iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live and learn

Started by Bruce_A, February 24, 2014, 11:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce_A

It is what I try to do every day.  Recently I started looking for ways to cut down my belt size without cutting down on my portion size.  Won't work.  I cooked up an eye of round as I would a rib roast (prime rib), than sliced it very thin,(think french dip)OH MY!!!  This turned out excellent.  Thought about trying with pork, but all I had was a 15 pound pork butt.  In for a penny, in for a pound.  Good lesson coming up.  There is too much fat in pork, you need a deeper pan by twice than you need for beef.  And not quite as long under the high heat.  There was no fat left in the pork when finished, it was all in and around the oven, out the bottom of the door and thank goodness for the drawer under the oven.  Used so much energy cleaning up afterwards that  I almost didn't try this very wonderful finished product.  As good or better than the beef cooked the same way.  Next time I only use 6 minutes per pound instead of 7 under the high heat and a much much leaner cut.

Raider Bill

Glad you didn't get a grease fire!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

pappy19

For all pork roasts including butts and shoulders, use an "oven" Dutch Oven (they don't have legs), a trivet in the bottom, rub with whatever and pour a can of 7-Up in the bottom. Cook at 300 for 3-4 hours. Falls off the bone. Chop it for Carnitas or BBQ, whatever. It's the best, most moist and tender you can cook, IMHO.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

m wood

7-up ??  I gotta try that one. thanks pappy19.  Bruce, you may have burned some calories during the cleaup chore ::).  Just sayin ;D
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB