iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 020AVP Vintage

Started by brettl, February 19, 2014, 04:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettl

I don't have a way to take pictures at this time. The rear handle design is black with "Professional" molded in cursive, orange clutch and chain cover with AV cast into it, rest of the case is all metal and white in color. The man I got this from is the original owner and says he has cut several dozen pine trees, several trailer loads of hedge and says now it just warms up and dies. Judging by the lack of compression and what he's told me, the piston and/or cylinder may be worn out. I haven't got into it yet but in case it is indeed worn out I'm going to start looking for p&c now. My question is, if this is indeed the old 32cc version, does in share p&c design with any other saws and will any other p&c sizes bolt on? Thanks   

H 2 H

I have both the rear handle model and the top handle model; and I have interchanged parts on them

The top handled saw was made in 1972 and the rear handle model is 1982 (I believe)
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

brettl

Yeah, that's what mine looks like except for the hand guard. Mine is rear handle but has the white hand guard. Thanks Brian, that's a great looking pair of saws. :)

HolmenTree

The Stihl 020 was introduced in North America in August 1971 as my pic shows here.
Not trying to derail this thread but on the cover of this very magazine is one of the world's greatest chainsaw founders, Robert Paxton McCulloch who was a close friend of Germany's Andreas Stihl.
Here's a little "blast from the past" tease. ;)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

clww

Holmen- Is that you in the first picture? :o :o :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

HolmenTree

Quote from: clww on February 19, 2014, 05:47:26 PM
Holmen- Is that you in the first picture? :o :o :D
:D
I wish , but in 1971 I was only 13 years old :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

H 2 H

Quote from: brettl on February 19, 2014, 04:52:36 PM
Yeah, that's what mine looks like except for the hand guard. Mine is rear handle but has the white hand guard. Thanks Brian, that's a great looking pair of saws. :)

:) the handles on mine have been changed around I have other part saws
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

Thank You Sponsors!