iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber framing workshop in NC- any interest?

Started by Jim_Rogers, February 21, 2014, 10:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

A forestry forum member scsmith42 (Scott Smith) of New Hill, NC has emailed me that his wife needs a tack room addition.

He is willing to host a workshop at his place in New Hill, NC, which is just south west of Raleigh, NC. If we have enough people interested in learning "how to timber frame" we'll set something up.

No dates set as we wanted to see if there was enough interest in learning timber framing in his area. Dates are July 14th to the 18th, 2014.

This would be a 5 day workshop which could include a weekend to reduce the number of days to take off of normal work. Cost would be $100 per day and you don't have to take all five days, but the most exposure you can get would be the full workshop.

I'd like to travel to Scott's and help him out.

Would you like to be added to the list?

Jim Rogers

PS. The frame would be a modified 12x16' frame out of southern yellow pine. And the class would be limited to 8 students, not including Scott.

PPS. Edited to remove some wrong stuff.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Stephen1

Hi Jim and Scott, I have an interest. I am just not to sure on my availability, but will see what everyone comes up with.
Cheers
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

MattJ

I would be interested if the dates worked out.  That would be really cool.

submarinesailor

Jim and Scott,

If the date for this is after the 30th of June, plan on me being there for all 5 days.

Bruce

dustyjay

Early July dates would make me really interested and likely to attend.
Proper prior planning prevents pith poor performance

mrector

Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

MattJ

The only dates that wouldn't work for me in that range would be July 5-11.  As a disclaimer to those that asked for the summer and aren't living in NC be prepared for it to also be a weight loss clinic! 

scsmith42

How about the week of July 13? Class would be the 14th thru the 18th.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jim_Rogers

Starting on the 14th works for me.

Anyone interested in attending needs to send me an email via the regular email system so I can get your correct email address.

A commitment to the workshop will mean making a deposit to reserve your spot. Normal deposit are $100 with balance due the first day at registration.

You can contact me by email at jrsawmill (at) verizon (dot) net

Jim Rogers

scsmith42

Quote from: MattJ on March 04, 2014, 07:41:19 AM
The only dates that wouldn't work for me in that range would be July 5-11.  As a disclaimer to those that asked for the summer and aren't living in NC be prepared for it to also be a weight loss clinic!

Hopefully we can do some of the work in the air conditioned shop!

mrector

Is there going to be any lodging available,  or motels or should I bring a tent and some mosquito nets? Haha
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

scsmith42

We don't have lodging on the farm, but we do have some sites suitable for a camper and you're welcome to set up a tent.  I have a shower in the shop too.  Hotels are available in Apex, NC about 15 minutes from the farm.

Amelia Farms

Woodmizer LT40, wish it was hydraulic.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Amelia Farms on March 04, 2014, 06:01:20 PM
Very interested depending on dates.

Dates are July 14 to July 18th, 2014 Monday through Friday.

I'll be arriving Sunday night.

Jim Rogers

MattJ

I'm really looking forward to this event.  I imagine we'll be using timbers milled by Scott and I look forward to learning the basics and then practicing back at home on milled and hewed timbers.  I watched the boat builders using broad axes when I was in Denmark at the viking museum in Roskilde and it was fascinating.  This learning experience, seeing it in Denmark and the great forum experience with Autine have inspired me to invest in a broad axe from him.  Placed my order this week.  Probably won't be ready to bring to the class in July but should be ready by the time fall rolls around.  I ordered one of his double bevel versions after trying the ones out in Denmark and seeing how they ride the bevel against the wood.  I can't wait to try it out. 

For reference here are a few they used in Roskilde and some other pictures I posted a while back.

MattJ

Also Scott, that is quartersawn white oak!

scsmith42

MattJ

Should have stuck something in for scale but those "pie slices" are each about 18" wide.  I had a hard time imagining how they were cut.  They were not split, and it was clear from the blade marks they were bandsawed.  I asked the Danes and nobody had an idea how they were cut.  Somebody else picked up the logs and did it offsite and returned them that way according to the guy hewing the logs.

Sorry, I have wandered from the topic of the post!

jrouth

If there's room, I'd be interested.  Will have to check and see if I can get off on those dates.   Warning:  There can't be any greener greenhorn than me.   But I'm local enough that I can drive it.

Thanks,

Jim_Rogers

jrouth:
There is plenty of room for you.
Send me an email after you figure your time/dates.
Jim Rogers

Stephen1

Hi guys , I do have an interest. I am going to see if I can make it work. Would be a great spot.
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Jim_Rogers

I have four registered students. But there is still room for more.

Jim Rogers

scsmith42

Jim, expect a call from a fellow in Graham, NC...

Jim_Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!