iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bluebird Boxes

Started by 21incher, February 23, 2014, 11:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Yesterday I saw my first bluebird of the season so this morning I decided to make some new nest boxes for them. I have some old boxes in my yard, but last year all the bluebirds disappeared in one night with only a couple of feathers left on the ground. I talked with the NY bluebird association at empire farm days last summer and was told my old boxes did not have enough roof overhang and the coons have gotten smart and just sit on the roof then reach inside and make the birds a snack. So armed with some info from them the new houses have the recommended roof overhang and will be mounted 6 ft off the ground on greased metal poles. I wish I had some cedar but ash was all I have and the boxes are made of that. The roofs are easily removable and will be replaced with cedar as soon as I find some.

I hope everyone on here adds some nesting boxes to their property for our feathered friends.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

I have over 20. I put a birdhouse by a rock in the field. That way I don't have to mow around a birdhouse too. I put a piece of corrugated plastic to cover the wood on the roof. Just a little over hang all the way around. Bluebirds have to wait for the snow to go here. Mine don't look as good as yours. I use plywood,that way the houses won't split. But the birds don't mind on the pretty part.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

yukon cornelius

I like the houses! I have a question though. what are the cuts on the inside of the front panel for? functional or just in the lumber you were using? they look real nice!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

WDH

Quote from: thecfarm on February 23, 2014, 12:01:27 PM
But the birds don't mind on the pretty part.

Some birds might be picky.  Like you Northern Non-Grits Eaters. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Shotgun

Quote from: yukon cornelius on February 23, 2014, 12:02:52 PM
I like the houses! I have a question though. what are the cuts on the inside of the front panel for? functional or just in the lumber you were using? they look real nice!

To facilitate the young birds in leaving the nest when they're ready to take flight.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

yukon cornelius

that makes sense. I have never done that on any of mine but I think I will add that to the next ones. thanks!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

thecfarm

On the marks to help the little ones get out,I just take the claw of my hammer and hit it a bunch of times.
WDH,If I was a bird,and I was as fussy as I am with what I eat,I would not be building many nests at The C Farm.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I made one last summer and dad bought one additional one. Mine was better he said.

It was a bit funny. Mom said a neighbor was telling her they have 'blue birds'. Mom went to visit, and the 'blue birds' were tree swallows. :D But anyway, we have seen actual blue birds at mom's, but they have not used the nest boxes yet. I have never seen any around my place, but they uses to see them 70 miles north of here in the park. So they are here, just in small numbers. And real fussy like grits eaters. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

For more info on bluebirds check out the NY Bluebird Society  http://www.nysbs.org/ go to the handouts page and they have plans and info.
Quote from: yukon cornelius on February 23, 2014, 12:02:52 PM
They specify that there should be 6 cuts 1/8" deep, The first one 1" below the 1 1/2" hole and the rest on 3/8" centers to help the young get out as the nest is below the hole.
Quote from: WDH on February 23, 2014, 12:12:20 PM
Quote from: thecfarm on February 23, 2014, 12:01:27 PM
But the birds don't mind on the pretty part.

Some birds might be picky.  Like you Northern Non-Grits Eaters. 

I never had a grit in my life and don't plan to. When I was young my momma told me ground corn was for fattening livestock up. We use our grits to make bacon a much tastier treat.
Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 23, 2014, 04:50:51 PM
I made one last summer and dad bought one additional one. Mine was better he said.

It was a bit funny. Mom said a neighbor was telling her they have 'blue birds'. Mom went to visit, and the 'blue birds' were tree swallows. :D But anyway, we have seen actual blue birds at mom's, but they have not used the nest boxes yet. I have never seen any around my place, but they uses to see them 70 miles north of here in the park. So they are here, just in small numbers. And real fussy like grits eaters. :D :D
Swallows aren't a bad bird to have around. They eat a ton of mosquitos.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I wish I had a nickel for very birdhouse I have ever built.  :D

Around here squirrels are bad to chew the hole in birdhouses. I used to install a metal washer with a 1-1/4" hole  on each house. DanG Squirrels learned fast the washer would chip their teeth.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, but tree swallows don't colonize like bank swallows and martins. All we have ever had in the yard was one family at a time. They are single family oriented. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Good thing you have no beavers, because their teeth keep growing, faster than your finger nails. And they can attack and leave a good bite mark on your leg if you should get too smart with them washers. :D

thecfarm

Tree sallows also drove the Bluebirds away here. The bluebirds won't put a fight up and just move on. I'm lucky to get 2 pair of bluebirds. More times it's only one pair.

clww

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 23, 2014, 07:01:43 PM

Around here squirrels are bad to chew the hole in birdhouses. I used to install a metal washer with a 1-1/4" hole  on each house. DanG Squirrels learned fast the washer would chip their teeth.  ;D
The squirrels around here do the same thing. I'll try your flat washer trick. I've got a few I made out of hollow trees that the squirrels have chewed a hole in big enough for a pelican nest! :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Shotgun

Quote from: thecfarm on February 23, 2014, 07:08:03 PM
Tree sallows also drove the Bluebirds away here. The bluebirds won't put a fight up and just move on. I'm lucky to get 2 pair of bluebirds. More times it's only one pair.

The solution for this is to put up two boxes, but about  50 feet apart or more.  The bluebirds will use one, and the tree swallows will use the other. No problems then.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

We have invasive sparrows here that won't leave either alone. They are master nest robbers.

thecfarm

Shotgun,I guess you need to come here and tell that to the sparrows.  :( 
I have over 20,some kinda spaced as you say,just because of the rocks are spaced that way.

21incher

Quote from: Shotgun on February 23, 2014, 07:14:42 PM
Quote from: thecfarm on February 23, 2014, 07:08:03 PM

The solution for this is to put up two boxes, but about  50 feet apart or more.  The bluebirds will use one, and the tree swallows will use the other. No problems then.
They recommend you put the 2 boxes no more then 6 ft apart and the bluebirds and sparrows will coexist. For multiple bluebirds you must keep the boxes a min of 100 feet apart or you will only wind up with 1 pair of bluebirds.

Chuck White

We have a bird house on every-other post on our fence!

Some of them get occupied by Bluebirds and some by Tree Swallows!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Too bad there is no nest box for nighthawks, they nest on the ground so I guess that is out. I only see them occasionally flying way up high here at home, but out in the deep forest they are more common and I have seen them on the ground during nesting time.

ET

I also have maybe 20 boxes out now for about 18 years. Some boxes are nested every year by BB's. Also have the tree swallows; their mating ritual is awesome, they fly in circles  vertically for a long time, its mesmerizing just to watch. Also I believe the boxes need to be oriented toward the southeast if I remember. Maybe someone may know the correct direction. When deer hunting Ive seen flocks of 25 flitting all around my stand, love it.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

london

Nice looking birdhouse high class wood too  8)

21incher

Looks like the first pair of blue birds started building a nest in one of the boxes. The last 3 days they would go to each of the 4 boxes stick their heads in then fly to the next box and check it out. Today they selected one and are building a nest,

SwampDonkey

Nice!  :)

We still have snow and frost here, no swallows yet.

Thank You Sponsors!