iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

best sawmill for the price and needs? any light to shine on me?

Started by dustysc, February 20, 2014, 10:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustysc

im new to this site and am not very sure how to use it. Im sorry if im posting in the wrong place or if this has already been posted. but i plan to buy a sawmill later this year. i have done some research but still a little lost as to what i really need and what i dont need. My wants are a sawmill that can cut good sized trees (around 24in logs at least 14 feet long) something that i can do on the side and make enough money to pay for its payments. with that said i dont want something so small and slow or all manual. im thinking the lt10 might be to small. but not sure if i would be able to make the 400$ a month payments on something around the lt35 or timber king 1600. my friend has about 10 acres he wants to cut, but he only plans to do a little here and there, so i would be able to get some logs for free sometimes. my dad works for a logger so i could even go help them out for a load of logs sometimes. anyone ever sawed part time to pay for the mill and make your own lumber? i live around a lot of small farms(50-200 acres) so im thinking 4x4 post and 6x6 post might would do well. any info will be very much appreciated. thanks so much

Ianab

Have you looked at the EZ Boardwalk mills?

They have a reputation as "A lot of mill for your $$" and the model 40 handles your log size specs.

http://www.ezboardwalk.com/ecom-prodshow/40-ezboardwalk-sawmill.html

Heck even their "Junior" would with a track extension.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dgdrls

Welcome DustySC,

Nice to see a young fellow like yourself interested in milling.

I would suggest a used mill to start with.
As Ianab indicated, the EZ mills are dandy units.
As others have found and suggested get as big a mill as you can.

DGDrls

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

Hello dustysc, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

There are several FF members close to you that will give you an opportunity to watch their sawmill in operation.  Hands on with various sawmill will let you make a well based decision.   Do not overlook used sawmills.

Making $$ with a sawmill depends upon you and the sawing market.  It takes a while for you to develop sawing skills and also to get the word out to potential customers. 

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dukndog

Welcome to the Forestry Forum DustySC.

I would suggest going to some small mills around your area. Call several of the mill manufacturers for a list of close owners, then arrange a visit to see their mill operation.

Best of luck!

Rich Miller

P.S.!! HAH!! Brother Lynn beat me to it!!!
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

SquareG

I have quite a bit of farm experience.  Posts for ground contact would need to be treated, or hedge.  Even then most everybody here uses steel, for corners and all. 

And a grade mill without a drier and planer, who I know, has a hard time.

From a business management standpoint, you wouldn't want to bank on something you don't know.  That is, your market for pencil pushing should be known, wholesale pallet and ties for example.  If custom sawing or whatever happens to come along, that'd be a bonus.  Do you have open orders for posts or farm lumber?  Otherwise a 6X6, 10' is worth $10 for pallet as far as cash flow planning goes.

However, If you have an outside job, then maybe you don't need it to make it's payments, if you can make them otherwise.   Call it a hobby for now and cash flow doesn't matter. 

Is 24" big enough?  I've logged a dozen silly shade trees in the last week, 44" trimmed down.  I use a 24" bar and seldom reach all the way through at the butt, even if they're small. 

I've been broke before. That's no fun.  It doesn't necessarily matter if it can make the payments or not, but do you have the cash on hand to operate (buy logs), on top of cash for medical emergency or whatever, and the periferal equipment necessary to actually do it?

Long story short you have to push your own pencil.  A guy could "lose the house" buying the mill, or make a million.  I don't think we can tell you, especially for the retail market you're talking about.
shannon

dboyt

Dusty, welcome to the forum.  You mentioned not wanting a manual mill, but I recommend you take a good look at them anyway.  The best mill for the money isn't necessarily the cheapest mill.  Look for a good, solid frame and a headrig with enough metal in it to hold up to the abuse it will get (dropping a 24", 14' log on the mill will destroy a light frame).  I actually sold my hydraulic mill and got a Norwood manual mill about four years ago, and it has proven to be a very good move.  It is much simpler and cheaper to run.  I did add an electric winch to help load and turn the bigger logs, since I often cut 30"+ diameter oak.  It is a bit of a drive, but you're welcome to stop by if you're in my neck of the woods (southwest Missouri).  I never turn down free help!

Start by looking at the sawmill manufacturers that sponsor the Forum (listed to the left).  Any will send you info, and most have DVDs ad YouTube videos.  That way, when you visit a mill, you'll have a good idea what to look for.

Also consider support equipment, which will often cost more than the mill.  Chains saws, truck, trailer, loader, cant hooks.  Take stock of what you have and what you need, and look at the big picture.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

pineywoods

Dusty, there is no such thing as the "best" mill. If there was, that's what all of us would have.  ;D I'm with DBoyt, don't rule out manual mills, including used ones without first getting as much real world experience as possible. You are right in the midst of a whole bunch of sawdust junkies, visit wherever possible. Guarantee you will see things you never thought about.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

hunz

I would personally go with a Woodmizer lt28 if I was in your shoes. One thing I have noticed after going to a larger band mill manufacturer, is that small things that may seem incidental, are absolute life savers. The lt28 has manual controls to perform back breaking duties such as log turning and loading. I believe they have have power feeds as well(invaluable!). Iearned the hard way with a 24hp all manual mill that no amount of money will now keep me from not having power head controls.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

MAI

Welcome to the FF DustyC.  You came to the right place for information and suggestions. 

