iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice on basic sawmill purchase

Started by burgertime, February 24, 2014, 09:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianb88

If nothing else all of your replies have been helpful to me.  I am still looking, saving, learning and I can hardly wait for the day to buy my own mill.  I travel a fair distance with my work (lots of rural areas) and lately it seems that I see a sawmill every few miles.  :)  It is hard not to stop and visit when I see them.
Measure twice, cut once

5quarter

Since he's been gone a few days, I'm guessing he went to Hardees. :D :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

marcusthgault

The burgerdog's question has been well beneficial to me as well.
Thank you all.
PS
Now gotta re-visit Turners hyd mill spec, which I had discounted on account of the "odd-ball" tyre's for  band-wheel's system.
sigh!
Theres nathing as wouldnay werk better fer been teighn asundry furst.

bandmiller2

With bandmills you pretty much get what you pay for, if you luck out with a good used one you can "marry up". If your sure you will only be dubbing around for yourself almost any manual mill will work. If you think you may turn a buck with the mill invest in hydraulics. A name brand like WM is worth more because of its engineering and good resale value. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

marcusthgault

I can catogorically (and ruefully ;D perhaps) state that I have spent more research time and due-diligence :P on my ongoing "perfect" sawmill  project.
Than I ever did on any University :-[ coursework projects.
Marcus
Civil Engineer, failed.
Theres nathing as wouldnay werk better fer been teighn asundry furst.

burgertime

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!  I'M HERE!!!!!!!!

Wow, before I even begin to read this responses, I want to thank everyone for their reply.  I got to the response about me getting a burger and I decided, before I read anything else...  I gotta let these folks know I'm alive!

This is undoubtedly the most active forum I have ever been a member of and I'm a member of a lot of forums :)  I've never seen this many replies in such a short time. 

I was in our Northern Neck, VA shop.  We have satellite internet there which, if any of your poor souls have to deal with that, you know how awful it is so I generally try to stay off the internet to avoid frustration.  Geez, we've barely got cell service there.

Ok, now that I'm back to my Maryland shop (which has actual high speed internet) I shall take a moment this evening to read and take in all of this advice and then be back!

Oh, and "burgertime" is the title of a video game I used to play on intellivision when I was a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Pijj7Ty9E

Talk soon!  And thanks for being so attentive!  lord knows I haven't been!

-Mike

redbeard

Welcome back and welcome to the Forestry forum Burger time. If you have food in your name everyone pays more attention to you.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

Quote from: burgertime on February 27, 2014, 07:51:37 PMHOLY SMOKES!!!!!!  I'M HERE!!!!!!!! 
:D  That should teach you not to build a fire and then leave it unattended.   ;D  You will always get many honest and helpful answers/opinions here.  Not all will agree, but all are based on experience and have merit. 

Actually you can listen and pay attention to all but one person here.  His advice, you should avoid at all cost.   ;D   :D :D  Welcome back.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Magicman on February 28, 2014, 08:42:52 AM
Actually you can listen and pay attention to all but one person here.  His advice, you should avoid at all cost.   ;D   :D :D  Welcome back.   8)

Magicman = smiley_devil.  ;D 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

drobertson

Does anyone know of an independent, side by side comparison of all, or most of all the manual mills that produced?    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

redbeard

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine has some good comparison issues. You can download back issues.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

shinnlinger

If you did a side by side, what would you compare? Cost, Engines, throat capacity, length of log, clamps, back stops, ease of use,  extras?   

I have seen the woodlot shootouts but seem to recall it talked about BDFT per hour, which has so many variables beyond the mill itself I don't know how helpful that info would be, especially with a manual mill.  I mean a pile of 16ft, 20"DBH straight logs on a deck with a helper and tractor with forks and a bunch of room to work is going to yield much more than wimpy, crooked trees stacked on a muddy sidehill you get to peavy on the mill yourself.

