iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Photos of tract after thinning

Started by Offthebeatenpath, February 25, 2014, 11:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Offthebeatenpath

I've seen a lot of inspiring photos recently of log piles and loaded trucks.  I've mentioned before that I don't have high production numbers, but I wanted to show a couple shots I took of the skid roads and forest after I was finished cutting certain tracts for the season.  There's lots of great trees left and now there's actually a bit of light getting to the forest floor for regeneration.

1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

jwilly3879

Nice photos and a clean job. Was there a forester on your job?

Offthebeatenpath

Thanks. No forester involved, but it's family land so planning for the future is very important to me.  I hadn't marked specific trees previously, but I took the opportunity in the warm spell this week to paint some trees and get a better game plan for what's left.  That's when I took the photos.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

thecfarm

That looks good. Glad to see you are planing for the future.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offthebeatenpath

enigmaT120

Looks good.  Did you get any "before" pictures?  How much did you remove?

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

terry f

Nice, I wish more were done like that.

rockwall

treeslayer2003

looks good, I do that all the time. I mighta took a little bit more but we have a longer growing season. I actually have seen the forester mark more than I would take.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Rick Alger

Nice work.

Did you drive over the tops or lop them?

thecfarm

I looked at about 2 acres right behind the house that has not seen a chainsaw for probably 100 years? We never cut in there. Some good size pine,but some hardwood too. Was a field many years ago. Many rocks in there,really not much of a field,but when hay was cut by hand,it worked. There is a little bit of a stone wall along the woods road.I was going to start to thin it out before the last couple snow storms. I've been thinking about doing this for years. Maybe I'll stop thinking and do something.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

OTBP, I had to do a double take (and read you sig ::)), thought to myself "That's not a skidsteer?!"  Didn't know you had upgraded to a skidder.  Nice pics.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Birchwood Logging

Nice looking job how many years do you think it will be befor the next thinning or harvest
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

nhlogga

Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

GATreeGrower

Offthebeatenpath

Thanks All.

I realize that I'm in a fortunate situation.  I plan on cutting these trees little by little as needed for the next few decades.  If I need a few trees for cash or lumber, I can thin a bit more.  Just getting all the roads cut in for access is a big step.  This tract of land hasn't been worked since before my grandfather died which was before I was born.

Ed- I foolishly didn't take before pics.  We've been harvesting maybe 20-25%, focussing on the most mature (just starting to get heart rot), cutting out a bunch of beech saplings (for better or worse), and ice storm damaged hardwood, mostly soft maple.  There is some massive red oak that I'm leaving for another day.

Rick- We're (I have a guy helping a couple days a week) limbing in the woods, cutting tops, saplings and slash smaller, then driving over it.

Ray- Sounds like it's high time to cut a couple of those 100 year old trees.  Even if it's only a few...

Yeah John, I upgraded to a skidder.  Love it. I still use the skid steer with grapple to stack logs, move snow and occasionally move brush.  They're a good team for low impact operations.

Ken

Looks really nice.  Nice stems in there for another day. It's always rewarding to look back after a hard days work and see a forest stand that has been improved by your work. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

pine

Should definitely allow the remaining timber to develop into nice saw logs.  Good job.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!