Previous topic - Next topic

goose63

ours went up last Friday county roads are 6 ton
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

chevytaHOE5674

Our restrictions went on this morning at 8am. Of course our log truck snapped a PTO shaft last night with about 40 cord still in the woods. O well we are going to keep cutting and decking and the pulp is going to get scaled in the woods and hauled after break-up.

WH_Conley

They don't post the roads here. The road my in laws live on was paved last summer, first time ever. There is a fellow logging on that road now that does not cut back for anything. If driving a pickup you are OK. In a car you will drag the bottom out of it. Back to a dirt road. I feel for you guys that get your income pinched I also see why it is done too. Not picking on anybody, just kind of depressed seeing as those folks finally got a decent road and had it less than a year.
Bill

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bricklayer51

Alpena and Alcona countys posted their roads this morning.

Gearbox

Tomorrow at midnite in nothern mn zone . you notice BarBender has not been on . there is no rest this week . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Red Horse Farm

Signs went up in my area, too.  With my dually daily driver registered at 26K I'm effectively posted out of my own driveway again  :D 
JD 4120, Fransgard Winch, Stihl 260 & 460 saws

Ken

Our road restrictions go on tonight.  It's a shame as next weeks temperatures look to be staying well below normal.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Jamie_C

snowstorm

Quote from: Red Horse Farm on March 14, 2015, 11:48:28 PM
Signs went up in my area, too.  With my dually daily driver registered at 26K I'm effectively posted out of my own driveway again  :D
no your not. it goes by what the truck weights. not reg weight. and if the truck is used as part of your job you can take it home. if its empty

Red Horse Farm

Quote from: snowstorm on March 15, 2015, 09:02:34 AM
Quote from: Red Horse Farm on March 14, 2015, 11:48:28 PM
no your not. it goes by what the truck weights. not reg weight. and if the truck is used as part of your job you can take it home. if its empty

Just looked it up  - you're half right.  It's 23,000 registered GVW.  Fortunately, you're right about the empty part, good to know although it's never stopped me from getting home before!

http://www.maine.gov/mdot/csd/mlrc/technical/ti/restrictedregs.htm

Also always heard guys talking about going anyway when the road is frozen, never knew there was actually a written exemption for that!

Red Horse Farm

Then there's this part:

"It shall be a defense to a violation of this sub-section if the combined weight of any vehicle or combination of vehicles registered for a gross weight in excess of 23,000 pounds and its load is in fact less than 23,000 pounds."

Which could be taken to mean that if you are actually weighing in at less than 23K but registered for more than 23K you could contest a violation?  What lawyer wrote that nonsense? 

I never worry about it in an empty pickup, haven't had any trouble. 

s grinder

Red Horse Farm,Why would you register a dually pickup for 26K ? Is it 550 Super Duty or a 5500 Ram ?

Red Horse Farm

Quote from: s grinder on March 15, 2015, 05:18:12 PM
Red Horse Farm,Why would you register a dually pickup for 26K ? Is it 550 Super Duty or a 5500 Ram ?

In Maine, we are required to register a truck for it's maximum gross combined weight, GCW.  This is the total weight of truck and trailer as if weighed on a scale.  In my case, I have a hydraulic boat trailer for my boatyard that has a GCWR of 21K as well as a dual tandem gooseneck equipment trailer that's about the same.  I register my rig for 26K to avoid the fuel tax issue and I'm not usually over that so it works out. 

This is very different than the requirements for a CDL as this is done by total GCWR, not what you actually happen to weigh on the scales like the above scenario.  You can't just de-rate a truck or trailer by registering it for less weight.  So - you add up the truck's GVW from the door sticker and trailer's GVW from the manufactures plate, and if it's over 26K combined, you need a class A CDL

So for my truck (12,500 GVWR) when I'm towing either of my trailers (21,000 GVWR), I'm in CDL territory.