MY advice would be to consider your personal health and physical abilities, access to cheap to free quality logs, and how your going to move and store the logs, boards, slabs etc before you get into the mill itself.  My feeling is  mill preference is kind of like the  Ford Chevy thing. You will probably learn to like whatever mill you have and make good lumber with it if you can get good trees.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Magicman

The best and really only way to know is to put your hands on different brands and types.  There are many here who will welcome a visit.  Especially if you bring burgers 'cause we like food.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

burgertime

Quote from: muck on February 24, 2014, 10:57:11 PM
I went for a woodland mills saw.
its half the price of a LT15
welcome and goodluck.

What model?  no complaints?

burgertime

We will be cutting mostly pine.  There are about 1000 pine trees on my father-in-laws property.  Purely recreational so we can build things without worrying about the cost of lumber - have you seen what Home Depot or Lowes charges for a 1x12x12 pine board? :o

We figure, this beast is going to be in one place all the time.  We have no use for mobility.  It will be under a roof, just outside the shop.  We figure we will fell a tree, trim it into 12' sections or similar and haul it up to the mill using a jeep.  From there, we'll get the log onto the track using various block/tackle pulley systems.

If I am over-glorifying this and not thinking of everything due to never having had a mill, SPEAK UP!!!!!

two-legged-sawmill

If you did a side by side, what would you compare? Cost, Engines, throat capacity, length of log, clamps, back stops, ease of use,  extras?   

I have seen the woodlot shootouts but seem to recall it talked about BDFT per hour, which has so many variables beyond the mill itself I don't know how helpful that info would be, especially with a manual mill.  I mean a pile of 16ft, 20"DBH straight logs on a deck with a helper and tractor with forks and a bunch of room to work is going to yield much more than wimpy, crooked trees stacked on a muddy sidehill you get to peavy on the mill yourself.

MY advice would be to consider your personal health and physical abilities, access to cheap to free quality logs, and how your going to move and store the logs, boards, slabs etc before you get into the mill itself.  My feeling is  mill preference is kind of like the  Ford Chevy thing. You will probably learn to like whatever mill you have and make good lumber with it if you can get good trees.
The above post is one of the best I have read for a wantabe, novice or beginer,as an old timer I rate it as A-Plus, complete coverage! Dan sr
Thank Shinnlinger
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

burgertime

Watched a video on Norwood's site.  The LM29 seems like very worthy machine. 

Bandmill Bandit

My vote would go to the Woodmizer LT 15 with power feed, 1st choice and 2 nd  would be Norwood Lumbermate LM29. Both are solid mills with excellent dealer support net works and have a very good resale value. There are quite few other mill that will do the job for you but the service networks are not  as well established. Access to parts and supplies is an important consideration IMHO.

Good luck in your search.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

shinnlinger

If acess  to parts is your  #1priority then a Turner is what you want as all the parts are available at your local auto parts store.   Good basic mill as well. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Planman1954

When I read your initial post, it sounded exactly like ME before I bought a sawmill. My friend had a Lumbermate 2000, and that is what I bought. I found a used one and paid around $6500 for it (I think.) It had a 23hp Briggs and Stratton, and an electric start. If you can find one with those 2 features used, BUY IT. It is a great manual mill, and the bed is HEAVY DUTY. I had slammed some BIG logs on it, and it doesn't flintch. That's my 2 cents!  :)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

thecfarm

I have a mamaul mill and the only thing I needed to buy for it,I think I had it for 10 years,is one guide wheel. Not much to go wrong with those manual mills.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, burgertime. :)
Where are you located on the Northern Neck? I have several relatives there about.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Nomad

Quote from: Planman1954 on March 01, 2014, 04:57:21 PM
When I read your initial post, it sounded exactly like ME before I bought a sawmill. My friend had a Lumbermate 2000, and that is what I bought. I found a used one and paid around $6500 for it (I think.) It had a 23hp Briggs and Stratton, and an electric start. If you can find one with those 2 features used, BUY IT. It is a great manual mill, and the bed is HEAVY DUTY. I had slammed some BIG logs on it, and it doesn't flintch. That's my 2 cents!  :)

That's exactly the mill I started out with.  He's right!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

burgertime

Quote from: clww on March 01, 2014, 05:42:58 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, burgertime. :)
Where are you located on the Northern Neck? I have several relatives there about.

about 15 miles south of Kilmarnock.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!