iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Id rather eat Play Doe than saw jobs like this.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, February 17, 2014, 08:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A guy comes in this morning while I'm greasing up the mill. I felt sorry for him and his wife.....I could tell they didn't have a lot.
He wanted to build his wife some Cedar shutters.
He's got his own logs......I gave him a price......he said can I pick them up after work?
Like I ain't got other fish to fry (old saying) thats been backing up due to bad weather......I said what the heck, I'll knock out these 7 logs pretty fast.
I did not want to take pics in front of him  :D, so I LOOKED at the logs  electricuted-smiley electricuted-smiley electricuted-smiley:o :o :o
They had found these logs  ::) in the woods.....
He wanted 1x3 1/2 inch planks for shutter framing.
It took a little longer than I expected but what the heck.....it was a nice day and I was glad to be milling again!

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Turned out a lot prettier than I thought they'd look. The first photos had me thinking nice wood for a bonfire.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

bandmiller2

You've done it mate, chicken soup from chicken poop. I love the smell of it but hate to cut it. My old partner made cedar furnature  so I've cut a lot of stuff not much bigger than your fist. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JB Griffin

Shouldn't have to let those dry for very long  :D
Nice job David
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

thecfarm

You know POSTON,if you did not like grits so much,notice the small "g",I could almost be proud that I know ya.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

That's the amazing thing about cedar. You can actually get some useful boards out of a compost heap like that  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

And did you replace his logs for some of your lumber???  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red oaks lumber

and he probably thought he had veneer :D :D way to polish that ol turd david!!
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

No hill for a stepper! slabs are slabs, then there is the heart of the matter,  I'm sure it was a quicky, and he was a happy camper,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on February 17, 2014, 08:35:33 PM
You know POSTON,if you did not like grits so much,notice the small "g",I could almost be proud that I know ya.
GGGGGee....what a nice think to say. Thanks.

Don_Papenburg

Geesh there is hardly any bark on them logs to peal off . 
the old guy does you a favor an you are complainin? :o   ;)      ;D ;D ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Hilltop366

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 17, 2014, 08:59:58 PM

How about:     I'll take back half the nasty things I said about you!  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Hilltop366 on February 17, 2014, 09:12:24 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 17, 2014, 08:59:58 PM

How about:     I'll take back half the nasty things I said about you!  ;D

:D :D :D

Magicman

You did a very good job of doing the right thing.  Take the junk, smile, and recover what usable lumber is there.  Sometimes the customer honestly does not realize how bad his "logs" are.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on February 17, 2014, 09:17:55 PM
I'm not going THAT far.

If I took all the nice things Ray has said about me and converted it into Board Footage.........
I might have enough for a tooth pick.  :D :D :D :D :D

thecfarm

:D  :D   :D   You keep doing good deeds like that and you might get up to a chop stick.  :D

lyle niemi

I wood have a hard time throwing that stuff on me carridge :snowball:

okmulch

That just shows how great cedar is! Half of it rotted away and yet there is still good wood left. Poston, who cares what the logs looked like as long as the customer is happy.  :)
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on February 17, 2014, 09:43:35 PM
:D  :D   :D   You keep doing good deeds like that and you might get up to a chop stick.  :D

Old Chinese profit once said: Man with 1 chop stick....STARVE.  :D :D :D   ( old saying )

Note: I have so much fun on this Forum.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

thecfarm

You have a looooooooooong ways to get to two chop sticks.  :D

kensfarm

If I saw that one log in the woods.. the only thing I'd do would be to step over it.. def. wouldn't bring it home to momma.   Beautiful color.. 

mikeb1079

QuoteYou've done it mate, chicken soup from chicken poop

ha!  we must be hanging around magicman too much b/c that's exactly what i thought after seeing those pics.   :D :D :laugh:

i can't believe you coaxed that lumber outta those "logs"   8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: mikeb1079 on February 17, 2014, 10:24:05 PM
QuoteYou've done it mate, chicken soup from chicken poop

ha!  we must be hanging around magicman too much b/c that's exactly what i thought after seeing those pics.   :D :D :laugh:

How did chicken poop remind you of MM ?  say_what    Never mind.  ;D

mesquite buckeye

Way to rip 'em Poston. ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!