iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Repairing skidder chains.

Started by Dave Shepard, February 18, 2014, 06:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I picked up the set of ring chains for the 208 this morning. They aren't pretty, but I think they are salvageable. They have already been repaired with a few shackles, and at least two of them have broken. What is the best way to repair broken links? Should I get more shackles, or is there a type of weldable hammer shut link that is up to the job? The cleats on the rings are worn down, of course, should I bother welding new cleats on, or is just having any kind of chain going to be a vast enough improvement on their own? I'm dealing with about 18" of snow most places, with some drifting well over 24". If I can't repair these chains, then I don't have chains. There is no money to replace them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

nhlogga

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 18, 2014, 06:14:08 PM
I picked up the set of ring chains for the 208 this morning. They aren't pretty, but I think they are salvageable. They have already been repaired with a few shackles, and at least two of them have broken. What is the best way to repair broken links? Should I get more shackles, or is there a type of weldable hammer shut link that is up to the job? The cleats on the rings are worn down, of course, should I bother welding new cleats on, or is just having any kind of chain going to be a vast enough improvement on their own? I'm dealing with about 18" of snow most places, with some drifting well over 24". If I can't repair these chains, then I don't have chains. There is no money to replace them.

I would put the shackles to them and run 'em. Any chains are better than none at all. Are you putting chains on the front only?
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Dave Shepard

Yes, I was thinking front. That's where they were when we got the machine. I tried to plow out a drifted road here on the farm yesterday, and it wasn't happening. I almost didn't make it back to the barn. Maybe if I had a blade as wide as the tires, but it's about two feet to narrow, so the tires are always in the snow bank. Even just trying to drive across the field with the blade up was a challenge.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

nhlogga

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 18, 2014, 06:21:54 PM
Yes, I was thinking front. That's where they were when we got the machine. I tried to plow out a drifted road here on the farm yesterday, and it wasn't happening. I almost didn't make it back to the barn. Maybe if I had a blade as wide as the tires, but it's about two feet to narrow, so the tires are always in the snow bank. Even just trying to drive across the field with the blade up was a challenge.

I have seen guys chain an old snow plow blade to the skidder blade for plowing snow. Works well.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Dave Shepard

I was thinking about that too. I have an 8' Fisher that didn't hold up too well to being extracted from the frozen mud last week. I might modify to go on the skidder. Of course, I do have an extra valve that isn't being used. Would power angle be too much for a cob job skidder installation? :D

nhlogga

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 18, 2014, 06:34:23 PM
I was thinking about that too. I have an 8' Fisher that didn't hold up too well to being extracted from the frozen mud last week. I might modify to go on the skidder. Of course, I do have an extra valve that isn't being used. Would power angle be too much for a cob job skidder installation? :D

Personally, I wouldn't mess with a power angle. It's all in what you want to do. Be careful, that skidder will break a regular plow blade if you are not careful.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Dave Shepard

I haven't decided to give up on the blade just yet. If I can fix what I broke last week, then it's about an hour to get it mounted on a quick attach frame and use it on my backhoe. Personally, I like using the CIH 5250 Maxxum with the heated cab these days. 8)

nhlogga

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 18, 2014, 06:43:13 PM
I haven't decided to give up on the blade just yet. If I can fix what I broke last week, then it's about an hour to get it mounted on a quick attach frame and use it on my backhoe. Personally, I like using the CIH 5250 Maxxum with the heated cab these days. 8)

A heated cab is nice when plowing snow. Sounds like you got plenty of toys to play with.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Dave Shepard

Yeah, lots of toys, but always a compromise. The Kubota is the handiest, fastest hydraulics and hydro trans, but no cab. Max pushes an 8' blade as fast as you dare, but hydraulics are slow, visibility isn't great. Have a Gehl skidloader with a heated cab, but the door is off, permanently. :D I guess it's better to have too many choices, then to have only a shovel. :)

1270d

keep adding shackles  ;D  one set of chains we finally took off the grapple skidder had over 30 shackles in em :D 

beenthere

How about some pics of the chains so we have a better idea what you are faced with?  thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

I'll try to get some tomorrow. They are just typical skidder ring chains. One of them may be usable as is, and the other, maybe not. There is half of a ring on the one end, and I don't know if the other half is on the other end or not, haven't gotten them all spread out yet. :D Might be an interesting exercise, bending up a ring out of 1" round bar stock.

loggah

Yup keep adding shackles, dont buy the cheapest Chinese junk they will collapse or the pins will strip out, i tried them for about 2 days used up about 20. The type of snowplow you want is a highway one way plow ,they work good i had one rigged up on my franklin,one forest service job i had to plow 2 miles of road . Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Dave Shepard

I probably won't put a plow on it. It'll be spring before we know it, and I can put it off until next year. :D I used to have an 8 1/2' one way plow made a few miles from here, but it got traded off for something.

Maine logger88

I have always used shackles they work pretty good as loggah said the Chinese ones are junk the only way I could ever get them to hold is too weld the pin in. Of course I hate using Chinese stuff anyway
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

snowstorm

trawl shackles $.61 each hamlinton marine. i used a lot of them at times and they held up fine

Dave Shepard

I got a pic of one of the chains. This is the worst spot. I'll check to see if there are any problem areas that I should just chop out a link and put a shackle in, before it breaks. As you can see, there are two breaks here, one above the ring, and one below. Also, you can see the half ring, at upper right, and I don't think there is the other half, so that's an issue.

bushmechanic

I tried welding links back on the rings but then they only broke next to the welds, so stick with shackles for joins. As for the cleats I had good results with welding on grouser bars, it's for crawler tractors but it's hard and won't wear away, also v'd on one end so it's easy to weld on. 

David-L

I will spend at least $100 or more on shackles by the time this winter is over with, been having to winch alot on the hills even with all four wrapped up in chains. slow going, but steady. Shackles are the way to go.

David l

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

jwilly3879

Google anchor shackles, we buy 7/16's for $1.49 each in a box of 100 with free shipping. A drop of Loctite on the pin works good.

David-L

Thank you. Anchor shackles will be looked up.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

JDeere

Add the shackles as needed, but do weld new cleats on the rings. I just did mine (actually had them done) and the difference is night and day. The chains alone don't add that much traction, it is the cleats on the rings that gives the bite. Put a straight edge from ring cleat to ring cleat and you'll probably find you are riding on the chain links, not the rings. A good welder can easily add an inch or more to the cleats. I have not lost a single one yet.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Reddog

As stated, you need the grousers/cleats on the rings to get the best traction.

treechopper40

put the shackles in as needed ive brazed the pins in before then just heat the braze to take them out as far as the cleats on the rings go to a auto junkyard and buy a few leaf springs you can cut them to length with a torch or a bandsaw is how I did mine then weld to the ring the leaf springs work good and wear well too
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

HiTech

When or if you ever get time you can hard surface all the wear points and build up the cleats. A roll of hard surface wire for the mig and some gas and it is surprising what you can do. You need a good bench to work on.

Thank You Sponsors!