iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ticks Lyme and a huge thanks

Started by stoneeaglefarm, February 21, 2014, 10:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoneeaglefarm

To all who have helped out in the past with my questions regarding lyme, and machines a huge thank you, I have gotten back to work half days and pulling some nice oak and hard maple, Had a half truck load last week of venneer wood and we all know how good that feels. In all my chatting with over 20 loggers from here to Kentucky dealing with Lyme I have found out that fighting it with excersise is as important as anything, Us choppers and cable pullers, and part time farmers get plenty of a work out, But, In talking with a number of guys that stopped at least doing something to keep body fit that they suffered real hard, Its a nasty painful situation and nothing is worst than to be out of the woods, So, Keep a eye on the ticks and find a good doctor, and get on some natural remedies, No preaching here just hoping to help out, Just moved skidder on to a little oak lot, Some nice wood, short pulls, and only 300 yards from the house, Those fighting lyme, Recover at a slow pace and after a while you will be feeling decent again. Missed the skidder and saw like family.

mills

Cogratulations!
Hope your health keeps improving.

SliverPicker

Keep plugging.  Your health will come back to 100% eventually.  Good on ya!
Yooper by trade.

thecfarm

That is a good outlook to have. Sounds like you are on the mend.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

1woodguy

Glad your doing better, twice in the past they checked me for it
Had target shaped looking bites both times(bullseye)

Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

coxy

awesome hope you are getting better   please let me know some of the things you  had as in pain  stiffness and so on my 17 year old got tested pos for it   hope every one that has it beets it  8) paul

tlandrum

ive had lymes for going on 5 yrs now. im out of the woods for good because of it.it basically shut me down. I have lymes arthritis and feel as if I have the flue all the time. I absolutely can not stand the heat anymore. which is bad because ive broken so many bones loggin,fighting and racing that I sure cant stand the cold either. I have to take a pill for the joint inflammation 3 times a day. my stamina is gone. I used to run up and down these mountains like a billy goat dropping topping ,whacking and stacking. I could cut for two skidders and keep them hopping with no sweat. now I wake up and am in a haze and feel like I should be going to bed instead of work. the only thing I had going for me was the side business of building woods ported saws for loggers and such and building race saws. now I am a full time shop. I am a now a dealer for many saw lines and all types of lawn and garden equipment. I fell lucky to have what I have after what the lymes took from me. I sold out my logging equipment to fund my saw shop. if this doesn't pan out I don't know what ill do next to pay the bills.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

HiTech

Not sure where all these ticks have come from but when I was a young guy you never heard of them, now they are like mosquitoes, all over. I know they use to spray for black flies and stuff here, maybe that killed the ticks also. They don't spray anymore and the ticks are all over. Maybe they should spray again. Don't know, just a thought. 

timberlinetree

Tick thing is getting/is bad! Not sure who invited these little buggers into our area but they were never around as a kid. Wife & daughter have it from just one bite! I have been bitten 9 times and nothing. Ct sprayed for mosquitos and ended up killing lots of lobersters in the sound. Rollovers sawcuts widow makers use to be my biggest fear not a tiny little bug! Just one more thing to make our jobs tuffer! Glad to hear that some are doing better and hoping that those that aren't do. Ticks tick me off!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

dsgsr

Ticks are surviving the warmer winters. Used to be the long -20 degree or below  winters would kill-em off.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

coxy

well there should not be any ticks this year then -20-40 in some spots   prob don't have them ticks there though  ;D

John Mc

tlandrum - I've had the same symptoms as you, for 5 years or more.  I tested negative for Lymes.  The doctors never have figured out what is causing the fatigue.  It hasn't driven me out of the woods yet, but I don't have the energy for it as much as I did a few years ago.  On a good day, I can get a lot done.  On the worst days, I have a tough time remembering what I was talking about at the start of a sentence by the time I get to the end.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Fla._Deadheader

You long term guys should get a blood test for Tularemia, or, Rabbit fever.  I had it twice, in Arkansas. Massive doses of Antibiotics, cured me to where I could do a decent days work in 4 months. Went to an old Army Dr. that new just looking at me, what was wrong. I ran a 106° fever for 5 days before it broke. Can't remember any more what the antibiotics were, but, I had a total of 26 shots, in everyday (7) for 2 weeks, then every other day for 2 weeks, then 2 times a week for 2 weeks, then 1 time a week for 2 weeks. This included Sundays in the first 2 weeks. Seems like Terramycin was the shots at 1 GRAM per shot. YUP, a BIG dose. Then, the capsules were Acramycin at 2 every 6 hours. I hope I got those amounts right. Dr said, when your lips start tingling, let me know. That means you are at maximum amount. Never got that effect.

Second time was 2 years later. The old Dr. had died, so, went to a younger one. He had NO IDEA, but, prescribed some pills and wanted me to come back in 2 weeks. I jumped has butt, told him what I had and had him give me the shots and a prescription for the capsules. 2 months and I was as good as before I got bit. During the healing, it looked like I had Malaria. I would be in a full sweat and shaking to where I could empty a coffee mug with just a half inch of water in it, without drinking any of it.

The younger Drs don't know what it is. The old Army Dr had treated it in experimental mode, having no idea what it was. He used a blood sample from that cured woman, to check on new patients, is how he developed his treatments.

It's commonly called "Tick Fever, in the Ozarks.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

trim4u2nv

Fatigue, memory loss, brittle fingernails, shortening of eyebrows near the temple, joint pain, can be signs of hypothyroidism also.  Easy to test and treat.

John Mc

Had thyroid tests done (and diabetes, anemia, and a few other things I don't remember now). All came back normal, though I was toward the low end of normal for anemia (I've been that way my whole life).  They had me take iron supplements for a while that brought my numbers up, but made no difference otherwise.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

stoneeaglefarm

One should always get a secound or third opinion on the lymses, One of the guys that encourgarged me to get tested had been to several doctors, There is a place that alot of doctors will send test to in California, Its just over the last few years become a huge problem, Yet, There is not alot of doctors still that dig a little deeper, Get another test from a doctor that is familiar with it, The Anti-biotics really work wonders.

borecutter

good to hear your doing better. From my understanding of Lymes is the sooner you catch it the better. I have a good friend who has been fighting for years. His forester actually lost his life from it. I use permathin " by sawyer" on my clothing and I never see a tick on me anymore. I went to bear camp a few years ago and had it on and didn't get one on me but the rest of the guys where covered.

Thank You Sponsors!