iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

felt like a dog chasing his tail

Started by backwoods sawyer, February 25, 2014, 05:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoods sawyer

We were running right on schedule this morning a short 20 mile drive,  easy road to find, I have milled for this guy several times just not at this location, looking for an address starting with 13,  first house started with 1 2, next house started with 14. Turned around looking for a hidden drive, Nope, turned around again, first house was missing the 4 in 14276.

Milled a tall ponderosa pine into all ½ by random width 1" increments, the dog boards were 13/16. It will be put up as wall sheeting in a rustic cabin in the next few days. A few of the narrow pieces were sliced down the middle for live edged door and window trim.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You should try finding WDH's house going by the numbers.....it'll make you SCREAM!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Gotta love it! nothing is as it seems when hitting the road and following directions     
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

goose63

You should try looking for my place 10036 460 ave wont find it in N D I live in S D but the court house Sisseton says its in N D its a border thing don't get lost here with all the roads closed round here we might not find you till spring :D ???
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

Sounded like a nice job once you found it Harvey.  Sometimes you can not trust a GPS either.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

some of the directions people give, its a wonder they find their way home at all :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Bill Gaiche

Last year we have Rocklahoma concert 15 miles north of us. There were hundreds of car that came to our location guided by there phone map. This went on for 2 days. They were from Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Texas, Miss, Missouri,and a couple of more that I have forgot. There were some unhappy people and late also. But GPS systems sure do help these days though. bg

Peter Drouin

The GPS things get better all the time. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Nomad

Hey, I followed a GPS one time and it took me across the middle of a beaver pond.  That wasn't funny!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 25, 2014, 05:46:42 PM
You should try finding WDH's house going by the numbers.....it'll make you SCREAM!  :D

You can't find me by the numbers......however, if you turn in at the tree farm sign and go 1/2 mile, you can find me.  Maybe. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brian C.

Living here in Belleville, MI, there is a road that sort of follows the Huron river for about 60, maybe 70 miles to Lake Erie. It stops, turns, and even divides into 2 separate roads, one on each side of the river. Sure is fun giving directions.

Magicman

The directions to my tree farm is go past Red Lick and turn at the Red Brick Church before you get to Coon Box.  And to think that some folks think that you are joking.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cedarman

When the truckers use their GPS to find our mill it tells them that they should turn in my son's small drive which they can't do.  They are so relieved when they see our mill another 1/2 mile down the road.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

barbender

WDH, I remember when I visited Georgia a few years back, I was complaining to a local that the road system didn't seem to have much rhyme or reason to it. He responded that his momma had told him that way back they turned hogs loose and then followed them and put the road there  :)
Too many irons in the fire

Onthesauk

Google has our road 1/4 mile north of our actual road.  Map is really nothing but a gravel DNR road.  I've tried working through the process to get it corrected but they hate to admit a mistake.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

pine

Mapquest and their counterparts are notorious for inaccurate mapping and their refusal to fix the issues.

We routinely get folks coming by looking for the high school.  It has become such a joke that we almost went to the effort to print up small maps that we could just hand out. 

If a car pulls up the first thing we say is "Mapquest right?"

We tell them they can put their vehicle in 4 wheel drive and cut through the woods up the hill and drive through the lake, it is only 300 meters to the southeast.  We give them the other option to drive a 6 km loop and use the roads to get to the school.  The mapping companies think there is a road/street that goes through the lake and forest. :-\

Magicman

I passed a TomTom car yesterday.  It was driving along with it's "snorkel" up.

WDH

Quote from: barbender on February 28, 2014, 07:07:56 PM
WDH, I remember when I visited Georgia a few years back, I was complaining to a local that the road system didn't seem to have much rhyme or reason to it. He responded that his momma had told him that way back they turned hogs loose and then followed them and put the road there  :)

We had a bunch of hogs when I was growing up  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The Hogs in Georgia still make roads and puts numbers on mail boxes.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

You can talk to a cow, but a hog won't listen....(Old Saying). 

barbender

Now if you boys want a little state to state banter, I found this story pretty amusing. My buddy that moved down there had 2 friends, one a Georgia native and one a transplant from Alabama. Those two would go round and round, trying to prove which state was more backwards and "redneck". One day these two stop at the dump, it's during the Christmas season. The dump attendant had actually brought his cow ??? with him to work, and had Christmas decorations on it ??? So the two friends are hard at it, the Alabama native tells the Georgia boy, "Now if you Georgians ain't real hicks, with that there decorated cow, I just never heard of such a thing!" The Georgia boy is pretty deflated, this is hard to argue with. So they go over and ask the attendant,"How in the world did you bring your cow to work?" He says, "Aw, we just walked, I just live over the hill. I'm originally from Alabama though". :D
Too many irons in the fire

Brucer

Located as it is, on the side of a mountain, my fair city has a few streets that stop for a while and then start up again. Usually there is something in the way -- like a deep gulley, or a piece of mountainside, or a former railroad yard. Queen street is the worst -- it's in four sections. It's the one with the railroad yard.

My own street is only in 3 pieces.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Small Slick

Mapquest has its downsides however we send electricians all over the country and it is really nice to print off directions or the guys use their smart phones. It wasn't long ago when we would photocopy platt books and use a highlighter for the route.

For the few times it misses the GPS systems do save a lot of unneeded travel for us.

John

Ianab

Quote from: Brucer on March 01, 2014, 01:58:28 AM
Located as it is, on the side of a mountain, my fair city has a few streets that stop for a while and then start up again. Usually there is something in the way -- like a deep gulley, or a piece of mountainside, or a former railroad yard. Queen street is the worst -- it's in four sections. It's the one with the railroad yard.

My own street is only in 3 pieces.

Same here. About 10 streets that run Nth/Sth, but only 3 bridges over the river  :D

But what I DO like about a decent GPS (Google Maps on smartphone) is that it can tell you where YOU are. A normal map can tell you where you want to go, but if you then take a wrong turn you can get lost and can have a heck of a time figuring out where you actually are.  My phone will tell me where I actually am, to within about 10ft and show it on a Satellite map so I can check if there is another 1/2 of the street over the river.  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Sheepkeeper

GPS can be a very useful tool when used properly. People who blindly follow the GPS directions without using good common sense are the ones who get in trouble. Personally, if the GPS had me heading for a cliff I'd be stopping and asking for a second opinion rather than driving over the edge :)!
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

Thank You Sponsors!