Lots of guys don't worry about the weight of their truck registration and just hook on to their tractor (or whatever)and go to work.  Mostly they don't get caught, especially a single wheel truck with no lettering, etc.  I used to do this until I bought the hydraulic trailer then had to get liability insurance and a DOT number for it so I had to go legit. 

That's the semi-short answer, hope it made sense!

s grinder

Different states have different requirements 

snowstorm

Quote from: Red Horse Farm on March 15, 2015, 06:34:47 PM

In Maine, we are required to register a truck for it's maximum gross combined weight, GCW.  This is the total weight of truck and trailer as if weighed on a scale.  In my case, I have a hydraulic boat trailer for my boatyard that has a GCWR of 21K as well as a dual tandem gooseneck equipment trailer that's about the same.  I register my rig for 26K to avoid the fuel tax issue and I'm not usually over that so it works out. 

This is very different than the requirements for a CDL as this is done by total GCWR, not what you actually happen to weigh on the scales like the above scenario.  You can't just de-rate a truck or trailer by registering it for less weight.  So - you add up the truck's GVW from the door sticker and trailer's GVW from the manufactures plate, and if it's over 26K combined, you need a class A CDL

So for my truck (12,500 GVWR) when I'm towing either of my trailers (21,000 GVWR), I'm in CDL territory.

Lots of guys don't worry about the weight of their truck registration and just hook on to their tractor (or whatever)and go to work.  Mostly they don't get caught, especially a single wheel truck with no lettering, etc.  I used to do this until I bought the hydraulic trailer then had to get liability insurance and a DOT number for it so I had to go legit. 

your half right. you can reg that truck for 18000 if you want then buy a booster for 26000 for any amount of time you want. you are already in cdl country. any trailer over 10k. where is your marina??

mjeselskis

your half right. you can reg that truck for 18000 if you want then buy a booster for 26000 for any amount of time you want. you are already in cdl country. any trailer over 10k. where is your marina??
[/quote]

Snowstorm, a trailer over 10k requires a cdl? Even a one ton hauling a 8 ton trailer?
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

Red Horse Farm

Quote from: snowstorm on March 15, 2015, 09:02:11 PM
Quote from: Red Horse Farm on March 15, 2015, 06:34:47 PM

The way it was explained to me, I can register a truck for any weight I want as it's up to me to make sure I'm legal, up to the state maximum of 34K for a truck with two axles.  The weight booster is for times when you may have an unusual load for a trip or short time frame.  It's way less expansive and hassle to just do 26K and be done with it once a year (for me, anyway)

My boatyard is in Penobscot - no marina, just a service & indoor storage yard.  I use the trailer to shift boats around in and out of different bays as well as haul and launch customer boats.  I also do in-state boat hauling, launching, etc

mjeselskis, sorry couldn't get the 'quote' to work for this one:

Straight from the Maine CDL exam manual:

Under federal (and Maine) law, you must have a CDL to operate any of the following vehicles:

-Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the gross vehicle weight rating or gross weight of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
- Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating or gross

So for a CDL, if your trailer and truck's GVRW as listed on the manufacturers door sticker/VIN plate adds up to less than 26,000lbs, you don't need A CDL, if it does (and the trailer is more than 10,000GVWR), you do.  This is a federal standard. 

Where there is often confusion is that if you are in commerce Interstate OR intrastate and your registered gross vehicle weight is over 10K, you need a DOT number (this is a Maine law).  Trailer or not, if you are selling stuff, for hire, whatever makes money out of the vehicle, you need a DOT number unless it's a small vehicle.  Its a PITA to be completely legal in this state.  This is the link for that:

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/commercial_vehicles/faq.html

Not at all trying to claim I know everything, I just went through this with my new truck & trailer so I've done a lot of research and spoken directly to the CMV office in Augusta with the very same questions.  I've gotten a little off topic I guess, but hope it helps

Thank You Sponsors!