stop, I'm not on the main topic anymore
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2014, 03:30:01 pm »
Dave thats some fine looking logs your pulling, you never get tired of cutting timber like that.
Bill

Offline 240b

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2014, 05:23:20 pm »
I picked up a bag of rock salt of the way to work this am.  spread it in the wheel tracks on the hill were I could bearly scratch my way up yesterday by lunch time I was able to drive half way up with out droping the hitch. still had to winch up the rest uf the way but its better than it was.  50lbs did about 150' of trail. 

Offline jwilly3879

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 05:42:57 pm »
Trucker came today for a load of pine. We put two set of chains on his truck and he went right up the hill. It took me three tries with the T100 in 4wd, sliding back down the hill was no fun, I finally got over into some snow and made it up. While he loaded I ran the skidder down the hill and widened the road a little so we could get off to the side. I barely made it back up with the machine, it was cold enough that the no-spin wouldn't lock up on the rear axle and the ice is so hard the rings on the front wouldn't dig in at all. Time for some new ice chains for the back.

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 06:27:53 pm »
Dave, THAT is nice wood. I'm jealous.  :o
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't force it get a bigger hammer
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 06:46:54 pm »
Yeh I'm getting tired mentality and physically but its still good going other than the fore mentioned mealy snow so I'm hoping to push hard the next couple weeks and take a little breather then off too my mud season lot
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 07:41:34 pm »
But I did get a load in to day hope to get more before the melt.

All 16' hemlock  8) 8) ;D and two 12s
And the time will come to send these, to boil maple syrup. ;D ;D

2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline David-L

• Senior Member x2
  • present and accounted for.
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 09:34:36 pm »
Trucker came for two loads today and two more tomorrow. That made my frozen bones warm up abit. cold and windy here and will be minus #'s tonight. woods work is done for this week, people calling for hay and thats cash on the barrel . stay warm all. Dave Shepard, nice looking timba!!!. Loving the new axe, i'll find old Betsy this spring, she's resting under the snow.

David l

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2014, 04:19:15 am »
 We have been thru more "911" fuel conditioner and kerosene than I care to think about. Its to the point im either getting one of those machine pre-heaters or just saying the hell with it. We own a large gravel pit and for some reason every municipality cant figure out how to buy enough ahead, keeping the loaders and screeners going is a full time job. I dont think batteries are made as well anymore, or its just to cold, even my detroit powered forwarder doesnt like it and she loves the cold. A 276-T deere engine is about the best in the cold ive found, my 440D and landing loader will start easily to about -5.

Offline Firewoodjoe

• I'm new!
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2014, 08:48:18 am »
Took a extra two hours but we're slashin wood at -24F nice hey!