iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too bad it was a shell

Started by CCC4, February 21, 2014, 12:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Video from today. The tree butted off at 8ft...cutting with 660 wearing a 20"

Thanks for viewing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQfCUegWbVU&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_NjqCPS3PCA_PGz4NCZuLA

timberlinetree

I'm jealous. No snow above the knees! Nice video thanks for posting.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

treeslayer2003

I like that you cut them vines off first. so it cleaned up after 8 foot?

Texas Ranger

years ago we were cutting a 30" something up around Puxico, Missouri, with an old misery whip.  cut the wedge and it came out like a watermelon rind.  We discussed it for a while, and while discussing it, heard cracking coming from the stem.  We backed off and watched it fall, the stem had maybe a 2 inch sold wood around the stem.  We were not impressed.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

jwilly3879

s grinder

Believe it or not ,if your in the right area their's a market for hollowed out butts.When i'm grinding stumps i'll take an 8" to 10"piece out of the butt if's clean without dirt,sell it to a couple of local landscapers,they place them in flower gardens,put flowers in them, mulch around them ,they look great.Ones mans trash is another mans treasure.Looks like you could get a few good chunks out of it.What was the hollowed diameter?

riverlogger

WOW CCC4 you got some big ones!!!!!!! That looked a little too windy for my taste. Hats off to you.

jmouton

had the same thing happen to me cutting a 4 ft black walnut down  , only about 6 inches of good wood around the outside  and some baby squirrels and racoons  living inside,  not a good day

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

danabg

I like your winters a lot better than ours!

mesquite buckeye

We had a good sized cottonwood, 25-30" that was getting undercut by a primary draw channel, so we decided to take it down before it fell down. Cut out the face cut standing on a ladder, wedge fell out. only about 1.5" thick with wood. Decided not to die that day. Walked and told everybody to keep away until it drops, which shouldn't take long. :o
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

RayMO

I run into a lot of big oak trees like the one in video. Often they have a saw scar from years ago where a previous logger bored in with bar and then walked away when they found them to be hollow . I cut some of them if it looks like they get better further up and some turn out great and some are firewood lol .
Biggest walnut tree, over 30" dbh on my current 200 acre job looked perfect and was near creek bank in bottom land but was hollow when I started cutting. It got perfectly solid 4 ft from butt so still a good big tree .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

mesquite buckeye

When we looked up the tree we could see the hollow went up like 40 feet to an old broken off trunk. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

davidlarson

CCC4 - thanks for an interesting video.  I agree with riverlogger about the wind, but it looked like you had things well under control.
David L.

CCC4

Let's see here...

1) Yep, we were crying with 10 inches of snow this year...knee high...ooosh!

2) Gotta cut those vines! LOL! Yeh I sorta learned that the hard way about 12 years ago cutting cedar! I failed to get all the green briars cut from the back side and when I fell it off a 5ft. embankment, They grabbed my back/neck/and head and drug me off the ledge while the tree was going with! VERY VERY VERY dumb and dangerous! Those green briars shredded my head...got a facefull that day!

3) Yep, I see those scars often. I was hoping she was sound, the piece had been running sound right in that area...earlier in a lower section I had been poking all the questionable trees. Most had been cleaning up around 2 foot off the butt.

4) Not sure on the diameter...I can check next time I see it.

5) HA! No man...just needed my pay day.

6) We did have one week of really cold (for us) weather where we hit -4* I think it was...that's bad for this far South! LOL!

Thanks guys!

Thank You Sponsors!