iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

found something new today.

Started by yukon cornelius, February 18, 2014, 09:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

today we were cleaning up the waste pile trying to squeeze out a few more boards for the house and cutting the rest into firewood. my son says "hey dad, whats this?". he brings me a piece of hickory we milled and then cut to firewood length and there is half of a bullet. we milled it in half last fall. dug out a pretty  large caliber bullet. deer rifle I suppose, didn't check it with calipers. I wish it had been a civil war round ball or cannon ball or maybe a large hunk of gold. It didn't dull the blade too badly I guess since I didn't notice it. I haven't hit anything that bad yet. ooo dang!!!, I just jinxed myself. it was still neat to find
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Magicman

Since the civil war ended 150 years ago the chances of finding one of those bullets in a tree are very slim.  I have found several bullets though.  Normally the jacket makes a noise but does not compromise the blade.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

The only times i have had bullets damage a saw was when the target had been in place for a while  :rifle:
But watch out for broadheards they do real damage to the saw
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Ron Wenrich

You don't wish it was a cannonball.  I head some stories about those being cut down around the Antietam battlefield. 

Bullets normally aren't a big deal unless you get into a pile of them.  Some people like to use a tree for a backstop when they target practice. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Armor piercing rounds will spoil your day core is harder than a drywall screw, lead piece of cake. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

I find quite a few bullets through the course of a sawing season!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WellandportRob

I've hit many musket balls in trees from Niagara on the Lake.  Luckily they don't cause any damage to the blade.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

dboyt

Target practice & deer rifle bullets are one thing, but who goes out in the woods with armor piercing bullets?  I have hit bullets in a tree that came from a yard in Joplin, MO.  Joplin used to be a major bootleg whisky production & distribution center, and Bonnie & Clyde were holed up there a while.  Doubt those bullets came from target practice.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

JSNH

Armor piercing ammo is less expensive in some calibers like 50 BMG. I have a maple that has a 50  in it backwards. It bounced back and lodged in with the point facing out. I have to be careful when I cut that one for firewood.

ely

in years past , most if not all 7.62x39 was steel core bullets... not so much anymore. same with military 06, a lot of it was armor piercing.
I like shooting the stuff just fine I just hate sawing any of it. anything with a jacket over it is tough on my saws.

LittleJohn

One of the first summers we were milling, the uncle brought over a couple a monster 34" whitepines that were removed for the addition on a cabin.  First few went great, and then there came the signs (would later learn - DARK STAIN = METAL), yeah apparently this is tree the boys hung the target on - there were no less than 100 - .22 caliber bullets, in that tree.

Few years later same uncle brings over more trees, we start sawing and begin to see staining - knowing its metal, so we take it slow.
Next board worse
next board worse
next board hardly there
next board nothing

So we start digging thru the pile sure enough IN one of the boards was an old slug, never hit it but man were we close  laugh_at

Delawhere Jack

.22 bullets in cherry. Of all the trees on the property that they could have used as backstops, they chose the best one.  :(

yukon cornelius

we finished the pile today and found a whole porcelain insulator. it was grown in completely without a bump or anything. 
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Magicman

Many times  I have had customers excited about finding bullets.  It was used as wall paneling with the bullets showing.

Here is a .22 that I found while making T&G.  Sadly it is on the tongue and completely hidden.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bert

Another sawmiller friend of mine buys all his logs from various sources. Hes kind of a road buyer and bids on piles from various loggers in the area. He wound up with several loads of logs that came out of the back of a sportsmans club rifle range. He was not too happy with his purchase after sawing through several hundred rounds. Worst part about it was there was an earth backstop behind the range. People were missing so badly they hit the trees behind.

He gets himself into all type of tramp buying logs this way... but soldiers on.
Saw you tomorrow!

LittleJohn

Quote from: yukon cornelius on February 19, 2014, 07:45:35 PM
we finished the pile today and found a whole porcelain insulator. it was grown in completely without a bump or anything.

Ouch!!!  I guess metal detectors don't work to well on insulators  :D

Bullets are not too hard on blades, are they, cause are they typically softer metals, unless you have armor piercing.   But hey if you have armor piercing/50+ caliber I might retract my statement about hitting with a bladed.

Thank You Sponsors!