iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bench sharpener

Started by Upnorth, February 24, 2014, 10:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upnorth

Just bought a bench mounted chainsaw sharpener/grinder that appears exactly the same as the Oregon 511 series. I run a Husqvarna 365, with an Oregon 73LGX chain. I tried it according to the Oregon specs, 55 degree sweep, 25 degree angle and a 10 degree rise but with disappointing results. Cuts straight, but that's about it. Anyone here have any suggestions?? Thanks!
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

br389

I grind all of my chains at 60 and 30.. Be careful not to hold the grinding wheel on your chain for to long because you'll take the taper out of the chain and then it'll only be good for cutting a couple cords.. I just hit my chain tooth really quick about three times then move to the other tooth...

MJD

I have 2 grinding wheels, one is profiled to a cutter on a new chain (ends up oblong/not round) and I use that wheel for 3 sharpenings or until it doesnt fit anymore,then go to a bullnose wheel when the cutters are getting shorter. Once the chain has been sharpend 3 times or so those chains were saved for the saw I leave on the landing for bucking muddy logs. I use 30/ 60 also on oregon chains, stihl chains 60/25.

Upnorth

Thank for the input, got it figured out now. On my chains, Oregon 73LGX series, they call for 25 degree angle and 55 degree sweep. Adjusted to 25 and 60, 0 degree lift, works great. As good as a new chain. Thanks again!
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

36 coupe

Quote from: br389 on February 25, 2014, 06:28:13 AM
I grind all of my chains at 60 and 30.. Be careful not to hold the grinding wheel on your chain for to long because you'll take the taper out of the chain and then it'll only be good for cutting a couple cords.. I just hit my chain tooth really quick about three times then move to the other tooth...
Heres what happens if you grind a saw tooth too much.It will turn blue an be too hard to file.I got some saw chain that was too hard to file, it could only be sharpened by grinding.The word is temper,not taper.

Thank You Sponsors!