iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How about this plant?

Started by Mark M, June 11, 2004, 09:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

Found it wet areas especially near beaver ponds. It is a natural treatment for poision ivy.

SwampDonkey

Jewel weed or spotted touch-me-knot, same thing. Hard to tell by the photo Mark. looks like a woody shrubs. But, this plant is in the succulent nightshade family. It works to sooth stinging nettles also, and I usually find the two together, which is nice. When the seeds are ripe, you touch the pod and the pod explodes firing the seed out. It has a hair-like trigger that is sensitive to touch.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mark M

Yep - they are a lot of fun, especially to children who have never seen them.

Tom

How big do they get in ND, Mark.  You been sawin'em. :D

I wonder if they grow around here.  Sounds like a neat toy.  
We have some plants that are neat toys too.   A grass that the seed pod is used for a Wooly caterpillar.  You can squeeze it in your fist and it'll crawl right out. ;D

Sensitive Mimosa.  Touch it and the leaves close up. :D

Honey Dew, pitcher plants and venus flytraps that catch insects and eat them   Ar-r-r-rgh-h-h-.   :D

SwampDonkey

Sensitive plants and fly traps are really cool  8) We don't have those up this way, only in books. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mark M

Hi Tom

I've never seen one here in ND and don't if they even grow here, maybe in the east where it isn't so dry.

What's fun with that plant is when they get really ripe. You can start a chain reaction by setting one off. It's seed will fly and trigger a bunch more and they trigger more and more.

I like those Mimosa plants, I think it is pretty neat that plants move. Up here the young sunflowers follow the sun. In the morning they are all facing east waiting for the sun to come up. It's pretty hard to drive by a big field of sunflowers and not smile.

SwampDonkey

If you have any pine, you can observe the young candle shaped shoots tract the sun also. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!