iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Twisted Cherry - would you saw it?

Started by locustoak, February 22, 2014, 06:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustoak

I have a nice 24" black cherry that I will be turning into lumber this spring.  However, about 10 feet of the butt log shows twist, just by looking at the bark. Its not extreme, but it is noticeable.
My question for you all is would you saw it into lumber, or turn it into firewood? 

I hate trying to mess with twisted hardwood lumber, so my inclination is to turn the butt log into firewood.  However, I thought I'd get opinions on here before doing so, since I hate to "waste" a 24" cherry log.
If I did decide to saw it, is there a sure way to keep the lumber from twisting while drying?  Or any other tricks to consider?

Ludo

I cut a lot of crazy cherry that is twisted, bowed, etc. I usually just slab it as wide as I can in 8 quarters.  I sell it for benches, tables, etc.  I do very well with it. From my experience, cherry does not react much if it is dried properly. Also, seal then ends well, it does like to check from the ends! Good Luck!

mesquite buckeye

Twisted trees usually produce twisted lumber upon drying. If you cut it a bit thick and not too wide, you may get usable lumber instead of cutting boards. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

macpower

I have never ruined a piece of firewood buy sawing it first. On the other hand, I've turned a few saw logs into firewood without thinking!
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Bandmill Bandit

Don't think I have ever seen a log of any type that doesn't show some twist. Has any one ever seen one the doesn't?  Once the bark is off they all show a bit of twist. At least any thing I have ever cut does.

Also the few timber bound ones I have run into don't seem to be affected by the twist much. More by lineal stress I find. But then I am still an amateur compared to a lot of guys here on the forum.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Kingcha

Well I can't answer your ? about it being twisted but before cutting it into firewood check to see if you have any wood-fired pizza ovens around.  They might want to buy it.   Black cherry is great in wood fired brick ovens.   

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Left Coast Chris

I was letting a small redwood yard log that was crooked and badly twisted lay around thinking it was no good.  Some neighbors wanted a demo of my mill so I threw it on and cut 8/4 bench slabs out of it.  The wood ended up having a wavy figure and is eye popping.  Wish I had some more twisted redwood now.  :)     With that said I would not use it for anything structural.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

drobertson

I've sawn twisted cherry,  and it needs to be handled with care.  Once the slabs are off, see how the lumber is reacting once the cant is ready.  Leaving oversize is a good option, even edge  trimming (1/4") or so a time or two before stacking.  Most of the time the majority of stress can be removed before drying.  I will say it is worth sawing,(into lumber).  use the limbs if available for the smoker.  As with any wood and furniture grade lumber, there will be waste, just saw it with the expectation of some waste,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Many of the Cherry trees that I saw are twisted.  It generally will sticker flat.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

If you quartersaw it, that will minimize any twist issues. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Seaman

8/4 slabs would be more valuable than firewood or boards, especially if the show figure. We sold to 6/4  18x70 in cherry pieces yesterday for $75 each. I LOVE cherry.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

scully

Quarter saw it ! Heck yeah ! Or flitch it ! The important thing is that you saw that log ! I don't see how you could not get something real nice out of it !
I bleed orange  .

locustoak

Twist is mostly on the base of the tree, but it goes up about 6-8 feet just by looking at the bark.  The rest of the tree looks straight.

kderby

Cherry does not grow here so I can ask a dumb question.....Which one is the cherry?

I see a tree with a crook on the left.  I like that one because it has character!  I buy my logs from loggers.  I ask for saw logs that are straight and have good lumber recovery.  When I do get a funky log like the one in the picture I slab it for a bench and emphasize the character. 

You might only get two or three slabs.  I find two inch is selected more than three inch.  Three inch gives you wiggle room and more heft.  I also find that if people are going to buy lumber with one live edge they want both live edges.  So I suggest that you level the pith and slice, sticker and let dry.  You are more likely to under-charge for the result than over-charge. (that was a hint to set the price high) ;D  In My world (no cherry) character slabs like that are forty to sixty dollars each.  If you get a $120 out of the butt of that tree you are doing just fine!

Kderby

shelbycharger400

Seems id use that as is , in 2 in thick bench stock with the natural curve in it ,  or if I want 1 by stock,  id cut it at the knee, then slab it.

shelbycharger400

I just noticed, is that a stream thier?  The dnr will be very unhappy people cutting trees by streams/ rivers.

mesquite buckeye

That is sad for them. I recommend not telling them. ;D I don't suppose a tree ever fell into a stream before people started cutting them down.

If you want to go for slabs, I would bookmatch them in pairs. More better. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

locustoak

locustoak

Quote from: kderby on February 23, 2014, 12:39:52 PM
Cherry does not grow here so I can ask a dumb question.....Which one is the cherry?

I see a tree with a crook on the left.  I like that one because it has character!  I buy my logs from loggers.  I ask for saw logs that are straight and have good lumber recovery.  When I do get a funky log like the one in the picture I slab it for a bench and emphasize the character. 

Kderby
It is indeed the one with the crook, the cherry has black bark.  When you slab the crooked log, do you slab it with the crook from side to side so the slabs look like "<" or so they are straight?

Magicman

I see the twist but I do not see anything alarming or that should keep you from sawing it.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

locustoak

ok, thanks for the advice guys.  I have decided to have the butt log sawn.  Now the question is whether or slab it (flitch cut), or make 1x material.  I'm leaning toward slabbing it at this point.

Magicman

I have had many customers to ask if I wanted them to knock a bad looking end off of a log, etc.  I always discourage doing that because you never know what is under the bark.  Many times we uncover something very special.

Saw it.  If it does not turn out something nice, you can always firewood it later. 

mesquite buckeye

We usually cut all our crooked stuff at or near the crook. Way less slabbing waste that way. ;D

Magicman

Right.  Each log makes it's own rules which is why it is impossible to ever say "always". 

shelbycharger400

cut it so it looks like a banana layin on its side. Its probably going to curl more in the rough shape of a c than to twist and warp. Ive done some pines like this in the past, but it was the center 4-5 inches, split the pith or cut the pith at a 1 in and toss it,  out of a 10 in dia log.   Curved benches are nice.

Thank You Sponsors!