iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why does it seem yard logs and those with metal/foreign objects

Started by CalebL, February 24, 2014, 02:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalebL

make the prettiest lumber?  In all the logs I have milled, 2 stick out (no pun intended) in my mind as making some really awesome looking lumber and both were yard logs and had metal in them.  One was a 42" 18' long Walnut and the other was a 32" 6' cherry short. 

Maybe it has to do with the metal or just the "love" it gets from their owners but yard logs make beautiful lumber. 

Sorry, I can't find a pic of the Walnut right now.  Here is the cherry....

2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Den-Den

I don't know the reason but noticed before I got a mill that yard trees are often better for wood turning.  I am sure they are not better for structural use (usually too short).
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

drobertson

the more you saw and see from the timber it will show that many logs have beautiful character.  Yard trees for the most part have been manicured, and I think affects the growth pattern. which produces such a beautiful product.  Metal, well, it's just part of the equation in regards to yard trees.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

21incher

That has got to be the most beautiful piece of cherry I have ever seen. I hope it stays flat while drying.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Sawdust Lover

I agree on the yard trees! Some of the prettiest lumber I have sawn came from a yard tree. And there usually free so that makes it even better.

bandmiller2

Yard trees grow without too much competition in better soil than woods trees. Also hardware is always driven in the best trees. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

cutterboy

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

bandmiller2

Why is it folks that post their land always pound nails in the best most perfect trees. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dovetails

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 25, 2014, 07:39:56 AM
Why is it folks that post their land always pound nails in the best most perfect trees. Frank C.

So someone with a chainsaw won't mess with them!
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Thank You Sponsors!