iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Job Pics, tough week deep snow.

Started by David-L, February 22, 2014, 06:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Was a tough week in the woods hand choppin but have some pics from the week. Note the blizzard one day, buy the time I got to the landing I could not grade the logs due to them being covered in snow. All and All a good week.Ttwo plus loads to ship.

David l

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

logman81

Looking good, I'm finally back to work with the new jack finishing up the job. Got to pull about forty or so cords and another load of grade logs. New skidder is working very good already broke a choker! LOL! Not much fun though dealing two feet plus of snow burns me out fast!
Precision Firewood & Logging

SliverPicker

Yooper by trade.

Dave Shepard

There are some nice sticks there, definite timber frame quality from the looks.

I've been driving in my skid trail this week. I know earlier in the week there was no way I was going to go through the woods, but once it warmed up, the snow packed down nice and had some traction. There are some deep pockets in the woods that drifted over. I guess that's why humans are forked in the middle, so you don't go all the way down. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Corley5

This winter suxs everywhere.  Good looking logs  8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

PAFaller

Im not a fan of the snow but I'll take it over mud, heat, black flies, deer flies, miskeeters, rattle snakes!! You guys up north get spoiled and dont have those things crawling around your oak stands in the summer time. And I find in comical to walk in to Dunkin Donuts, (thats one addiction from growing up in New England I'll never kick I guess) in a T-shirt when its a balmy 42 degrees and ordering iced coffee like its hot out. After so many below zero mornings the last couple days have been a heat wave. Cold again this week down here, and my roads are still pretty well set up so hopefully get 2 more good weeks of skidding before things break up too bad. I've got a honey-do list a mile long when the warm-up begins, but I'd rather cut wood!!
It ain't easy...

timberlinetree

I have been making highways and byways through through the woods by walking on felled trees.I'll drop a big on then walk up the tree limb/chop top. Walk back down the tree to a sapping drop that and take that sapling to another sapling or big one.It's a lot faster and easyer. I need those spikey things that go on the bottom of my boots like out west. :D
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

HiTech

This last week our skidders are finally going without spinning/chattering. We got more wood out than we did all winter. The snow has really dropped. Still hard walking but getting a little better.

David-L

Next week should be really good as the Polar Vortex will be freezing things up good. getting two loads worked up should be easy next week. Really hoping for twice that with the cold conditions and settled snow. And yes we used some clevys this week as the skidder was really working. Logman81, hows your Jack running now.

David l

logman81

It's running very good, everything is working good. I'm officially a jack fan now! Just wish their wasn't so much snow!
Precision Firewood & Logging

Autocar

Nice looking job I always enjoyed working in falling snow but this winter it has gotten to deep for me to wade it all day with a saw.
Bill

lumberjack48

My S8 IH could walk though 4 feet of snow, with no duck walking or chattering. And with out chains, i had all four tires loaded with fluid. My C5-D with bear paws was a job to work with until you got a good trail made. When cutting in deep snow i didn't limb nothing in the woods. I fell my trees in to standing timber, help hook, skidder operator pulls head while winching the trees up. When the drags winched up, pull ahead a little more, then back the drag into the standing trees knocking limbs off and the snow away from the stumps on the standing trees, making it easier to fall the next drag. While the skidder operator was doing this i walked up to a place we'd set up for topping. The skidder operator might back up 3 to 4 times, then pull up to where i'm waited to clean up what limbs are left and top the trees. When done, i'd go back and fall another drag, wait for skidder, help hook and ect. Nobody works hard logging like this, let the equipment do the work. At the end of the day i could still do a horizontal flag pole ;D
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

CCC4

Nice pics! Thanx for sharing....oosh I'd hate to be in that snow! We hit near 75* just the other day! LOL!...going back down to the 20's this week though...it got warm enough that I'm ruined! LOL!

Maine logger88

Nice looking wood David! we moved on to some pine this week I forgot how much I like cutting it! How are you liking the dolmar I have been tempted to try one but the nearest dealer is an hour away
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

David-L

Lumberjack48 , I'll give that a try. I do not like shoveling but don't want to waste 20 or 30 bd/ft on some of the big butt logs. Maine logger, I have had some Dolmars before the first being an old school 6000 that was a nice saw. Then a 7300 then a 7900 ( orange top saws ). Now this 6400 was such a good deal and I figured when it got tired I would put a 80cc jug and piston to it as the base is the same. I paid $400 with two tanks of gas through it and in like new condition. It is a good handling saw and different than the Johnnys. All said we have a great Dolmar dealer and johnny dealer 12 miles away and both are good shops. have to admit it's been awhile since I chopped with a Dolmar and they do handle good, something about the top handle configuration feels good. It has a 20' on it and plenty of power. The 7900 I had was for a Oak job I did and then sold the saw to a buddy and he is still running it and it was a beast. Good saws IMO.

David l

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Maine logger88

Thanks for the info maybe when I get some time this spring I will go check them out. 400 bucks for a practically new saw is a super deal! Well keep up the good work and keep the pics coming!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

HiTech

Quote from: lumberjack48 on February 23, 2014, 04:10:18 PM
My S8 IH could walk though 4 feet of snow, with no duck walking or chattering. And with out chains, i had all four tires loaded with fluid. My C5-D with bear paws was a job to work with until you got a good trail made. When cutting in deep snow i didn't limb nothing in the woods. I fell my trees in to standing timber, help hook, skidder operator pulls head while winching the trees up. When the drags winched up, pull ahead a little more, then back the drag into the standing trees knocking limbs off and the snow away from the stumps on the standing trees, making it easier to fall the next drag. While the skidder operator was doing this i walked up to a place we'd set up for topping. The skidder operator might back up 3 to 4 times, then pull up to where i'm waited to clean up what limbs are left and top the trees. When done, i'd go back and fall another drag, wait for skidder, help hook and ect. Nobody works hard logging like this, let the equipment do the work. At the end of the day i could still do a horizontal flag pole ;D
It's not so much the fresh snow. It's the stuff that fell early in the winter and then most of it melted then it turned cold and crystalized. Then we got gobs of snow on top. That foot or foot and a half that crystalized is like sugar...you just can't get traction in it. Now that we got roads broke and it has thawed some, the going is a lot better. Still got waist deep snow in places.

Woodboogah

Good looking wood.  The snow is def. a production factor right now.  It's up past my knees even after the warm up.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Corley5

It's the sugary granular nasty stuff that flows back into machine tracks, is really hard to trudge through and doesn't freeze up real well.  That's what we're dealing with.  Glad we can deal with it from the machine seats but it's hard on them too.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!