iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

648 wiring harness

Started by timberjack 450, February 20, 2014, 06:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack 450

My 648 keeps throwing codes. The latest being F393. A transmission code. I'm gonna have Nortrax come out next week and calibrate the tranny, even though I think it's just an electrical problem. Seem coincidental that there are more codes going off when it is raining hard. I am gonna change the harnesses when the weather breaks. They are not real expensive from River Ridge out of Alabama. Has anyone changed them and if so how difficult is it? I will be tilting the cab.   
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor
Almost forgot, and a very patient woman

Kemper

Should be easy to get to. Ours was throwing a tranny code. John Deere sent us a diagram of the sensors located around the tranny. They have to be tightened snug but not over tight. Once we did that, the codes went away. Those sensors can over time, work their way loose again.

I would try to snug those up first, before I had someone come out for big money. You could check them all in a morning.

nk14zp

A stick can come in and hit them too.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

kiko

F393
Unexpected directional clutch slippage.  Check the wires and plugs to the trans speed sensors.  They are located on the side of trans , with one on each side. They have a round cover and are the only thing that plugs in on the side of the trans. This code should kick the trans into neutral and shifter must be reset into park to continue.  Transmission calibration does require a John deere tech as it can be done from the monitor. PM for detailed information on calibration.

lumbertick

i believe we were having that code on ours also... does it pop up when you are holding the clutch to open grapple?
if so they told me it was just throwing that code because you are slipping the clutch to much... that was on a 05 648gIII

timberjack 450

Thanks for all the advice. I will check the sensors. It's not the tranny. She hooks up and pulls with no slipping. I think I will not use the clutch so much. Maybe I am slipping it. I am still gonna get it calibrated. A fool and his money will soon part. Probably a $1200 call.
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor

lumbertick

ya our tranny was fine to... when your are backing up a hill and using the clutch alot it will throw that code... i woulnt worry about it ours did it for years.. did it when it was brand new.. i wouldnt pay them to come out there they arnt going to do anything but charge you money and erase the code.. thats just my two sense tho.. your money.

timberjack 450

I noticed today that when I push the clutch in, the code goes out and the stop sigh stops flashing. Then when I start going out with a hitch they come back. If I push in the clutch again they will go out. Can't stand that flashing light. They never should have put computers in skidders.

timberjack 450

Kiko
I did PM you, but I don't think my PMs are going thru for some reason

timberjack 450

Lumbertick you bought your 648 new in 05? How has it been thru the years. I bought this one down south from what I found out is a very honest dealer. He was great. We still talk. It has 4 months on a motor rebuild. I have had it 2 months and hasn't used any motor or tranny fluid. Do I use the hytran in the rears also? Other than all the codes it has been great. I am going to put new harnesses in it when the weather breaks. I chained her up and she really pulls.

lumbertick

yup we put about 8,000 hours on it and sold it.. we got out of the tree length and went to CTL.... it was an alright machine... had a few electrical problems the main computer went out of it... other then that it did pull nice.. and as far as the rear ends im not sure we never had to add any... but i am sure it is hydra trans...

timberjack 450

timberjack 450

Is there any way I can delete the fault codes out of my monitor or does JD have to come out and do it ?

kiko

There is no need to clear codes that are inactive, they will not affect operation. If you clear active codes they will come right back. Timberjack, I did not receive your last pm.

timberjack 450

Kiko, I will send you an email because my PM only works when it wants to.

Thank You Sponsors!