Nomad

Hi Dusty, and welcome.  There are lots of FF members within a stone's throw of you.  You ought to consider contacting some of them and picking their brains.  I'm betting most of 'em would be happy to help you out.  (Just backing up what MM said, really.)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

5quarter

Dusty...great to have you aboard. buy a mill like you would buy a TV. make sure you can afford it with what you currently make. Once you have the mill in hand, work it like your next meal depended on it. you'll be surprised at how quickly those payments will go away.

Cooks, WM, Timberking (et al) all make great machines. as others mentioned, look for used saws. You can order your dream machine after you make your first Million.  ;) ;D ;D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

scully

Welcome , I support the idea of a used mill simply because for the$ you may be able to get those x-tras that will make life so much easier ! However if you have a tractor or skid steer or anything that can support a mill ,a manual unit won't be bad at all . I have seen a bunch of LT 10 LT15 owners do some great things with those mills ! I have also seen a few refurbed lt40's sell for half of new cost and they cut just as they did when new . As stated bye others try and go see/ help a couple guys near you with mills for a day or two .You will pick up a bunch of valuable info in doing so ! I wish you all the best .
I bleed orange  .

barbender

Welcome Dusty! If I was in your shoes, I would be looking at a Woodmizer LT15. They are solidly built and can handle wood up around 24" I think. They are all manual, but you don't want to be jumping into the payment of a hydraulic mill with no market or anything. An LT15 can saw basically anything an LT40 hydraulic can, it just takes more work. Your young, you can handle it. In a year or two, if business is great, sell the LT15 for a minimal loss and buy a hydraulic mill. Norwood also makes a great mill in the LT15 class, I haven't seen others in person but I'm sure there are other quality mills. Member Poston40 is in SC I think, he does brisk business sawing Pine for barn siding. He could really use some competition, he has the market cornered and he's really putting the screws to folks :D
Too many irons in the fire

Road Runner

Dusty,  I'm about 2 hrs. from you and would be happy to let you offbear for me for a couple of weeks (or hours) to see what can be done with a manual mill and some support equipment.  A few years ago I was looking at buying a new LT15, but found a slightly used LT40 manual mill and bought it.  I'm sure that the 15 would have been fine for me, but I'm glad I went with the 40 for not much more $ because of the ability to handle somewhat larger logs.
PM me if you would like to come down and take a look and I'll get a few logs on the deck.   
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

Ocklawahaboy

DustySC,
I looked at mills for 10 years.  I said that when I could find one that I could pay for without having to make a dime, I would get it.  I found a used, running WoodMizer LT40 for 4K and that was the one.  I do some work for hire but not much.  Some jobs I do ok at and some I barely break even.  I would hate to be trying to do work to make the payments on a new mill, as I learn the price estimating and sawing end.  You enjoy things much better when you know that no one is going to come take them away from you. 

Also, you are right in the heart of one of my favorite parts of the country. I have lots of kin up there, although they are dying off rapidly.  I love the names of the towns.  Ninety-six, Honea Path, Ware Shoals, Due West and Level Land are some of my favorites. 

samandothers

dboyt

Since members are giving specific makes and models of mills, I'll throw in my 2 cents.  I have had a very good experience with my Norwood HD 36.  Very solid machine, and it will cut a 36" diameter log, if you get it on just right.  I like that I was able to buy it as a manual mill and can add hydrauics to it later.  Great people to deal with, too.  They're a sponsor of FF, and you can easily find their web site by clicking on their box on the left of the screen.  They can help you find some mills to visit.  Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

diesel pap

Lud

Welcome  A Board ,Dusty,

Most folks don't buy their first car brand new from a dealer,  right?  And a manual mill is a good place to learn the ropes.  Years seem like a long time to you now but to us old guys they go by in a blink. :o :o

You need some room for storage, some lifting/hauling equip. and you'll see from all the talk in here about sheds the value of having a roof over your set up.

Visit some nearby members, get some sawdust in your blood, and enjoy the ride.  Every log you open up is like Christmas morning! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

36 coupe

I bought a Thomas mill because its built 8 miles from me.I had done business with Dale Thomas for years.I saw for myself and friends.Most young fellows will blow 30 to 40k on a new pickup but will balk at spending 5k on a sawmill that would produce income.You dont need a hydraulic mill.My Thomas mill is manual and does fine.My problem is Im 76 years old, should have bought the mill sooner.Dale delivered the mill and showed me how to saw a small cherry log I had on hand.Ive sawed clapboards with it.It has an attachment that Dale included in the deal at no charge.Check the price of cedar clapboards in a lumber yard.

thecfarm

36 coupe,I have a Thomas too. Now to saw clapboard there is a dog on top by one of the chains on top. Just flip that each and every time,no attachment to put put now. I saw this up at the Woods Expo in Bangor. Will be there next year. It's in Vermont this year. Lots of sawmill being used and shown off. I had Jon come and set mine up for me. Lots of ΒΌ inch steel on mine. It's not going anyways.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

36 coupe

My 6013 has the cable lift on the head.The clapboard attachment works fine.The new model is different.Times are hard here so I saw for myself and my son.

thecfarm

I have the same mill as you,60 model,I got the 20hp Honda motor,extra track to saw 20 feet and the no flex track.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!