iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening

Started by Fla._Deadheader, June 12, 2004, 02:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Quite a while back, there was talk of someone having a manual or pamphlet showing or explaining how to sharpen the old crosscut saws. It was supposed to be posted. We use a 4' crosscut and I would sure like to be able to cut a 4" or larger limb, in less than 400 strokes ??? ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

D._Frederick

Fla.-,

Its not rocket science to sharpen a cross-cut saw, if any one could do it, it would be you!

I I remember correctly, the step you need to go thru are:

Make a saw holder out of a 1 1/2 board cut to the saw profile and clamp the saw to it.

Check the teeth height, make all beveled teeth the same (level  them by filing the tops)

File the teeth to a point taking same amount off each tooth. (file at about 45 degree angle, make sure the points are razor sharp)

Set the teeth with a hammer and an anvil ( hold the anvil against out side of the tooth and hit with a hammer. bend tooth about 1/4+ from point. check set with a "spider". Set should be about 0.02- 0.03.

File raker teeth, (they may need to be swaged)
set raker teeth with hammer, they should be below the beveled teeth. try 0.025 to start.

These figures should get you started, try sawing your wood and fine tune from there. This should get you going until you can get better figures for your woods.

Tom

.......or.......

build a pyramid and place the saw right in the center of it.

after a period of time.(? ? ?)   it will be sharp.

Put it back when you're done and it will stay sharp.

It's gotta be true, I heard it on the TV. :P

If it don't work, it ain't my fault. :D :D

Don't let it get too sharp or you won't be able to lay it down.  It'll fall right through whatever you lay it on. :D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks guys. I DID sharpen it when I got it. It tends to bind in the cut a little. I was hesitant to bend anything.

I tried to print the file, and now, the stoopid computer can't find Adobe Reader. It's right on the desktop.  ::) ::) ::)

Ennyhoo, the rakers are the little 'V" shaped teeth, right??? They rake out the chips. The beveled teeth are sharpened on one side of each (opposing) tooth, right ???  I got the thing to saw without catching, so, the height of the teeth should be fine. It pushes and pulls smoothly. Just wasn't sure of the "set".  Thanks

PS, when using it underwater, the water cools it well, even though it does bind a bit ::) ::) ;D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D

Tom: Your a case  :D :D :D

But, that's how I felt too :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Adobe reader has to be installed Harold. Could it be you downloaded the program to the desktop but never installed it?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Nope. It WAS installed. My puter Guru will fix it. ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

The first page when the site loads gives you the choice of PDF or HTML

Pick the HTML one and see if you can view it that way.  You will have to advance the pages by clicking on the "next page" or something like that when the book loads.

Fla._Deadheader

I can view the html.  I just went to desktop and clicked the Adobe Reader icon. The program opened up and accessed the internet. Just won't energize from the forum link ???

Ah well, I just printed it out. The saw is in Georgetown anyway. ;) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

D._Frederick

D. H.

You is right on Post number 4. If your rakers are set too low, the saw will catch on the push stroke. If your sawing under water, I guess there wouldn't be any pitch, but rub the blade with pariffin to make it slide easier

Fla._Deadheader

After reading the manual from the link, I'm not too sure the saw was ever set up. There are some things mentioned that are definitely not the way the saw is. NOW I understand how to set it up. Hope Ed has some strong arms.  ;) :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Furby

So, are ya going to take on the monument ??? ??? ???

Fla._Deadheader

We should get the new beams bolted on this week, and go do some pullin on the Monument. If we can't shake it loose, MIGHT try the saw. In 12 feet of dirty water, it's hard work. ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!