iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Project Completed in FOREVER

Started by Dodgy Loner, February 24, 2014, 04:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

Or at least that's what it feels like ::)

My wife asked for a new kitchen island countertop. Cherry, of course. Her favorite wood. No arguments from me, I love cherry too, and I have plenty of it! :)

I wanted it to be 1.5" thick, so I pulled out some 8/4 cherry that Magicman milled for me about 3 years ago.

A couple evening later, it was ready to finish. Finish took longer than the build, because I decided to use polyurethane for extra protection. I am not normally a big fan of poly, but I felt like the end use justified it in this case. Took more than a week to get the finish like I wanted it.

Finally got the countertop out of my shop and into the kitchen last night. Wife was VERY pleased. Makes the whole room look better, really.

Some of it had great figure:

Did some walnut edge banding, just for fun.

So now I can finally eat my soup with a wooden spoon from a wooden bowl on a wooden plate on a wooden countertop. Life is grand and wood is good 8)

Now, quick looking and go build something! :D
(I should take my own advice more often ::))
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

thecfarm

Like them chairs too.
If I ever show my wood working skills off,all that you would see is a tree on the ground. That's where my wood working skills stop.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Very nice. I like cherry. I like soup, too, but I use a lot of crackers. Like a lot more than you. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dodgy Loner

I like to use cornbread to thicken my soup. But I didn't have enough cornbread to thicken it properly, so I had to get some crackers, too ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

yukon cornelius

you need wooden stools on a wood floor in your wood framed house in the woods. very nice! did you make the bowl, plate and spoon?
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

21incher

Great looking top. Cherry is my favorite wood. It ages to a beautiful red color. Did you use the oil base or water base poly?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dodgy Loner

It's oil-based poly, which is why the finish took so long.

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: yukon cornelius on February 24, 2014, 05:25:03 PM
you need wooden stools on a wood floor in your wood framed house in the woods. very nice! did you make the bowl, plate and spoon?

The stools are indeed wood, albeit painted. I am not opposed to a little paint on wood if the situation calls for it. These stools had a ugly walnut stain and were basically screaming for paint :D. I wove the seats out of sisal baling twine.

I did make the spoon (plum), the bowl (yellowwood), and the plate (pecan) and I eat with them regularly. I love wood :)

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

mmartone

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Bill Gaiche

Very nice. I agree on the poly. I just finished a friends project with semi gloss and it had to dry for more than 24hrs before I could put on another. bg

justallan1

Very nice work. That walnut banding adds a lot to it.

Allan

Lud

Quality all the way.  Nicely done. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Magicman

Ok since I sawed it, I absolutely approve of the project. :)

It is nice to see the finished product from your labors.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Magicman on February 25, 2014, 02:09:44 PM
Ok since I sawed it, I absolutely approve of the project. :)

It is nice to see the finished product from your labors.   ;D

I remember that tree very well. The butt log we cut into 4x8s. My intention was to make use them to make a four-poster bed. Second log was cut into 8/4, which is where I got my coutertop from. And the third was was cut into 4/4 lumber. I still haven't used most of that.

This is as good a place as any to show what happened to the butt log. My wife wanted her new bed before the 16/4 cherry was dry, so I ended up using white oak instead. But I had a friend in New Jersey who needed some special lumber to build a chuppah for his daughter's wedding. So I ended up shipping him two very large packages.

This is what he received from me:

After some planing and finishing, he added some ebony bling:

Then he made some brackets and bases:

Here is the finished chuppah, disassembled:

And here it is in use:

I couldn't have been happier to see my wood be put to such a spectacular end use, and I'm happy to know that my countertop grew on the same stump in South Mississippi :)

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

JohnM

Mazel tov! ;) ;D  Nice work all around, DL.  Looking forward to desk build too.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Magicman

I gots to start charging more.  :o   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

As always, you done good.  I love cherry, but that should not come as a surprise  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LaneC

That is some very fine work. Looks great.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Thank You Sponsors!