iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

splitter log lift

Started by stumper, February 25, 2014, 07:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumper

does anyone know of an in expensive hydraulic log lift kit for a wood splitter? 

goose63

I used a 12 volt atv winch on mine

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

21incher

I also used a atv winch to raise and lower my log loader. I think the only way to get a inexpensive hydraulic one would be by scrounging a used cylinder and valve and building it yourself.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

currantvt

I bought one of those cheapo pick up cranes - $60 from the local discount tool place.I had to make a mounting  so it straddles the beam and ram , it came with a hydraulic pump jack which you could change for a ram but it works fine and , I think, better than what is offered by Timberwolf as you can pull logs from all round the machine without having to roll them onto the lifting plate.

brendonv

Its a neat idea.

Ive been thinking of adding a hydro pump on my super splitter and doing some sort of log lift.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

r.man

I have it in mind that a lifter could be powered by the backstroke of the splitting ram when needed. Haven't figured out the details of cable or lever but I think it can be done.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

gspren

Quote from: r.man on March 02, 2014, 08:24:43 AM
I have it in mind that a lifter could be powered by the backstroke of the splitting ram when needed. Haven't figured out the details of cable or lever but I think it can be done.

I have also thought about that and came up with a few ideas but I'm not saying they were good ideas. :D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

drobertson

wheels are turning now, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

r.man

I don't think a wheel will work, too round.

drobertson

I sketched  and scratched all day, iced in all day yesterday.  Just this http://youtu.be/zwUPrDJIQcY morning I found this neat idea on youtube, close what I had in mind, pretty handy, might be costly? not sure, probably not too bad, I think these ole boys are pretty thrifty, and smart,  Not sure how to get it to show up?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

r.man

That has all the features I had imagined except I would want to be able to lock it up or down which would be simple to add. I would probably have got to that design eventually but they have done the hard work for me. I was stuck on the idea of the platform being hinged lengthways on the machine and I couldn't come up with a design I liked although as of yet I had only designed in my head while I was at the splitter cursing the large blocks.

r.man

I just reread your post and you were iced in in Missouri? Shouldn't you be gatored in, or oranged in or even hurricaned in.

drobertson

Not sure, been cold here bout all winter, well, no, it's been a roller coaster, real nice one day then a week of cold, snow, and yesterday a few inches of sleet topped off with a couple of snow, bout gone now,  I thought about  keeping the platform up too, but that one works pretty slick,   

thecfarm

That works mighty slick!! Too bad those guys couldn't find some slabs. Than they would not need a splitter.   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Quote from: thecfarm on March 03, 2014, 08:21:45 AM
That works mighty slick!! Too bad those guys couldn't find some slabs. Than they would not need a splitter.   :D
I kept waiting for them to cut chunks, I thought the might be making shingles? hard one to figure,  it is slick,

pineywoods

Pretty slick. Them old boys have been around the block a few times. Notice how they split slabs off the side of the round. That says they know a bit about sweet gum and elm. They're stacking the output on pallets to save handling..Everything is stand-up height, no stooping and bending.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

drobertson

Notice how they split slabs off the side of the round. That says they know a bit about sweet gum and elm.

I read about that trick  years ago, using a maul, axe, or the likes never knew it was that important  with hydraulics?
In any case I like the design of that loader, simple and out of the way.  Pretty quick too, 

gspren

I like it, I even like the color.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Ivan49

I wonder how  the linkage works that goes from the cylinder end back to raise and lower the lift. If you watch it work in slides inside of each other. Vid is worth watching just to hear the tractor run

r.man

I think I know why you would want the linkage that way. If the lift linkage was rigid the lift platform would be pushing down when it got to the bottom if the land was too high or if debris got under the platform. With the simple rod in tube linkage the platform will float when it gets to the bottom unless a large lump ended up underneath. You could also reverse the whole rig to the front end and use a cable so no matter what was under the platform it could only press with gravity not hydraulic pressure.

Rockn H

Quote from: pineywoods on March 03, 2014, 10:45:36 AM
Pretty slick. Them old boys have been around the block a few times. Notice how they split slabs off the side of the round. That says they know a bit about sweet gum and elm. They're stacking the output on pallets to save handling..Everything is stand-up height, no stooping and bending.

I'm with what pineywoods said  ;)
I had to go back and watch the video again... first time through I just thought it was funny they were slabbing it like Sycamore. The vid was grainy and it never registered that it wasn't oak. LOL

Ivan49

After watching it a couple of times I think it is clever the way it lifts. I also thought about a chain instead of the linkage.

Thank You Sponsors!